Is it Smart to buy an android phone now that Microsofts new device is around the Corner?

Robewms

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Is it smart to buy an Android phone now that Microsoft's new device is around the corner?
Especially if you're a Windows mobile phone fan. Why would you get an Android phone now if.you've stuck in there this long what's a few more months. If the device is canceled or delayed indefinitely I'm sure your current phone will still be just as usable in a few months as it is today..
Just asking

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
I'd hold off if I was you. If you really need an Android device for a few apps that are necessary just as I did, get a cheapie like the Moto 5s plus. I use 99% of the time my X3, 950, 950xl and 640 xl.

perbear

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I regret that I returned my Lumia 950XL to the vendor when it was just a few months left on the lease and I stil had to pay the monthly fee until the bitter end. The family decided to purchase three Android phones last October to get access of all the fabulous apps out there, just to discover that we could not obtain the ones we really used without paying extra. So for vital things like checking dictionaries we stick with our old Windows Phones. I also check my WP for incoming mail as it has a better layout and overview and it is easier to see what has arrived for my different inboxes. So it is new and old in a combo, not a totally happy situation with either of the systems. Whether high-end Android phones really would win us over to the Android camp we have to see, at the moment at least I in the family is longing for something Windows.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
At this point if you weren't willing to wait you'd already have jumped ship. WP10 in my opinion is still the smoothest running mobile OS for basic applications. I'll be using it when the next great thing comes out.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
After being a MS fan and early adopter of various amazing products that were cancelled I can no longer recommend waiting for the next MS big thing.
I will wait until at least the 3rd generation of any future hardware products so
1 - It is likely to have some market traction and less likely to be canned.
2 - Hardware quality issues will have been ironed out.

I'll keep a close eye on developments as a fan but as a buyer I need to think with my head and wallet in the future.

Steven Jepson

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the above. That's part of the reason why I'll be opening up my 950XL to fix the front camera.

It will take a while for Andromeda to get the bugs worked out, although it could be in heavy beta testing right now (rumors apparently to that). Also, this is a new version of the W10 OS for "pocket computers," and there will be other hardware companies who will mimic it (Samsung). Right now, you can find a LOT of 2-in-1s and laptops with detachable screens that took the Surface idea and ran with it.

I will probably see how it develops and then make the decision. I am hoping that it will be the productivity device I want.

BLKahuna

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
There is no reason to believe in MS anymore. I loved Windows Phone from my Samsung Focus to my 950 but finally couldn't tolerate watching the few apps I had slowly get shut down one-by-one. I decided to buy an LG V20 on Amazon, unlocked for $350. Now I'm app drunk!

For $350 I can now sit and wait to see what plays out at MS. Even if they do produce their unicorn phone, I'm not sure I want the first version. MS has a very bad reputation for upgrading and orphaning the old version.

This V20 is LG's old flagship (their current one is the V30). It's a great phone and runs everything perfectly. I miss WP and wish MS had supported it but they didn't. MS has to prove themselves to me but until then, I'm happy and covered for $350.

lazybum131

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
The only reason I may hold off is because I want to replace my aging 8" Dell V8P tablet, and a foldable device could potentially replace three of my devices (V8P, 950 XL, old Latitude D630 laptop permanently docked).

But my 950 XL is really starting to **** me off. It was never very stable, which may be a battery problem but MS doesn't sell a replacement. The ~$25 one I got on ebay claiming to be genuine OEM is likely a counterfeit (drains very fast, top 20% effectively missing) and Amazon Canada only has expensive third-party ones.

Apps have been disappearing that I use regularly (Groove, TD Bank, Starbucks, etc.) and existing third-party apps have always performed poorly. Spotify for instance regularly requires a phone reset to work, I either get an 'audio service used by another app' or it constantly stuck 'loading...'. The Starbucks web app always requires me to log in, very inconvenient, and doesn't save the log-in for next time even when I have that option checked. I miss out on other apps, things like McDonald's, Tim Hortons, and shopping loyalty programs.

Cortana is slow, and it no longer syncs notifications with my Win10 PCs. It can't control Spotify in my car like I could with Groove. Android phones now have better syncing and integration with Win10 than what I have with the 950 XL.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Android phones now have better syncing and integration with Win10 than what I have with the 950 XL.

Totally true. I went from my HTC HD2, to an HTC Radar, Nokia 810, 930 (Icon), then a 950XL. Damn did I love W7 and 8.0/8.1. Never seemed to me like WM10 was all that smooth or polished as its predecessors. Like an above poster, I am now rocking an LG V20 with the Microsoft Launcher, and am super surprised at how much I love it, and how well it integrates with all of the Microsoft services. My advice (from a WP lover) is to switch to Android and not look back. After the Groove debacle, etc., I believe it is the only way to go.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Do you really need the phone now? If so get an android now. If Microsoft somehow releases the new gadget, there will still be rooms for improvement anyway just like when the first surface came out. So after two or three years you would need a replacement phone, switch back to windows.

toshdellapenna

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Is it smart to buy an Android phone now that Microsoft's new device is around the corner?
Especially if you're a Windows mobile phone fan. Why would you get an Android phone now if.you've stuck in there this long what's a few more months. If the device is canceled or delayed indefinitely I'm sure your current phone will still be just as usable in a few months as it is today..
Just asking

I've owned and used nothing other than Windows on mobile since it was called Pocket Pc Os. I've waited since 2003 for the device type that Andromeda is claiming to be. I think I can hold out a bit longer lol. I snagged a steal on an Elite x3 with the desk dock and lapdock back in December and I'm totally loving it! I think it's a good holdover for another few months to a year.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I am going to wait for the MS Vapor Phone!
It's going to be super fast, have all the apps, never need upgrading, does my job for me, flies me to the moon and back and also the phone assistant integration is so good, I am becoming a rapper doing duets with Cortana.

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been in the "using my 950XL till it dies" family and wait to see what Andromeda is all about, if it gets revealed late 2018- early 2019.

But, recently I've been struggling with being disillusioned by Microsoft's full blown lacklustre moves in any consumer field.

I also 'thought' that VoWiFi was already built into Windows Mobile 10, but when I needed to use it I couldn't find it. I fear that Microsoft really has lost its way in so many of these markets now it is going to be a long time before they even come close to getting to a reasonable baseline to be accepted into the Mobile industry/market again.

The thought of juggling all my contacts from one platform to another and lose the investment I've made into purchasing apps etc for Windows Mobile and to go Android (I'm certain this is my only choice), is quite depressing TBH.

I'll be moving to Android once I can afford to get a handset that is compatible with Wireless calling for my carrier in Australia. If the Andromeda device does reveal itself to the world in a few months I'll certainly take note but I'm done with being an early adopter when it comes to MS products any more.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsofts new device is around the Corner does not mean the same thing as the iPhone 9 is around the corner or the Galaxy S9 is around the corner. We know those two devices are coming, we know what they will be, and we know when. With Microsoft's new device, we don't know what it will be, when it will be coming, or even if it is coming for sure.

Based on this, nobody here can intelligently answer your question. If you think the new device is worth waiting for, then by all means, wait! Otherwise, you might as well move on.

What if you wait on the Microsoft's new device, and it turns out to be something that you cannot conveniently carry in your pocket? In that case, it won't replace a smartphone. Or it may be priced out of the picture for most consumers. In my opinion, there are too many unknowns to hold out because of what I hope it will be, although I am looking forward to it.

That is my 2¢.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsofts new device is around the Corner does not mean the same thing as the iPhone 9 is around the corner or the Galaxy S9 is around the corner. We know those two devices are coming, we know what they will be, and we know when. With Microsoft's new device, we don't know what it will be, when it will be coming, or even if it is coming for sure.

Based on this, nobody here can intelligently answer your question. If you think the new device is worth waiting for, then by all means, wait! Otherwise, you might as well move on.

What if you wait on the Microsoft's new device, and it turns out to be something that you cannot conveniently carry in your pocket? In that case, it won't replace a smartphone. Or it may be priced out of the picture for most consumers. In my opinion, there are too many unknowns to hold out because of what I hope it will be, although I am looking forward to it.

That is my 2¢.
I'll be on the lookout but not for a primary device. Microsoft just ditched Windows 10 S. My take is that the WoA wet dream isn't going very well. Pity those poor souls that bought the new laptops around Christmas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss