Surface Phone: Reality or Wishful Thinking?

Prometheus2021

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Is there hope that a "Surface Phone' will be available in the near future? Or should this be our wake up call, and throw in the towel just like Nadella has done with Windows Mobile and move on? What are your thoughts?

As a die-hard Windows Phone user, going back to the good old days of Windows Mobile 6.5. Having owned an HTC Wizard, an HTC Fuze, an HTC HD2, and all the way down to my current Lumia 950XL, having to put up with the "refresh" of Windows Phone 7, then Windows 8, and 8.1, the news of Windows Phone being "dead' is very painful, and frustrating thing to hear, specially when other platforms are getting the preferred treatment for MS Services and Apps. After slowly coming to terms with the news that the platform will not be invested on in the near future, I am starting to wonder if it is even worth it to keep on trucking like an obstinate MS fanatic that I've always been. Should I just give in to the Androids or iPhones like the rest of the people seem to be doing, and be assimilated in to the rest of the heard, or is there still any sliver of hope that Windows Mobile will arisen from the ashes like a phoenix and usher in a new world of mobile computing? :cry:

Tyler Wandtke

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Seems like an awful lot of work for Microsoft to invest in Windows 10 Arm, CShell, Andromeda, and UWP for it to only amount to Desktops and Laptops. If I had to guess they're killing W10M only because it isn't Windows 10 and the mobile development has been handed to the Desktop team who isn't ready yet. Joe Belfiore is only focused on Android and IOS because he failed to bring in users on W10M. Microsoft is too big to give into making an Android phone so here's to hoping they're going to start making phones more like PCs. Imagine being able to buy any phone you want and dual boot operating systems.

Prometheus2021

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Tyler Wandtke
Seems like an awful lot of work for Microsoft to invest in Windows 10 Arm, CShell, Andromeda, and UWP for it to only amount to Desktops and Laptops. If I had to guess they're killing W10M only because it isn't Windows 10 and the mobile development has been handed to the Desktop team who isn't ready yet. Joe Belfiore is only focused on Android and IOS because he failed to bring in users on W10M. Microsoft is too big to give into making an Android phone so here's to hoping they're going to start making phones more like PCs. Imagine being able to buy any phone you want and dual boot operating systems.

That is a very pleasant thought, to be able to dual boot different OSs on the same device. Still I want to just be able to do everything using my one device of choice, and since I have almost everything in my arsenal MS branded, I would like for this device to be the much rumored (and maybe at this point "never gonna happen") Surface Phone. I really love the designed of the Surface brand and the innovations they have brought. I specially like the idea of a foldable device that will be bundled with a pen just like the Surface Pro.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Is there hope that a "Surface Phone' will be available in the near future? Or should this be our wake up call, and throw in the towel just like Nadella has done with Windows Mobile and move on? What are your thoughts?

As a die-hard Windows Phone user, going back to the good old days of Windows Mobile 6.5. Having owned an HTC Wizard, an HTC Fuze, an HTC HD2, and all the way down to my current Lumia 950XL, having to put up with the "refresh" of Windows Phone 7, then Windows 8, and 8.1, the news of Windows Phone being "dead' is very painful, and frustrating thing to hear, specially when other platforms are getting the preferred treatment for MS Services and Apps. After slowly coming to terms with the news that the platform will not be invested on in the near future, I am starting to wonder if it is even worth it to keep on trucking like an obstinate MS fanatic that I've always been. Should I just give in to the Androids or iPhones like the rest of the people seem to be doing, and be assimilated in to the rest of the heard, or is there still any sliver of hope that Windows Mobile will arisen from the ashes like a phoenix and usher in a new world of mobile computing? :cry:

I think that if you buy the left over Windows Phones like HP Elite X3, Lumia 950 and L950 xl now, it can last you another 2 to 3 years. In that time, I am sure that something "new" will come up. It can be Microsoft or not. I do not care now. But I want something new and better and Android does not fit in any of these categories.

Prometheus2021

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Satish Singh
I think that if you buy the left over Windows Phones like HP Elite X3, Lumia 950 and L950 xl now, it can last you another 2 to 3 years. In that time, I am sure that something "new" will come up. It can be Microsoft or not. I do not care now. But I want something new and better and Android does not fit in any of these categories.

I hope we the "New" device sooner rather than later, I do not want to be waiting long for a device that meets my needs.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I hope we the "New" device sooner rather than later, I do not want to be waiting long for a device that meets my needs.

Ummmm...talk about not paying attention :)

A major player at MS has indicated that Microsoft is "not" focusing on mobile presently.
I understand that MS has been leading people to believe that WM has been alive for some time now.

It's time to re-group and find alternatives or continue knowing that WM is on life support that will end very soon (my opinion)

Troy Tiscareno

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
99% of mobile users are on iOS and Android. Nadella recognizes that, and his mobile focus is on providing MS apps and services for those platforms - because that's where the users are.

If MS released a "surface phone", what percentage of those people would switch? Clearly, well under 2%, which means there's no point in doing it, because it would have the same problem that WinPhone has had all this time: a lack of developer interest.

Yes, MS has been working on various "solutions" for that problem - but, again, developers just aren't interested, and until that changes, nothing else matters.

People don't want to run apps with a desktop UI on mobile phones, and few have any desire to use their phone as a PC. Maybe someday in the future that will change, but today, most people just don't care, and so developers don't care. No developers = no platform.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
99% of mobile users are on iOS and Android. Nadella recognizes that, and his mobile focus is on providing MS apps and services for those platforms - because that's where the users are.

If MS released a "surface phone", what percentage of those people would switch? Clearly, well under 2%, which means there's no point in doing it, because it would have the same problem that WinPhone has had all this time: a lack of developer interest.

Yes, MS has been working on various "solutions" for that problem - but, again, developers just aren't interested, and until that changes, nothing else matters.

People don't want to run apps with a desktop UI on mobile phones, and few have any desire to use their phone as a PC. Maybe someday in the future that will change, but today, most people just don't care, and so developers don't care. No developers = no platform.

I will ask you a question. What do you think was the market share of Nokia and BB in 2007? Still Apple under Steve Jobs launched iPhone. If Steve Jobs had paid heed to the market share of Symbian, iPhones would never had seen the daylight. Instead he himself supervised the design of iPhones and made sure that it did not become a catastrophe like Lumia 950. Products are neither good nor bad. It's their implementation that makes them good or bad. Windows phones failed not because of the market share of Android and iOS or because of lack of apps. It failed because it was poorly implemented and the only one responsible for this is Microsoft & its CEO.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I will ask you a question. What do you think was the market share of Nokia and BB in 2007? Still Apple under Steve Jobs launched iPhone. If Steve Jobs had paid heed to the market share of Symbian, iPhones would never had seen the daylight. Instead he himself supervised the design of iPhones and made sure that it did not become a catastrophe like Lumia 950. Products are neither good nor bad. It's their implementation that makes them good or bad. Windows phones failed not because of the market share of Android and iOS or because of lack of apps. It failed because it was poorly implemented and the only one responsible for this is Microsoft & its CEO.

Good thoughts. The iPhone of 2007 was in no way similar to the Lumia 950 in 2015, or any other WP/WM device for that matter. The iPhone embraced the concept of a non-stylus touch interface with a virtual keyboard. WP/WM, on the other hand, was another "me too" device.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Good thoughts. The iPhone of 2007 was in no way similar to the Lumia 950 in 2015, or any other WP/WM device for that matter. The iPhone embraced the concept of a non-stylus touch interface with a virtual keyboard. WP/WM, on the other hand, was another "me too" device.

I think Continuum in addition to UWP could have become a killer feature if it was implemented properly.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
There was a time (the late 80's) when 99% of ALL computing was done on an IBM compatible PC... if Apple would have thrown in the towel back then, they "DEFINITELY" wouldn't be where they are today. I, too, want a G.D. Windows OS phone!!!!!!!

cool8man

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Imagine if they had waited until Windows on ARM was completed and/or Surface Phone was announced before they pulled the plug on Windows Mobile 10. That's what a competent well-managed company would do. I guess it wouldn't be Microsoft then. The incoherent zig-zags with this idiotic company are maddening.

2013 Microsoft tells everyone a Kinect is mandatory for Xbox One and will never be sold without one.
2014-2017 Microsoft removes Kinect, kills off its features, removes its ports, never mentions it.
2015 Everyone is talking about VR so Microsoft heavily promotes augmented reality w/ HoloLens instead.
2015-2017 HoloLens never gets to consumers.
2017 Microsoft makes a big VR push for consumers while Apple/Google are now focused on AR development.
2016-2017 Microsoft puts a ton of effort into improving Groove Music.
2017 Microsoft kills Groove and tells everyone to use Spotify instead.
2015-2016 Microsoft makes a big sales pitch for Continuum for phones mimicking the Windows desktop.
2016-2017 Microsoft announces full Windows on ARM which makes Continuum completely pointless.
2017 Microsoft refuses to put WoA on small tablets or large phones despite that being the only logical choice.
2017 Microsoft goes out of it's way to kill off WinMo and promotes Android/iOS use as much as possible.
2018 Microsoft debuts new mobile Windows on ARM which can be used on phones???

The strategies of this company make about as much sense as their product numbering schemes.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Imagine if they had waited until Windows on ARM was completed and/or Surface Phone was announced before they pulled the plug on Windows Mobile 10. That's what a competent well-managed company would do. I guess it wouldn't be Microsoft then. The incoherent zig-zags with this idiotic company are maddening.

2013 Microsoft tells everyone a Kinect is mandatory for Xbox One and will never be sold without one.
2014-2017 Microsoft removes Kinect, kills off its features, removes its ports, never mentions it.
2015 Everyone is talking about VR so Microsoft heavily promotes augmented reality w/ HoloLens instead.
2015-2017 HoloLens never gets to consumers.
2017 Microsoft makes a big VR push for consumers while Apple/Google are now focused on AR development.
2016-2017 Microsoft puts a ton of effort into improving Groove Music.
2017 Microsoft kills Groove and tells everyone to use Spotify instead.
2015-2016 Microsoft makes a big sales pitch for Continuum for phones mimicking the Windows desktop.
2016-2017 Microsoft announces full Windows on ARM which makes Continuum completely pointless.
2017 Microsoft refuses to put WoA on small tablets or large phones despite that being the only logical choice.
2017 Microsoft goes out of it's way to kill off WinMo and promotes Android/iOS use as much as possible.
2018 Microsoft debuts new mobile Windows on ARM which can be used on phones???

The strategies of this company make about as much sense as their product numbering schemes.

That very much summarizes Microsoft under Nadella. They were all over the place. So they may launch a Surface phone in 2018 but then kill it by 2020. I personally want a non Microsoft alternative to Android and iOS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo