Microsoft as an Android OEM?

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Could Microsoft go the route of Blackberry and make first party Android devices? Similar to what they did with the "Microsoft edition" of the Samsung Galaxy a while back, but take it further and sell them as exclusively "Microsoft" branded devices. Whether they resurrected some of the Lumia pipeline to run Android or designed their own or licensed unique designs from a hardware manufacturer like Blackberry did would all be possibilities. That would seem to make the most sense at this point if they want to craft the experience for enterprise. Obviously they failed epically with W10M, but leaving businesses and consumers to their own choices (by just offering up apps for people do download) seems to be leaving their fate too much up to individual choices, and perhaps they will suffer a death by 1000 cuts (again) as users continue to passively shy away from their services.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I doubt it tbh. Microsoft is a software company. They create hardware to showcase that software so other companies can carry it on. The Lumia 950's and Surface series is for that very purpose so for them to build hardware to run Android software would go against that completely.
Microsoft being a software company are still providing their mobile services but just on Android and iOS instead

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't buy a device like this in all honesty.
Why make phones when apps written by Microsoft run on any Android phone.

Pseudo Nokia is back in the game selling phones so that people who like that name can say "woohoo I have a Nokia phone."
I see no value in Microsoft hardware among the universe of Android devices out there.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I wish HP would put out an updated Elite X3 running Android Oreo.

I'll buy one tomorrow. I used an X3 for a weekend several weeks ago to replace my ailing Idol 4S, but returned to MS store cuz it didn't work well on TMobile in Denver area. Thus, I settled on an LG V20, but would prefer a 6 or 6.5 inch 16x9 screen. I don't like the tall and skinny trend that has taken over android phablets.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'll buy one tomorrow. I used an X3 for a weekend several weeks ago to replace my ailing Idol 4S, but returned to MS store cuz it didn't work well on TMobile in Denver area. Thus, I settled on an LG V20, but would prefer a 6 or 6.5 inch 16x9 screen. I don't like the tall and skinny trend that has taken over android phablets.
I agree. I'm not a fan of the new screen size direction either. The X3's size is pretty much perfect.

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I couldn't disagree more. The team skinny phones are much more comfortable to hold.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I have big hands and pockets, so I prefer wider phones for great landscape viewing. Plus, the keyboard is wider for much easier typing. Finally, I believe most phabletss have one handed modes where screen shrinks for easier access.

treyman33

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
I think you are dismissing the Lumia hardware a little too quickly. The Microsoft/Nokia hardware was pretty good. Most had excellent cameras, were durable, and pretty high quality. In their time, the 920/930/950/1020/1520 were all fantastic devices.

I would like to see Microsoft make an Android/WM phone. They already have the Recovery Tool to image the device. Why not make a Windows 10 Mobile build and an Android build that the user can then put on the phone via the recovery tool? Microsoft can control the Android experience the same way Huawei, Samsung, and all the other Android phone makers do. Unlike all of them, Microsoft is a software company that has more experience with operating systems.

Having Windows and Android images allows MS to continue development and testing for WM. They continue to maintain a mobile presence on both their own OS as well as the worlds most popular OS. They can control the Android experience to work well with their apps. Windows Mobile fans will continue to have new hardware to use.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile and was forced to switch to android when my Idol 4S battery suddenly failed. Tried unlocked HP X3 for a weekend, but signal was horrible because it didn't have access to all 4gLTe bands. I just assumed I would have same problem with 950xl. Regardless, I'd love to get a win10m custom Rom running on my V20 or a better tile based launcher from MS. I started with MS launcher, didn't like it. Using squarehome2, which is OK, but not as good as W10M. Will try launcher 10 next.

Rony Soussan

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
ok, here's the problem.
I switched to android, no choice.
to my surprise, Microsoft makes an awesome launcher, awesome implementation of Cortina, and even great lock screen.
Then I find out they are all completely different, overlapping features, different UI.
Conflicts etc..
They failed windows phone, they are failing at android experience , so what's makes anyone think putting their name on the phone will make a whole lot of difference.

anon(10324754)

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
ok, here's the problem.
I switched to android, no choice.
to my surprise, Microsoft makes an awesome launcher, awesome implementation of Cortina, and even great lock screen.
Then I find out they are all completely different, overlapping features, different UI.
Conflicts etc..
They failed windows phone, they are failing at android experience , so what's makes anyone think putting their name on the phone will make a whole lot of difference.

One would hope that their own Android would come with outlook, calendar, onedrive, Groove or whatever baked into the system. Then, hopefully, the problems you describe would be eliminated. I hope they do because then I can start using Android if I really have to.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about. I think it is a BIG deal to set up the phone on advance of purchase for both consumers and enterprise. This ensures that they get started with the MS apps to begin with. Thinking that it is "so simple" to download and install them is wrong. This is why people pre-install apps, because if they aren't pre-installed, there is a good chance they will never be. Now we can discuss bloatware vs. real software, but I don't believe this is the case for the MS apps. Anyway, please MS if you are not going to keep up W10M, make a first party Android phone that is set up just right with all the MS services so that users don't HAVE to do it themselves.

One would hope that their own Android would come with outlook, calendar, onedrive, Groove or whatever baked into the system. Then, hopefully, the problems you describe would be eliminated. I hope they do because then I can start using Android if I really have to.

slepr

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Seems to me that MS could create a very customized forked version of Android with deeper integration of things like Cortana. From what I understand Cyanogen was doing some deeper OS alterations. Since MS has abandoned new development on W10M perhaps they could start customizing a Windows Android version going forward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss