The future of Continuum.

Prometheus2021

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Now that Windows 10 Mobile is dead, what is the future of Continuum? Will it suffer the same fate as W10M?

Continuum made sense when a mobile platform was available, it was a way of having a pseudo computer available thru your Windows Phone. Now that it's platform is gone, what do you think will be the next move for it? I really like this feature, because it made it possible for me to use my phone more like a laptop and use it for school and other not intensive work related projects.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Now that Windows 10 Mobile is dead, what is the future of Continuum? Will it suffer the same fate as W10M?

Continuum made sense when a mobile platform was available, it was a way of having a pseudo computer available thru your Windows Phone. Now that it's platform is gone, what do you think will be the next move for it? I really like this feature, because it made it possible for me to use my phone more like a laptop and use it for school and other not intensive work related projects.

I think its already dead, MS has been silent on it for a long time.

Jonny Kowalczyk

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
In what way is Microsoft releasing a completely different device with mobile technology on a very different platform "dead"? You will see when project Andromeda is released the technology in continuum will very much be in use.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
In what way is Microsoft releasing a completely different device with mobile technology on a very different platform "dead"? You will see when project Andromeda is released the technology in continuum will very much be in use.

Keep dreaming is all I can say though I would be happy if it happens, but in principle continuum was always a stupid idea, as it needs external peripherals why is it a good idea? use a PC stick if you have a space monitor, mouse, keyboard etc, its way cheaper and better with full windows.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Continuum has a place on Laptops as well, I am hoping Microsoft is ditching Windows 10 Mobile because they are listening to their real users and going to release an x86 capable device finally. I keep being told that Win 10 Mobile is incapable of running x86 applications, but thats not saying that our hardware on some of the more powerful devices can't handle a slimmed down IoT Core version of Windows 10 and replace Win10M altogether. The Hardware is much more advanced these days, remember we used to run x86 applications on much more limited machines in the past. Its not unthinkable for those who know better.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Keep dreaming is all I can say though I would be happy if it happens, but in principle continuum was always a stupid idea, as it needs external peripherals why is it a good idea? use a PC stick if you have a space monitor, mouse, keyboard etc, its way cheaper and better with full windows.
So when you are out and about, can you whip your PC stick out of your pocket and make any use of it? I can with my Lumia 950, and I have access to everything I had when I was docked. Continuum was a good idea for a phone (ish/like) device. It was also a term applied to the tablet/desktop UI switching on larger devices. I never bought into that. Providing a different start UI is a feature, not a technology. If we get WoA on a phone (ish/like) device, there is really no need for 'Continuum'. Windows inherently supports second monitors either wired or wireless already, and runs Windows apps/applications. I have a 7" HP Stream, not much bigger than today's plus sized phones, that can be docked and take advantage of a big screen, keyboard, mouse, etc. Nothing revolutionary there. Continuum, unless you redefine the term, is dead with Windows 10 Mobile.

ayrasci

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I used Windows 10 Mobile on both my Lumia 1520 (which had no continuum obviously), my 950 and 950XL.I tried continuum on both of the latter devices and loved it despite only being able to use a few apps. I have no idea what they are planning, but in my opinion Microsoft should add continuum functionality in is Android Microsoft Launcher app. There are already launchers available in the Play store that mimic desktop functionality, but stay that way all the time. Also, the Microsoft made dock that enables continuum on Win 10M devices works perfectly with my LGV20 that I switched to after the 950XL. It even enables me to add a mouse/keyboard or extra storage just like it would for Win 10M devices. If Microsoft took advantage of that, we could have the same experience with Microsoft Launcher on Android. It would look as is when not plugged into the dock and switch to a desktop mode when plugged into the dock. Hope it happens!!! Though, I hope even more that Microsoft decides to start focusing on mobile again!!!! :)

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950, a desktop PC running Windows 10, and a Wireless Screen Sharing Tool for Lumia device hooked up to my TV. Here's how Continuum (does not) work(s).

