07-01-2017 04:18 AM
52 123
tools
    Why would anyone do that, commercially speaking?

I mean assuming there is this widely speculated "reboot"* what would be the practical or logical. function of this?

*(which I personally don't think there is, but that's another issue, I think it will be, as insiders have specifically termed it, when referring to the new mobile SKU "a branch", an offshoot, like surface is to tablets/laptops, a sibling, a new catergory, not a replacement or reboot).
    I think they want to get rid of their user base because the user base can be loud if it wants to be. If MS wants to get rid of it's bad (mobile) rep they talk about their mobile efforts have to become as quiet as possible.

Their next attempt on mobile devices won't be: "hey, we got new phones with Windows 10 Mobile". It will be "hey, look at our new mini mobile PCs". Maybe they will even avoid the word "mobile" and call it "portable" or "pocket" or something.
    07-01-2017 03:32 AM
    I think they want to get rid of their user base because the user base can be loud if it wants to be. If MS wants to get rid of it's bad (mobile) rep they talk about their mobile efforts have to become as quiet as possible.

Their next attempt on mobile devices won't be: "hey, we got new phones with Windows 10 Mobile". It will be "hey, look at our new mini mobile PCs". Maybe they will even avoid the word "mobile" and call it "portable" or "pocket" or something.
    So you think by burning hard, the vocal but tiny userbase of mobile users, they'll be less inclined to complain? That this will be somehow helpful for PR?

I don't think anyone in the mainstream even knows about windows phone, nor will any amount of tech press really matter to them. And anybody it tech news will mention it anyway, just like they would things going as far back as beta max.

Unless MSFT has some kind of MIB forgetmeray, I don't see how that would work. Besides anyone that I show, or see's my 950, acts like they did when e-cigs first came about - a curious and puzzled look - what is that thing?

Nobody knows windows phone. What little reputation it has, is amongst a tiny group of people nobody in the mainstream remotely cares about - tech enthusiasts. They hold about as much sway over the public as hi-fi audio junkies, EDM bros, bb10 fans and furries. Well maybe slightly more than that, as people might read a review that makes passing mention of their history whilst focusing primarily on actual features - but all the same, virtually no influence whatsoever.

Previous customers are your most likely future customers. Always.

They outrank the conversion percentages of first time customers by many factors. No company worth its salt would get rid of existing consumers intentionally.

Which is why MSFT overpromised 8.1 phone users on upgrade, and supported those phones way longer than any android OEM would. The only phone company that has offered more upgrade support is apple - and they almost entirely make money off phones and have like a dozen models to support with pretty similar hardware.

In the end, it wasn't remotely economic for MSFT to support that many phones. The ones that were older, or had too many bugs to fix, were dropped.

Actual marketshare and userbase only really dropped off after the sale of nokia anyway. People are only really leaving because there's no new phones (and that's perhaps the area where MSFT actions are curious - current 1.5 percent installed userbase in the US, and that more than double that amount that have already left - that should be captured, really some time in the next year or year and a half, MSFT should release _something_)

The lack of upgrades never bothered anyone in the mainstream public anyway-I just read yesterday; nearly eighty percent of windows phone users are still on 8.1 when the majority if those could have upgraded if they wanted to.

Your overthinking all of this. Everyday people don't care about software upgrades. Phone enthusiasts do.

Rarely, someone may ask when they buy a phone "is this running the latest android". Rarely, but it happens. Maybe 1 in 20. Maybe 1 in 40 or 50 might be interested in an upgrade. Ask most people what version of android they have and they'll have no idea. Is the average person worried about android version upgrades? Absolutely not. Nor is the average windows phone user.

WE care. They don't.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 07-01-2017 at 05:12 AM.
    07-01-2017 04:18 AM
52 123