Is it Smart to buy an android phone now that Microsofts new device is around the Corner?

Robewms

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Is it smart to buy an Android phone now that Microsoft's new device is around the corner?
Especially if you're a Windows mobile phone fan. Why would you get an Android phone now if.you've stuck in there this long what's a few more months. If the device is canceled or delayed indefinitely I'm sure your current phone will still be just as usable in a few months as it is today..
Just asking

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Bottom line is, even if they do release a new device, it will take time for it to catch up with apps and features, provided it's a huge success (save that for another discussion). So if you at least go android, you'll have access to the latest features/apps etc, even from microsoft, and if a new MS device gets launched, all that isn't going to go away from android, just as it won't magically appear on the speculated MS device.

Everything points to going on android or iOS currently. Because of MS' track record, I wouldn't trust a new device being a success, and would let others test the waters.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Is it smart to buy an Android phone now that Microsoft's new device is around the corner?
Especially if you're a Windows mobile phone fan. Why would you get an Android phone now if.you've stuck in there this long what's a few more months. If the device is canceled or delayed indefinitely I'm sure your current phone will still be just as usable in a few months as it is today..
Just asking

Depends on your definition of 'around the corner'. Are we talking three months? Six months? One year? Two years? Longer?

If it's one year or more away, get something that's functional now, and down the road, you can worry about any Microsoft mobile device, when/if it becomes available at retail.

As others have mentioned, the purported 'Surface Phone' has been around so many corners, that if it were a neighborhood, we would have driven or walked around multiple times and have wound back at the same spot that we started.

mdram

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm holding to my 950 till it turns to dust. LOL. After that, I'll grab a 950XL if there's no new Microsoft mobile device yet. I have all the apps I need (although not all the ones I'd like).

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Unless my Elite x3 breaks, I don't need a new phone until the Fall or so and I am not in any rush. With that said, I haven't heard anything about Andromeda to suggest that MS wants it to be a replacement for your phone. If they aren't even trying to replace a phone, I don't imagine I would want it instead of an Android phone. It's true that I have mostly been happy for years with BlackBerry and Windows 10 Mobile, targeting business users and not worried about an app gap. Maybe Andromeda would be good enough for my main productivity priorities, although I also don't need the more advanced stuff like pen support which will add a bunch to the cost.

Related timing is that we bought a house so as I add more things like smart home tech, I am actually finding myself caring about the app gap for the first time. It's annoying to need to use my wife's Android to update a light bulb. I think it's time that I accept defeat and join the masses. Unless something changes in the next 6-8 months of course.

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Samsung S8, couldn't be happier: things actually works and there are apps.

I will probably not resist to buy this Andromeda device, but it can't replace S8. You have to know it will be same story as Windows 10 Mobile, there will probably be plenty of bugs and very few apps. If you can live with it, then wait, if you need an actual smartphone I'm sure this won't be what you are looking for.

EddieLomax

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So uninspired by the Android choice that I'll hang on for another 6 or so months despite the main bank app closing down this month.

Here the problem will be application support, I hope the difference they can make this time will be to ditch apps and ARM and just get the surface phone running x86 PC applications. If they do that then I won't need a special application for each task, just the same method the PC performs it will be fine.

And I have noticed that after the initial excitement there has been a bit of this realism go into a lot of what were former apps, many are now implemented via webpage and work just as well.

scoots37

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
Andromeda seems more PC focused to me. Therefore, I don't think Microsoft cares too much how many phone apps it has (e.g. snapchat, banking, etc.) at launch. I think it will be pushed with a huge focus on its new continuum capabilities (Version 1 of Polaris) and its tablet/journal/inking capabilities. I bet (if it is actually advertised by Microsoft) it will rarely be showed in "phone mode" except for taking phone calls and sending texts.

That said, if you want your Windows Phone to be more like a PC than an app rich iOS or Android device, maybe it's worth waiting.

Otherwise, just watch for a great deal on a non-Windows smartphone and snag it. Android and iOS have a lot of pros too!

jrealtor1

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
If you don't care about apps and hate the closed ecosystem of Apple and the "Bloat and way to many options" of Android...get a Flip phone, its cheap, reliable and will hold until this Andromeda thing gets here. If you have a Windows phone and just don't care that the platform is being phased out then hold out, see what Andromeda brings...if it suites your needs then you would have saved money by not buying an interim phone. You could use the money saved to purchase Andromeda or if it is a POS on arrival, then by all means get Apple or Android or a Flip phone or just say screw it and get no phone and get off the grid! :) (Just my rambling thoughts...)

Serpentbane

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought an S8 for me and my wife for christmas, and I'm using my L950X. I decided I don't need all those apps enough to keep using it, and it's not like MS is without apps. My wife however needs those apps, or rather, she need SnapChat. One month + complaining about the Phone, and still counting. I bought an iPhone 7 last year, and that's even worse.

Now, if it was around the corner for sure, I'd say no. We do not really know, so I'm not telling you to wait. But I'm sticking with my L950XL as long at it lasts. I even noticed my local Power store have one L950XL in the store, considering buying that one if they give me a good price. Then I hope I'll be set until they release the next big thing, what ever it turns out to be, and when.

Dan12R

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I would say hedge your bets. Andromeda may or may not happen and if it does happen, it may or may not happen this year. If you need a new phone and you're interested in Andromeda, I'd say buy something cheap. If you're a Windows 10 Mobile person and would like to stay on that until the ship sinks, get a cheap phone. Don't invest in anything expensive. Who knows when the last leg its standing on is kicked out? Plus, if Andromeda is announced the next day, you won't have just sunk a bunch of money into a phone that's on its way out. If you're thinking about Android, same thing. If Andromeda is announced the next day, you won't have sunk a bunch of money into a phone that you want to dump for Andromeda. In the case of Android, even if Andromeda doesn't happen, you might find that you don't like Android and want to look at iOS or a different version of Android. You won't have dumped a bunch of money into a phone you don't like.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Nokia has re released the 3310 which may be a reasonable choice of you are looking for a replacement for a failed W10m handset.

I just got an Xperia X and flashed it to Sailfish. I really like it....enough that I am ordering the sailfish tablet from the indegogo project.

Otherwise I would probably just sit tight and see what the future holds.

neilbey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Seeing that one could pick up an android phone for cheap, don't wait if you need a phone. Likely, the type of person in the market for the rumored $1000 surface "phone" (pricing is made up, but based off of similar type devices, will likely be close to that) the kind of person that can afford to drop $200 on a used LG G6 or something similar in the interim.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99