Spotify over Groove Music?

Prometheus2021

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
What are your thoughts regarding the latest move by MS in choosing Spotify over their own service Groove Music? Is there a beneficial move on the long run, or is MS just not that interested in their own products and services anymore? Should die-hard MS fans take this as hint that the company isn't reciprocating the same commitment the fans have had for years and it's time to jump ship?

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Lot of people here and even on other Microsoft sites are in state of disappointment, some may even feel worse than that especially who are really invested in.

Personally I feel so much disappointment yet at the same time, not surprised since they never seem to care or out-of-touch with consumers. Though Groove Music wasn't really something that people expected to be killed off that swiftly especially how much effort they put on that app, except on iOS and Android which is almost useless and now useless without streaming service. The only big problem was it wasn't really marketed at all, not even a dedicated social media page.

Is it beneficial for the long run, hard to say. For Microsoft maybe since it save them some cost of maintaining and developing the service and even the app, which will eventually stop improving anytime by now. Putting the app in maintenance mode when they are finished with their roadmap. Only to change on few things if its really needed. Maybe for Microsoft, other music streaming services may take the platform bit more seriously since there is no competition from Microsoft themselves.

For consumers? Well for most, nothing changed since they never knew Groove Music since it wasn't really advertised anyways, except for some pop-ups maybe which many might get annoyed and turning it off. For consumers who are an actual customer? Well they are the ones who got burned by this, both for streamers and just want an convenient place to buy music since Microsoft Store will also discontinue their music catalogue. Customer's confidence and trust is broken as a result, and maybe be harder to bring them back.

If this trend continues, then Microsoft consumer presence is really in jeopardy if not already. People will continue to treat Windows as an OS preinstalled with their computers, until they are lured to buy to another platform. Gamers stay on Windows because of games available, not because they like Microsoft. Enterprise is really where the most satisfaction to Microsoft product, and this likely the effect of shrugging off consumers since they are too successful on that field that they are blinded by it.

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Don't assume that consumers are the only ones signing on with Microsoft and then being burned. I know I was pissed off when they dropped Silverlight. I still miss it compared to mishmash that is Javascript with html. It is all sad. SOOO reminds me of IBMs fall into irrelevance.

Orlando Parkinson

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Well, Microsoft should place the focus on our locally stored music features.... Like better transition effects, large album art for the now playing screen.. And better fade effect when going back to the album list from an album

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just got my official email from Microsoft regarding the Groove situation, my SP4, 950XL and work supplied Samsung A5 are all on and in front of me, guess what one pinged with an email notification........

Says it all!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Spotify is probably a better service and in the long run the people who want a music pass and end up with Spotify are better off. It's just the killing of the Groove Music pass is just another red flag that MS doesn't care about the consumer market. As i said in another thread, it kind of makes one wonder about their One Core retrenching. Most people listen to music on mobile devices. MS must not have too much belief in their new mobile strategy if they are killing off the service with it so close in being realized.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Prometheus2021

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I really like Groove Music, it had so much potential, the last updates really liked the fact that I could sync all my music to multiple devices, and take it anywhere. I hope MS comes up with a solution for that because if not it is will be a major let down. On the upside glad I made a Spotify account. It'll have a larger library of content so I'll be able to find more albums/songs that I really like. Why can't MS ever see things thru specially with things that have potential, maybe a partnership w/ Spotify without killing Groove Music? I don't know, at this point I'm starting to become disillusion by MS recent moves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs