Do you think MS will ever have the same "Cool Factor" as apple has today?

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Twitter if filled with apple stuff before during and after its events, apple related hashtags are at the most popular on twitter (more than 5 #)!!!
wp_ss_20170605_0001.png

LumiaInspire

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Hey, I am not sure. After the presentation of Surface Laptop I thought like 'damn, they got Apple'. I mean, Microsoft tries more and more to produce completely HighEnd devices. With Surface Laptop they created a lifestyle product. They were on many fashion blogs... But I think they still have to do a lot of work to become more like Apple. Many people don't even know Microsoft apart of Windows. They mostly see MS as the old nerdy company. But I hope they get more popular and open some Stores in Europe eg.

erfanjafar

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hopefully when we see full windows running on phones. I would definitely brag about it when thats a real thing. Will have to see what surface phone brings. We can expect more universal apps if full windows becomes mobile!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft wants to be considered cool they need products that aren't just for work and school. Smartwatches, something like Android Auto/Carplay, a home assistant like Alexa or Google Home would all help. As cool as the Surface looks, it's a computer. Computers aren't cool. They're commodities.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, while not 'cool' the devices are worthwhile. Keep in mind that Jobs worked very hard to make a cult like following for Apple products. Far cry from when my HS friends laughed at my Apple IIe when comparing to their far 'cooler' Commmodore and Amiga computers.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, while not 'cool' the devices are worthwhile. Keep in mind that Jobs worked very hard to make a cult like following for Apple products. Far cry from when my HS friends laughed at my Apple IIe when comparing to their far 'cooler' Commmodore and Amiga computers.

Yup. I had the first iPhone (still have it in a box somewhere) and everyone though it was terrible because it had no physical buttons. "It will never catch on" I believe is what many said.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

KJones75

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I think MS's "cool factor" is definitely growing fast, except maybe in the phone arena.

I just had people asking me about my Surface Pro 3 (which is what, 3 years old now?) at a meeting today, and they seemed really impressed.

And the Surface Studio announcement last year definitely got a lot of attention.

anon(10215379)

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Good question Fahim. Just watched the WWCD 2017 keynote and my answer is no. Not right now or in the near future. Not if they don't up their game in apps and mobile phones. MS is too focused on productivity software IMHO.

For example, there is no car play alternative - as some have noted no, smart watch (MS should not have killed Nokia's first gen smart watch. Instead, they should have sold it along side the MS Band. Can you imagine the MS band functionality in the Nokia smart watch design?) and no amazon echo equivalent.

As I watched the keynote I was impressed by how much Apple values its developers. Apple has built a foundation starting with the great iPhone, a stunning apple store full of apps from which other technologies and innovation can sprout from. MS mobile OS is amazing, Windows 10 is finally the great, what we have always wanted. MS has so many good things but no synergy between them. The Apple ecosystem has great synergy. This inspires creativity which in turn pushes innovation and the fun factor. Plus Apple just has a better sense of marketing, of pantomime and event than MS.

One day, maybe, MS will be just as fun as Apple but it has a long way to go.

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I am not sure. After the presentation of Surface Laptop I thought like 'damn, they got Apple'. I mean, Microsoft tries more and more to produce completely HighEnd devices. With Surface Laptop they created a lifestyle product. They were on many fashion blogs... But I think they still have to do a lot of work to become more like Apple. Many people don't even know Microsoft apart of Windows. They mostly see MS as the old nerdy company. But I hope they get more popular and open some Stores in Europe eg.

With W10M and phone they messed up their brand image.
But I think with the surface line up all of that will probably change. Also if the surface phone really does come out I can hardly image the revolution that will come out in the mobile industry

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Brand image varies from country to country- some have little to no experience with either companies while some have had a good exposure to both companies

I believe when the surface studio launched, surface book, surface pro and surface laptop - those were deemed very interesting by many - the surface studio garnered a lot of interest at the time as well

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I think the "Surface" lineup definitely has heads turning. However, in India, people are still "apple, apple apple" while there are much better options out there (even barring the surface lineup). It would take a lot of efforts from MS to achieve this...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
For my two cents worth on this I will put it this way.

Microsoft is too used to dealing with enterprise IT professionals and has very little to no experience with consumers, even though they produce consumer products.

We can talk about brand till we're blue in the face but when people hear Microsoft, they think work, productivity and PC. They might think XBox if they're into that sort of thing.

People buy laptops because they need to do something. They buy Office and other MS software and services for the same reason. There is no personal attachment to these things other than 'I need to do X'.

This is the main difference between Apple and MS. Apple is a consumer focused company. MS is not and it's very very obvious. If MS wants to be 'cool' it has to change it's focus, either that or split the company in two so they can focus properly.

On another thread here there's been a supposed leak of the 'Surface Phone'. If the images are real (I doubt it) but lets say they are, MS is way off track. Those things are Fugly.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/m...ce-mobile-leaked-ms-china-social-account.html

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think Microsoft is actually gaining a bit of a "cool factor" with their Surface line of products. They're nice, and beautiful, and can do things Apple fans can only dream of with their Macs. But it'll be a long while before Microsoft is the "new Apple."

I would like to add that I think if any company can do it, it's Apple, and that I also think Apple is slowly losing that "Apple-ness" that other companies seek so hard. They're not the innovators anymore. Every year it's less about innovation and more about being the most powerful, which used to be how Windows OEM's did it. And it's like they're making changes just for the sake of changes. They've hit a wall with iOS's UI/UX design and now they're just moving things around and changing things for no real reason. I personally think the new design for the Control Center, notification center, and App Store are atrocious. Apple makes great products but lately it feels like they're coasting. Then you have Microsoft releasing things like the new Surface Pro and the Surface Studio, and working to build one operating system to rule them all with an adaptable and fluent UI design that marries consistency with beauty. Microsoft isn't there yet, but they're closing fast.

All that's left for Microsoft to do is actually transition from that "nerdy company" to a modern, open company that can properly communicate with their consumers and bring products to the whole world in a timely fashion. And for them to figure out what the fluff they're doing with Mobile.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Surface products have gave Microsoft some cool factor back as well as being great products....but I can't help but think it's only a matter of time before they take their eye off the ball and blow it all (again?)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05