With plain Windows 10:
- I could wirelessly stream my Lumia to the Screen Sharing Tool
- I could wirelessly stream my Lumia to my desktop PC
- I could wirelessly stream my PC to the Screen Sharing Tool
- As a bonus: DLNA worked like a charm

With AU:
- I could wirelessly stream my Lumia to the Screen Sharing Tool
- I could wirelessly stream my Lumia to my desktop PC, but sometimes I received connection errors when attempting
- I could NOT stream wirelessly my PC to the Screen Sharing Tool, I continuously received connection errors
- As a bonus: DLNA worked like a charm

With CU:
- I could wirelessly stream my Lumia to the Screen Sharing Tool, although I often receive the Something went wrong error and getting my device disconnected when attempting to connect
- I could wirelessly stream my Lumia to my desktop PC, but often I received connection errors when attempting
- I could NOT stream wirelessly my PC to the Screen Sharing Tool, I continuously received connection errors, and the desktop PC has trouble discovering the tool at all
- As a bonus: DLNA worked like a charm, although volume would be applied only on the second stream initiated

With FCU:
- I can wirelessly stream my Lumia to the Screen Sharing Tool, although I often receive the Something went wrong error and getting my device disconnected both when attempting to connect, or simply during any stream already going on
- I can wirelessly stream my Lumia to my desktop PC, but often I received connection errors when attempting, and I cannot stream to any device not running the FCU
- I can NOT stream wirelessly my PC to the Screen Sharing Tool, and I can NOT even discover the Screen Sharing Tool at all.
- As a bonus: DLNA volume would be applied only on the second stream initiated, connection takes longer to build-up (if at all), and my TV would simply reset every now-and-then during playback

This is how I see Continuum and Windows 10 wireless stack evolving and heading to the future.
DLNA experience is based on WMP, myTube, Perfect Tube and TubeCast experience.

Scott McBurney

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I was pondering this the other day too. I don't believe continuum is dead. Whatever new device they come up with, probably something small and foldable, it will probably have a USB-C port or even hdmi or display port, which allows you to connect an external monitor. Thus, continuum would still be a necessary part of the OS. The OS will, as usual, adapt to the display sizes you have connected.

So continuum isn't going away, but in fact it will get better with future releases of Windows 10. The only downsize is that we may never see these improvements on Windows 10 mobile :(

And if continuum were really dead, I would think that Miraxess would give up and never produce their continuum device (although it will work with some android devices too).

https://miraxess.com/lumia-950-laptop/

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
In my view Windows 10 on ARM is microsoft's vision of what was continuum on phone. I realistically think continuum for phone is a closed chapter in the microsoft history books unless they're willing to finish developing continuum. Finished for me means building up support for more uwp apps and making continuum useful in that at least two app multitasking is enabled in continuum on a larger screen. I have found this the minimum to be productive with a windows 10 for pc on a screen (for example two apps side by side in tablet mode and preferably opening duplicates of microsoft and productivity apps in a new window. I don't necessarily need the desktop environment with multiple windows (= more than 2 windows open in one session)). I think that is the bear minimum for windows 10 mobile with continuum to be a viable pc replacement option for work, and a little personal use. Android and windows on ARM has already shown the 835 chip is more than powerful enough to cater for that. So for that reason I think the continuation of windows 10 mobile is still viable. Maybe add some spicy flavor to it by adding a 40 mpix camera with Zeiss lens and support for a digital stylus and IP68 it would be a perfect package. I could possibly skip the surface and courier device for that.

caelironstaff

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I feel that continuum should have had cellphone vr options. Imagine popping an idol 4s into its included vr set with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard connected and getting a desktop view on a super large display.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I always thought Cshell is an evolution of continuum in some ways? The way I think about it is continuum is going from small screen to larger and Cshell as being able to adjust in any screen size direction essentially.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epoch4