Windows 10 Mobile

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Only you can answer that. Does it still do everything you need? Is there something (feature or app) missing that you absolutely need? Is your current device working properly?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Only you can answer that. Does it still do everything you need? Is there something (feature or app) missing that you absolutely need? Is your current device working properly?

^^ This

For me, yeah, I'm sticking with it, at least until MS's next launch of mobile next year (hopefully). My phone does everything I need it to do so it would be kind of stupid for me to change.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
^^ This

For me, yeah, I'm sticking with it, at least until MS's next launch of mobile next year (hopefully). My phone does everything I need it to do so it would be kind of stupid for me to change.

But does it play music using Groove, forget it MS, Windows Phone and Windows is now dead as a viable consumer product. I have been a massive fan these last years, kick after kick, but this time the kick has got home and they have lost me as a future customer let alone a WP user.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
So I have to find a new way to play the several hundred albums I had from my music pass, sorry I am just so pissed off with MS and this is from someone with 3 Xbox's, 3 surface pro's and 3 active Windows phones in the house (We have plenty of dead ones as well) and a current user of Skype numbers, Skype subscriptions, Groove subscriptions, Xbox Gold subscriptions and Office 365, MS have just lost a lot of customers today, not just me, but there is no way in the world I could advise any one to buy anything from MS anymore.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So I have to find a new way to play the several hundred albums I had from my music pass, sorry I am just so pissed off with MS and this is from someone with 3 Xbox's, 3 surface pro's and 3 active Windows phones in the house (We have plenty of dead ones as well) and a current user of Skype numbers, Skype subscriptions, Groove subscriptions, Xbox Gold subscriptions and Office 365, MS have just lost a lot of customers today, not just me, but there is no way in the world I could advise any one to buy anything from MS anymore.

Companies have to make cost-cutting decisions all the time. Sometimes they're not even about savings, it's the nature of the beast. Judging from some of the comments on WC, it seems Groove was not a very good app. It was severely crippled on Android so what possible reason would Microsoft have for keeping it as anything other than a basic player (which is what it'll be) for the few Windows phones out there. Those who have subscriptions that extend beyond the cut-off date should get their refunds and/or deep discounts to migrate to Spotify or whatever they choose.

GM dropped Pontiac, Saab, Hummer and Saturn in one fell swoop 7 years ago leaving millions twisting in the wind and you're complaining about Groove having its legs chopped off? C'mon man.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Companies have to make cost-cutting decisions all the time. Sometimes they're not even about savings, it's the nature of the beast. Judging from some of the comments on WC, it seems Groove was not a very good app. It was severely crippled on Android so what possible reason would Microsoft have for keeping it as anything other than a basic player (which is what it'll be) for the few Windows phones out there. Those who have subscriptions that extend beyond the cut-off date should get their refunds and/or deep discounts to migrate to Spotify or whatever they choose.

GM dropped Pontiac, Saab, Hummer and Saturn in one fell swoop 7 years ago leaving millions twisting in the wind and you're complaining about Groove having its legs chopped off? C'mon man.

For me, its not that I thought Groove was that great, I only play music probably 5 times a week (almost once a day). I did have the Groove music pass and Spotify is probably a better service for the same price. Its just another service MS offered in the consumer space being killed and I look at it as another Red Flag. For example, I know W10m is on its way out (if one believes all the One Core rumors) but I was still willing to get the X3 when its offered on Verizon later this month. I figured I could use it for 2 years and give the One Core new mobile device some time to get settled in before I move in that direction. (I have a bad history of getting new devices on launch day and then living through the growing pains). But, why would MS be killing Groove if they know a new mobile device (since most people listen to music on mobile devices) is around the corner? Evidence one isn't around the corner or, it isn't what I was hoping for.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
But, why would MS be killing Groove if they know a new mobile device (since most people listen to music on mobile devices) is around the corner? Evidence one isn't around the corner or, it isn't what I was hoping for.
They're not killing Groove, they're dropping the subscription streaming service portion of it. It will continue to function as the default music player for your onboard storage or your OneDrive content.

You can look at it as just another in a long, endless line of apps or services leaving the platform. But this isn't anything new to us so I fail to see the shock of some users.

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
They're not killing Groove, they're dropping the subscription streaming service portion of it. It will continue to function as the default music player for your onboard storage or your OneDrive content.

You can look at it as just another in a long, endless line of apps or services leaving the platform. But this isn't anything new to us so I fail to see the shock of some users.
@fatclue_98 for me and many some others, we are surprised because less than a month ago Groove was offering four free months of streaming access and the premium features if you renewed. This move to shutdown Groove premium wasn't secret, maybe that was the point to see if they could spark enough interest to hold on. It is bad or a surprise because, until two weeks ago they were pushing Groove as a long-term product. So it is a lack of confidence that Microsoft can be trusted to come through with products and services. I am not dropping my Office365/Onedrive accounts, changing from Outlook.com, but I am ready to move onto a different well supported ecosystem. Spotify, not a big fan was the final step, it's like Pandora/Groove but the radio and music search is miserable. So when I get my refund (so much for four free months since the service ends in three), I'll get a Pandora Premium subscription to replace the music streaming without ads, that can be offline, and have playlist. Unfortunate that I cannot import/export those list from Groove. Yes Groove still works, but it is hardly the best pure music player out there, the Onedrive feature baked in is nice but is not unique. So the 950 XL is headed out with Groove, but the Surface Pro and other items I am staying with for now, probably not going to buy anything new for a while anyways, but when I do it might have to be someone else more reliable.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
@fatclue_98 for me and many some others, we are surprised because less than a month ago Groove was offering four free months of streaming access and the premium features if you renewed. This move to shutdown Groove premium wasn't secret, maybe that was the point to see if they could spark enough interest to hold on. It is bad or a surprise because, until two weeks ago they were pushing Groove as a long-term product. So it is a lack of confidence that Microsoft can be trusted to come through with products and services. I am not dropping my Office365/Onedrive accounts, changing from Outlook.com, but I am ready to move onto a different well supported ecosystem. Spotify, not a big fan was the final step, it's like Pandora/Groove but the radio and music search is miserable. So when I get my refund (so much for four free months since the service ends in three), I'll get a Pandora Premium subscription to replace the music streaming without ads, that can be offline, and have playlist. Unfortunate that I cannot import/export those list from Groove. Yes Groove still works, but it is hardly the best pure music player out there, the Onedrive feature baked in is nice but is not unique. So the 950 XL is headed out with Groove, but the Surface Pro and other items I am staying with for now, probably not going to buy anything new for a while anyways, but when I do it might have to be someone else more reliable.

I can understand users wanting to ditch their Windows phones. What I don’t understand is those who claim they won’t give up their Microsoft services yet carry on about MS being unreliable and such. If the platform is so unreliable, make a clean break. I’ve read many comments about people wanting to drop their PCs, Xbox and so forth. The nearest Apple store is more than willing to take your money. You’ll definitely get better hardware, better support and if you opt for an iPhone you’ll get premium apps as well.

But I have a feeling those Macs and iPhones will soon be populated with Outlook, Word, Excel and OneDrive. It’s very chic to bash Microsoft and they’ve done plenty to earn it, but the selective bashing is what makes me laugh hardest.

Those who go all in on Google or Apple have my respect. It’s the closet Windows users that need to put the stones down before they break their glass houses.

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
This situation though is similar again to my last preferred device, Blackberry. Upgraded to a "modern" design candy bar, released a new version over their OS skipping 9 (sound familiar? Microsoft and Apple) with BB10. Lost their core customers, business, sold out to Android.

It is about them being unreliable for consumer space items they were venturing into, and doing a good job, but then hamstringing their teams. They are unreliable on that front, but on productivity side they still own the hemisphere. My downfall was getting my wife switched over, the iPhone is a much better device than the 950 XL, I still love my XL but since I can get everything I use Microsoft on the iPhone (short of Cortana fully integrated) and the DLNA HDMI wifi adapters I bought working with screen mirroring, I am not losing out. Again, Surface Pro is still staying put as the iPad is not even remotely as close for what I use them for... with you on the selective bashing, but Microsoft is huge and only certain people need flogged, need some Monty Python music here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb