Is it Smart to buy an android phone now that Microsofts new device is around the Corner?

Robewms

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Is it smart to buy an Android phone now that Microsoft's new device is around the corner?
Especially if you're a Windows mobile phone fan. Why would you get an Android phone now if.you've stuck in there this long what's a few more months. If the device is canceled or delayed indefinitely I'm sure your current phone will still be just as usable in a few months as it is today..
Just asking

senja1

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
If you are still on Windows mobile, then you should definitely wait for Andromeda. If you satisfied with Windows mobile then Andromeda could be just better. What lack of apps, if you already on Windows mobile? It will have same apps you already have on current Windows phones. What people think of phone capability? You already have phone app on PC. You just need hardware that support phone calling. And Andromeda will have it. So it will be phone size, it will have phone capability, so it will be phone. Someone says that Andromeda is PC oriented. How? Andromeda is mobile shell. It will have Windows core, but mobile shell. So it is first mobile, then rest. And it will not be abandoned anymore, because it will have same core as Windows for PC. Only if they abandon Windows completely? That's not gonna happen. So it will be phone, but also much more than that.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is smart. For instance, Bing Maps is a mess for Paris... for a year now. No subway stations figured on the map (on the web or in windows maps). Except office apps, the other UWA are not really updated (Deezer, local apps, etc.)
So while my 950 is my main device, I got myself a Xiaomi Redmi note 4, 128€ for the 64GB/4GB international variant, to test Android (actually Lineage OS to control my exposure to Google) and after a week or so, I'm tempted to switch.

If the existing apps were functional on W10M, I wouldn't hesitate. But Cortana no longer works in France ("time to leave" fonction has stopped working more than a year ago, some "examples" given in the dedicated card don't even work, etc.), Maps is useless in Paris for a pedestrian, etc.

I don't need a foldable tablet, I don't wait for Andromeda or whatever, if Microsoft don't change their mindset about consumers. Their ToDo roadmap is a good illustration : they don't really care about the audience or feedback, they deliver according to their plans, even if they have announced sharing lists 6 months ago (on Twitter). I don't trust them, so buying a cheap but performant android is a good idea, just to prepare for the post W10M.

I also have an iPhone 5S (given by my former company) but I don't see myself buying an iPhone, even if the OS is nice and the apps generally of better quality than on Android.

My 2 cts.

Stacy van Duijn

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
My situation was a Win10 game PC, Win 10 Laptop i7-16gbram 512gb ssd Private, Win10 i5-16gb-256gb ssd for work, Win 10 Tablet, Lumia 650 for work, Lumia 950 private phone, Office 365 subscription, Groove, Xbox live etc etc.

My situation now is Acer Chromebook 15, Galaxy S7 private,Nokia 3310 Work, Galaxy tab S2 8.0, Google Home, Chromecast, no subscriptions. total cost of going all in google? less than $999,-

They can win me back because I love Microsoft where I like Google but they need to come up with a descent phone/hybrid and a make this thing called windows 10 s work.

Also edge needs more extensions.

TLDR: go to Google now and come back when they are the winning team again.

Last edited:

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Is it smart to buy an Android phone now that Microsoft's new device is around the corner?
Especially if you're a Windows mobile phone fan. Why would you get an Android phone now if.you've stuck in there this long what's a few more months. If the device is canceled or delayed indefinitely I'm sure your current phone will still be just as usable in a few months as it is today..
Just asking

Of course it's worth waiting a few months, even a year. I'm sick of this site pushing people towards Android or iOS as if you needed to buy a new phone every week, like they do. Plus we all know it's coming soon. And besides Andromeda, there will eventually be phones, because, why shouldn't there be? All they need to do is take Windows 10 Core OS, slap whatever mode Andromeda runs when in phone mode and that's it. it could even have full-desktop Continuum-like mode.
So no use to falling into another, inferior ecosystem.

dandrayan

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
The short answer is: it depends entirely on your needs. Is your existing device meeting all of your needs? If so, then keep using it. If you're having major issues like a failing battery, broken screen, or non-functional buttons then shop around for something that will meet your needs. There is no one-size-fits-all answer for what Android device is best for all users.

The long answer requires us to step back and analyze the current situation. How many "leaks" have you seen in the last few months about the new Samsung Galaxy 9 phones? A lot, right? Now how many have you seen about the mythical "Surface Phone". A patent here, an SDK reference there, but nothing more substantial than that. If by just "around the corner", you mean within the next few months, then you'll likely be disappointed.

Microsoft did manage to keep the original Surface lineup under wraps, which is why it was such a shock to the world when it was revealed, but I'm not so sure they can keep this device quiet in the same way. Similarly, the recent Spectre and Meltdown security vulnerabilities were shared with quite a few large companies months before being revealed to the public. There were simply "too many cooks in the kitchen" to keep all of the details secret, and the leaks forced Intel to scramble and speak out earlier than planned. With the Andromeda device, there will be a supply chain needed for various custom components, especially the folding screen. The mobile connectivity will require certification from the FCC and possibly deals with mobile carriers. The OS APIs will need to be further fleshed out to support the new features of the device. Many mobile devices take 12-18 months to go from design to point of sale because of all of these things, and we just haven't heard or seen enough concrete clues to expect the device to be ready for sale any time in the next few months.

With that being said, my prediction is that Microsoft will release the next Windows 10 update in March along with Windows 10 for ARM to allow partners to release PCs built on ARM chipsets. Redstone 5 APIs and more Cortana/AI-focused edge computing features will be discussed at the Build conference in May, including more foundational elements to support a "Surface Phone" type of device--like the shell composers--but no hardware will be announced. The next OS update will be released in September/October, possibly with the next wave of ARM-based Windows 10 PCs from partners based on Snapdragon 845 chips. A few of these second-wave PCs will integrate the "Cortana on a chip" that Microsoft has recently teased, allowing for on-device AI features similar to what Google is now doing with their Pixel 2 and Android 8.1. October will bring another Surface event where the new Andromeda device will be officially revealed, including the folding screen, custom Cortana AI chips, and 5G network connectivity, but no price or release date will be announced. March/April 2019 will see the release of Redstone 6 along with the much anticipated and overdue release of the unicorn which will allegedly save Microsoft's mobile efforts.

Until that happens, evaluate your needs and your budget. There are plenty of options for various use cases and price points. It might even be a smart idea to wait a few months, or even 1-2 iterations (like it took to finally perfect the Surface Pro 3), before picking up a new Microsoft-branded device if/when the Andromeda device releases. It will most certainly have bugs, lack key functionality, and not be the "dream" device we've all been imagining, or at least not on the first release.

tofferne

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
No, I'm finished with Microsoft, it will be the same history again, problems and no apps, and they will cheat us again by closing down everything again.
I'm happy with our 4 Huawei 10 Mate Pro.
And when Nokia is ready with a more updated phone, Nokia 9 or 10, I will by these phones instead, they have clean Android and quick updates.
And then few Microsoft apps, perfect solution without Microsoft and all troubles.

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on your needs and usage scenario. For me I don't have any day to day concerns with my Lumia 950, apps, or overall mobile experience. All the Android phones that would give me a comparable hardware experience (wireless charging, USB-C, great camera, dedicated shutter button, memory expansion, long battery, security updates till 2019, etc.) would cost $750-1000, so why not wait and see.

If you must have some app that isn't on W10M, or your device is broke, that is another story; but, I'm fine waiting to see what is next.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I think we have past history, a record, of the last 10 years and how Microsoft handles itself in the mobile consumer markets. Re-launch after re-launch. They can launch what ever they want but my boat has sailed on them.

Anything new that is being worked on for release will more than likely be skimpted. 2017 was the nail-in-the-coffin for me. Thanks Nadella.

gnomagico

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
My Lumia 950 is still in perfect conditions, I'll wait the next Microsoft device.
Also while I wait I'm quite sure soon I'll be able to put full Windows 10 on my Lumia 950, so the wait is not so bad ;)

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
I use my mobiles until they die, my 950Xl is still going strong at the moment so I'm waiting, I don't have to buy a phone so it's not really an issue. If it were to break down? I'd probably try to find another 950 to be honest. Not terribly impressed by either IOS or Android. I wouldn't toss a perfectly good phone to switch to Android or IOS at this point but if you are in a position where you NEED to buy a phone? Buy one that fits your needs today. IF Andromeda emerges, and IF it fits your needs you can buy it when that happens, be it later this year or next year or the year after that.

vdamir78

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Geez, it is a phone not a house... Just get a decent android that will get the Oreo (or already has it). And enjoy until ms comes up with some thing worth our faith back for ms. Until then, I totally love my Huawei Mate 10pro, after L950...

estoll#WN

Feb 7, 2018
Visit site
If your phone isn't working...get a new one.
If your phone is working...wait and see (that's what I 'm doing:)

I couldn't stand the constant rebooting on my 950. Its related to the battery getting old. I went through as many batteries as I could tolerate and finally switched to an Android phone (Essential PH1).

If you've only had a WP your whole smartphone-life, my advice, make the switch now. Android isn't WP but its still a really good experience. Learn how fast the phone should be, how the integrated app experience is better, and what a full app ecosystem is like. It won't change your life. And once the Andromeda phone comes out, you'll switch right back. But its good perspective and worthwhile over the constant rebooting and bugs.

anon(10172601)

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
I find it horrific that we even have to ask this question. Seriously... 6 YEARS... yes years with a Y of rumours about a Surface phone.

Meanwhile... Windows mobile was left to wither on the vine and finally just completely died... Windows 10 has backed off it's billion devices target... and even Microsoft's market share in the 2-in-1 market (a device category that Micdrosoft INVENTED) is losing ground to new entries like the iPad Pro and Samsung Galaxy Tab S3. Why? Because management at Microsoft is living in the 80s. They refuse to believe that mobile is the platform a company simply must succeed in.

That said... as much as I HATE to say it... I'd say buy an Android device, or even an iOS device, because waiting on Microsoft is like waiting for the 80s to come back. The knuckleheads in Redmond aren't worth your trust. They've done nothing to earn it.

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I hear this a lot but think back through it, every phone I have had (and PDA prior to that... yeah old school PPC) with MS has gotten at least two years of full support (and security support for at least a year past that, good luck finding that in Android). All of the apps I bought with the launch of WP7 (the first modern app model version) still work on my L950, and the majority will work on any future W10ARM devices. I guess if you want to keep a phone for four or five years and expect it to be updated through out that time (no Apple doesn't do that, they realistically do the 7.8 strategy) you might be upset, but I've never been burned buying a MS mobile device. (Focus on launch, 920 on launch, 1020 for the camera, 950 on launch).

NMCynthia

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I dearly love my Icon, W10M in general, and I have not really been put out by the app gap.

All that aside, my husband said that we should really get new phones for Christmas, as ours were 4 years old, and were probably going to need new batteries soon (I had already spent $200 a year and a half ago on a new battery and connection plug). As there was nothing concrete coming from Microsoft I said fine, I'll get a new phone, and if something DOES come along, it should REALLY be good in 2 years when I will have my new phone paid off. If NOTHING comes along, I'm out nothing, and I have learned a new OS (the only smart phones I have had are the W7 HTC Trophy, and the Icon).

After researching iPhones and Androids, I got the stock Android Pixel 2. I decided on it because it has no bloatware, I can use lots of Microsoft apps and Cortana (even though they don't work exactly like on W10M), and the fabulous camera. AND I got it for $349.00!!

I'm learning my way around Android-World slowly but surely by doing lots of reading (thank you Android Central and others), and I've downloaded as many of the same apps that I had on my Icon as possible. They don't work the same, however, and I haven't found any that I felt worked BETTER, just differently. I've been having fun trying new apps, and if I don't like them, I just uninstall them. After setting up my phone I haven't been brave enough to use another launcher to customize it ... I think I'll wait until I'm more comfortable with Android.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase of the Pixel 2, and would recommend it to anyone, even though it doesn't have a dedicated camera button (I love that button on my Icon!). I miss W10M, but I'll live! I'm learning something new, which makes me happy, and if Microsoft comes out with something that I want later I will go back, with no hesitation.

Everyone needs to do what's in their own self interest, whether it's moving on to a new phone, or waiting. Even though I hated moving on, I'm using the process to learn something new, and I'm enjoying it with a very nice piece of equipment.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
"I guess if you want to keep a phone for four or five years and expect it to be updated through out that time (no Apple doesn't do that, they realistically do the 7.8 strategy)"

Yes, Apple does that. I have an iPhone 5. It was released in September 2012. It shipped with iOS 6. It was updated for 5 years, ending with iOS 10.3.3 last year.

Now THAT is support. No on else supports phones for 5 years. BTW, I have no idea what you mean by the "7.8 strategy".

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Who says "Microsoft's new device is around the Corner?" What corner? There is nothing but rumors. The "surface phone" has been rumored for years.

I wouldn't depend on Microsoft to deliver a pizza, let alone a compelling mobile device that people will actually want to buy.

The world is literally awash in "always connected, pocketable, telephony-enabled devices". They are called phones. Microsoft used to sell such devices, for many years. In case you have not noticed, no one was interested.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"I guess if you want to keep a phone for four or five years and expect it to be updated through out that time (no Apple doesn't do that, they realistically do the 7.8 strategy)"

Yes, Apple does that. I have an iPhone 5. It was released in September 2012. It shipped with iOS 6. It was updated for 5 years, ending with iOS 10.3.3 last year.

Now THAT is support. No on else supports phones for 5 years. BTW, I have no idea what you mean by the "7.8 strategy".

I believe they are referring to the 7.8 "update-in-name-only" where Microsoft tends to make their last update before abandonment a trivial one with a new start menu. (see: WP7.8, obviously, and Windows RT 8.1 Update 3)

Of course, that is not the case as iPhones do see new features and the few missing features actually make sense given the hardware of the device receiving the update instead of just claiming "incompatibility" and moving on.

Nayden

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
At present, my lumia 950 accommodates me with all I need, so I am not in a hurry moving to Android (iOS or whatever is not an option). Got my mails, calendar, Viber and Whatsapp, and of course Office. Can wait a little bit longer :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs