Will Cshell available for all w10m?

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi Dan!
After reading the shell article. One thing came into my mind. Will it available for only w10 compatible mobiles including 1gb ram phones or for snap dragon 6xx +?

AbhiWindows10

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I really hope not!! Because that would mean, Microsoft will burn their loyal Windows 10 Mobile users once again I think this will require "good" hardware which reduces the chances of L650 getting it even lesser.

Things like Landscape Start Screen, unified action centre, more options in Live tile settings have been asked for a LONG time now. If I remember right, there are 86,000 upvotes for landscape start screen. That's the highest I've ever seen!!

C-Shell would also have more improvements beneath the surface. Performance should be better.
So, I just hope, at least the x50 Lumia's get this. L550, 650, 950/XL and of course, the Alcatel Idol and HP Elite X3.

86,000 upvotes https://insider.windows.com/en-us/f...d=cae8bef6-904b-4fb2-9c88-11e974b2c611&form=2 :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to quote myself here...

While I would love to say yes and that it's technologically feasible and likely to happen, I would bet against it.

Past demos on older hardware do not mean much of anything going forward as the early Continuum demo on the 1520 demonstrates.

Also, given Microsoft's abandonment of most of the remaining Windows 10 Mobile phones with the Creator's Update (and past behavior) does not make me confident that doing what is "possible" is a priority.

(The Snapdragon 800 in the 930 is certainly more powerful than the 400 in the 640 but nope! 830 with identical specs and chipset as the 640? Nope!)

Now if they came out and explicitly announced that existing hardware like the 4s would be getting this new functionality, I would still wait until it's out on production phones before believing it.

(MS still sold BLU Win Jr phones in stores/online, labeled as getting the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade both before AND for some time AFTER announcing that it will not.)

In short, I would not buy a Windows Phone, or any phone in fact, based on the prospect of future features.

Noshaba Khatoon

May 9, 2017
Visit site
really, after all the gloom and doom articles around the Web, and certain Android and iPhone guides here on wc, this piece of news suddenly had me super excited about w10m, a level of excitement i haven't been to for a long time (wrt w10m, not other stuff on my life) .

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I reckon it'll be made available to 950/xl, 4s and x3.

I think there's a good chance MS wants to modernize the hardware standard somehow.

Reading between the lines, I think FCU will be a HUGE update, include cshell, Cortana skills, FDS, nitelite, the changes to the keyboard - but that MAY be it for existing phones. That however would bring the existing flagships up to parity with whatevers next for awhile.

Obviously new form factor "Andromeda" device will be released this year or next, and whatever MS and HP are cooking up together for the x3 refresh should be this year- and I have a feeling they'll be using those two devices as reference hardware from 2018 on.

Let's be honest 64 bit is overdue, so it might just be they want to switch to that. Whatever the reason, they discouraged whartonbrooks from making their phone saying they wouldn't support it in the FCU - that implies that FCU may be the last great update for us, or at least that they intend on slowly culling the list of supported devices so they can move onto a new build for newer hardware somehow. (it's possible I suppose they'll support the big four, for a few more updates after that yet, this is largely speculation!)

64 bit would make a lot of sense, to explain this, because QUALCOMM don't make 32 bit chips anymore. But we should IMO get the FCU for "the big four", it should be HUGE IMO, and past that ---shrug.

I don't think 650/550 or the others will _handle_ the changes. The changes to the UI alone may be too much for 1gb ram (Ie fluent design).

Some of those older phones were up to spec but were scrapped because they were hard to maintain compatibility with win10m for. Ie they were windows 8 era phones.

However it's likely IMO you'll be able to hack an install some way, just not guaranteed that people will like the result. I could be wrong there - you could maybe just switch FDS off, or remove transparency or visual effects, and then otherwise I don't see why not...

More shrugs?

Last edited:

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I would hope so but we'll have to wait and see. I'm coming back to WP after a good few years out after I managed to water damage my Idol 4 running Lollipop. Snagged myself a Lumia 550 for £45, just waiting for it to arrive. You never know, if it's not available for lower powered devices officially, we might be able to get it through interop tools or something.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading that Microsoft may set the SD 820 chipset as a baseline for Cshell, so that would leave out the Lumia 950/xl devices.

Are people going to find ways to hack it on there? Maybe. Probably. But the experience is likely to be....not great.

derrieger

May 17, 2017
Visit site
Hi Dan!
After reading the shell article. One thing came into my mind. Will it available for only w10 compatible mobiles including 1gb ram phones or for snap dragon 6xx +?

Well, in case there will be a Surface Phone / Mobile which only scratches the confirming of already leaked infos by a far distance, it simply won't matter to me. I'll even sell the car, a kidney and the first-born just to have one. :D

To be rational, I don't think this will happen. MS once promised the W10M update for all devices with a Gig of RAM (?) and then didn't deliver. Chances are, that either history repeats or they'll continue treating their cutomer devices like they used to: like an unwanted step-child. Resulting in excluding any Lumia device from such thing as W10ARM/CShell in the first place.
Which is my personal impression. While I look at the great things, MS is achieving with Surface right now on the business side of life, it's hard to accept the fact that consumer devices and software from the same company are such crap in comparison.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Lumia but imagine it having the quality, marketing and MS's support of a Surface device.

And at last: it will be a lot easier for MS to discontinue any support for "pre-CShell" devices and instead, start over.

Rafael Sol

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
For some reason I think it will not make the cut for devices that aren't Continuum-enabled. That's bad because a Snapdragon 800 or 801 is pretty-capable still we won't have Win10Mo on some of these devices (officially, at least).

But let's hope for the best. I f new hardware is required, it's a good excuse to keep up with competition on top-dog hardware and we will have an experience with no compromises. Windows was once the fastest on lower hardware, but it won't stick anymore, we need devices with a wow factor to keep running.

I'm pretty sure that Snapdragon 835 will be the Hero processor for Windows 10 this year and CShell will be a important part of it.

Last edited:

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
It was a tad laggy, so makes sense he'd show it on the highest hardware. Assuming its streamlined, one could always hack it, so it can run on a 950 maybe...

He showed it on the x3 because the build would cause a bootloop on the 950. That's a sign of things to come (I know, MS could always add support for the 950 in future builds)

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
He showed it on the x3 because the build would cause a bootloop on the 950. That's a sign of things to come (I know, MS could always add support for the 950 in future builds)

Most likely the x3 was the reference hardware for the pre-alpha. HP work pretty closely with ms these days. I doubt this current pre-alpha would run on anything but the x3 (or its refresh)

It's really going to be up to MSFT what devices they will offer support to, but it would seem a bit counter-productive to only have it run on a device that almost nobody owns. The 950/950XL and 4s are all more common than the x3 in the wild. And up until recently the 950 has been used as reference hardware (which is why the 4s is sometimes a bit buggy).

I think the big FCU for mobile will be like 7.8 in a way, possibly the last big update for existing hardware (it should include cshell, timeline, Cortana skills, nightlite - a real big number - no point in that for one rarely used phone). If that's true it would make sense to include all the big four in it. Help keep the fire burning a little for the transition to whatevers next (64 bit and 835 most likely, if MSFTS rumoured three mobile devices and HPs refresh can draw in some more OEMs and some consumer interest).

The fact that this is designed to run on 32 bit at all is telling. If they were simply 'dumping their existing consumers' (which would be a bit silly), they wouldn't bother writing it for 32 bit. That they have suggests they'll extend it to 950/xl at minimum.

Just seems logical to me, but I guess no one knows for sure.

Although to be fair, I'm not super fussed. I mainly use continuum for streaming not work. I've got a desktop, tablet and mobile. My tablet has a little BT keyboard and mouse. Cshell is great for the OS vision, but I wouldn't really miss it. I'm probably more exited about large tiles than continuum multi-window, lol.

In fact as far as cshell goes, I'm more interested in the console/desktop meeting point and tablets - if there will be any mid point scaling there. I very much like how everythings coming together though...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos