02-12-2018 10:56 PM
44 12
tools
    Basically Microsoft can make peripheral device with just minimum specs to be as available in whole world as mobile phones, with small bonus - it will be powerful computer if connected to internet, if needed to screen, keyboard, whatever. Offline hardware can be just as different as phones, entry level, mid range, flagships.

Microsoft will after all earn money with Usage of Virtual computer on internet (and apps,...). At least I wish that happen.
    02-11-2018 03:38 AM
    Tell that to enterprise. Its another pipe dreamthat wont make a difference, they are creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. A laptop is fine, it has everything in one device and they are getting thinner and lighter, ergonomics dictates everything, try touch-typing on a tiny screen, as for carrying a portable screen around, no point, get a laptop, as for screens being ubiquitous and plugging in your handheld, what if you need it and screen is NOT there to g in due to either someone else using it or broken etc. Just like continuum was doomed to fail, so is a folding pocket PC as a replacement for a full laptop no matter how powerful it is. Simple ergonomics.
    Geddeeee likes this.
    02-11-2018 03:49 AM
    I hope so, but I don't think this will be immediate for a lot of users(it will take time to refine). My surface pro 4 has replaced my desktop and laptop as well as being an excellent tablet, I tried this with the Dell Venue Pro 11 and while a good device didn't quite make it. The Lumia 950 was a good first attempt tbh but the lack of support really affected it. so with the right support and processing power for a lot of users yes I think it could work.
    02-11-2018 07:22 AM
    Download the Windows Store benchmarking app AnTuTu for your Windows 10 laptop/desktop and see what you get. Then compare to what the latest phones are getting by going to the AnTuTu website. You might be surprised to learn that a current phone can top an older laptop (depending on specs of the older laptop of course). I am going to be an early adopter of the Andromeda. I don't care what it cost and if it doesn't fully replace my laptop. I will just want to try it out and see how it works out. I will set it up with a docking station with monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I hope there will be something like a lapdock like for the Elite X3, because I don't want to be stuck in my den using the Andromeda at the docking station. I often like using my laptop in my family room. So I think the availability of peripheral device will largely drive how the Andromeda can replace other form factors. And such a lapdock device needs to cost less than a laptop! What would be the point if it cost the same as a laptop! I am concerned if Andromeda runs full Windows 10, that Windows 10 will drain too much power doing the thousands of tasks and services that a full Windows 10 computers needs to run (e.g. virus scanning, maintenance, etc.). Maybe they figured out how to manage battery power better with the Windows 10 on ARM computers. I would hope that a lot of the Windows 10 maintenance background stuff can be paused when on battery power. If Andromeda doesn't ship with full Windows 10 (e.g. Win32 support), and that is a possibility, then this forum discussion is a moot topic. For me, the demanding Win32 app that will be the holdout is Visual Studio 2017. If I can run Visual Studio 2017 on Andromeda and use Andromeda in my family room with a laptop form factor, then bye-bye laptop!
    njoi fontes and scoots37 like this.
    02-11-2018 10:40 AM
    nothing of what you said makes any sense... windows 10 adoption continues to grow and has already surpassed windows 7 and the PC market in general (which is 90% or more windows) is growing again... so ya, everything you said is nonsense
    02-11-2018 02:49 PM
    I need a big screen, a good keyboard, large storage and lots of computation power for what I do.
    That said, if I ever buy Andromeda, then it will be as a viable alternative to a smartphone, not to replace my desktop or laptop machines.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    02-11-2018 06:59 PM
    Andromeda's reported form size, role, niche, functions should logically replace a user's smartphone. Make no mistake, Surface Note (or whatever it will be called) is a direct attack on the smartphone market by inventing a superset category ie the new category of 'pocketable PCs'.

(Assuming Andromeda comes to market as a viable pocketable folding PC, x86 desktop tablet when unfolded, ARM smartphone with telephony stack when folded and other reported features)
    02-12-2018 01:18 AM
    Since October 2017 i use my Samsung Note8 with DEX Docking Station as my daily driver. On the go i have my note 8 with the sPen and at home i can use it on my 27" Curved Screen via DEXDockingStation. So yess. 1000% an Andromeda device could fully replace a Desktop PC, because my Note 8 does this even today !
    BanditoTR and anon(10324754) like this.
    02-12-2018 05:46 AM
    I think it would replace my personal fun time PC but not my work PC. All I need for my personal PC is browser, Robinhood, Outlook and being able to use uTorrent. If uTorrent is able to be run via emulation and I am able to get text and make calls I will be ok with the device. There's no Robinhood app for Windows but if Robinhood for Web works the same as the app I won't even need Android no more. I don't play games on Android whatsoever and don't depend on Google app either. I won't miss the invasion of privacy either.

Of course of Continuum is part of the equation, I will prefer to have a way to use it in a monitor if needed, specially to see movies. They have done it before and I used it a lot. If VLC for mobile works as the desktop version I wouldn't have use my personal laptop whatsoever.
    02-12-2018 07:42 AM
    Hi, it will use Windows Core not a full blown Windows 10.

Windows Core is like the basics of what Windows have that will be shared between devices like Onecore.

But the difference would be drivers, etc...and more importantly the shell.

What they did is like take everything that shared between multiple devices like registry and put it in a single place. Then what differentiates mobile from desktop just put it in their respective place. That would be for example the Shell.

So a mobile device won't suffer from a full blown Windows 10 resources hogging because what a desktop needs to function won't be in a mobile device.
    02-12-2018 07:49 AM
    I think the question is rhetorical. A (new) windows pc device will always cater to someone. I just hope microsoft doesn't ruin the courier concept. I think business sense will prevail and a first andromeda device will not live up to expectations. That said a pc or mobile device will be a new learning curve for anyone on any platform. Will it be the new best of both worlds as a crossing between a smartphone, tablet and pc. Will microsoft be able to pull off a journal device, without the machine becoming too much of a classic desktop design on a new hardware shell? Can microsoft look beyond windows in terms of software design? Time will tell.
    02-12-2018 08:53 AM
    In the same vein as people could "do their entire job on an iPad" it depends on what your job is. If it doesn't require much, sure it will work. I don't expect it to work for me. Not now, not next year, not the year after that. In 4 years we'll have the Snapdragon 885... which would probably do todays i5 level workloads, if that workload remained constant (which it wont) then maybe I could replace my Desktop/Laptop with a mobile device. I would expect an incremental percentage of my workload to be accomplished by a mobile device in the future but not all of it.
    02-12-2018 09:20 AM
    If it is from Microsoft, then no. It will be over priced and under powered, just like the Surface Studio is. If I'm using it at my desk as a daily machine, then I want it to be full powered.
    02-12-2018 10:04 AM
    I used Continuum extensively (4-6 hours a day) on my Lumia 950 and was a big fan of the idea. It definitely had some rough edges which needed ongoing development to smooth out and as MS pulled away from Windows Mobile it became apparent that it wasn't going to improve, which was a real shame.

The concept of moving across form factors with one device, with it being small enough to carry in your pocket and powerful enough to become a foldable tablet, laptop and desktop is incredibly enticing.

MS should have brought out a "Razer Project Linda" laptop device years ago when they started pushing Continuum on the Lumia 950.

But yeah, I think it's going to be a journey. I'll probably throw my credit card into the ring no sooner than Andromeda 3.0

I want to see MS build it, improve it and show some genuine and lasting support for it before committing.
    Allen Steen likes this.
    02-12-2018 10:23 AM
    Smartphones have already replaced a good portion of normal folks desktops and laptops. For the people out there that just do facebook and youtube what else does one need?
    02-12-2018 11:42 AM
    As an IT Manager, I'm can't say that I completely agree with you. I do think that we'll see a leveling off of the number of Windows PCs and servers, mostly due to cloud infrastructure.

However, Windows is still far and away the backbone workhorse of the enterprise segment, well over 90% of actual workstations. Even without that, MS Office is still the primary productivity suite, and that is not likely to change very quickly, even if there were a sudden shift to the various flavors of Linux. There are too many third-party software packages that only play nice with Office. QuickBooks being one that reigns supreme in the SMB space.

A foldable device, given current data crunching capability of ARM, would not remotely begin to be able to replace my home or office PC. Where it would be great is as a replacement for my current smartphone, and as a portable network troubleshooting/monitoring device that I would use daily, and a sufficient portable to take with me on vacation or business travel.

Yes, we did largely skip 8/8.1, but W10 adoption in the enterprise is going strong, with mostly positive reviews and feedback. I have roughly 65 PC on Windows 10, 8 servers running Server 2012 R2, and we also have over 70 Windows Phones deployed to our staff, and they are serving our needs just fine.
    Jcmg62 likes this.
    02-12-2018 11:51 AM
    It may not replace my laptop since I'm a developer. However it sure could (and would) replace my iPhone if it has LTE and a GPS.
    Jcmg62 likes this.
    02-12-2018 12:36 PM
    It's currently impossible to answer this question as a blanket statement because everyone's needs are different. Plus, a lot of people now have multiple devices: a phone, a PC, and a tablet. These devices all serve different purposes.
    Let's take up my personal array of devices and needs as an example. I have a desktop which I use for 3D modeling and gaming. I have a Surface 3 for on-to-go basic computing and for inking music in OneNote. I have a work laptop which is primarily used for Office tasks and the occasional use of Visual Studio. I also have a Windows 10 Mobile device.
    Assuming the device can make calls and easily fit into my pocket, it could replace my phone.
    Assuming it has some Continuum capabilities, it could replace my work laptop on days when I don't need Visual Studio. So if I work from home on a given day and know I'll be in Office all day, I could use that the whole time.
    If the device is large enough or can connect to a Continuum device that meets my needs, it could replace my Surface 3.
    As mentioned, it won't replace my desktop.

The real question is what can the device do as well or better than a PC, phone, or tablet and in what situations. Context is also hugely important. Take PCs and tablets. A lot of people have both. Smartphones just add texting and calling capabilities. Looking at just PCs and tablets, why do so many have both when a PC can do pretty much everything a tablet can do? Because context matters. I might need the power of a gaming desktop but also need the portability of a tablet for when I'm on the road. Adding phones to it, I might need a simple laptop for writing long college term papers but I also want a good phone so I can run the latest apps for communicating with friends on the go. In what situations will this device be able to replace a PC or tablet with little to no compromise?

Here's a shift in technology that I think is akin to what might happen with Andromeda and therefore can provide some perspective: The MP3 player. The standalone MP3 player has basically gone extinct. Look at Apple's homepage. The iPod isn't even listed in their top bar of devices. But we didn't stop listening to digital music. It's just that phones reached a point where they could replace the MP3 player. In the past, phones didn't have the capability of playing music, or they required goofy dongles that made it a pain, or you had to buy special headphones to do it, or playing music drained the battery too much and there was no easy way of charging on the go. All of these roadblocks are now gone (although Apple is bringing back the dongle to some degree) and new value has been added. You no longer need to connect to a PC to add music. USB ports for charging are starting to pop up everywhere. The MP3 player has been replaced and it was merged into another device. So how will Andromeda replace and build on what's already out there? We'll just have to wait and see.

But it all comes down to what the device costs, what it can do, and how well it does it. Until we know that, it's all just speculation. I will say though that the device alone without any Continuum like capabilities (connect to a dock or shell and make it more like a laptop/desktop/tablet experience), I don't see it making any waves or replacing anyone's computer or tablet.
    02-12-2018 02:14 PM
    Comfort and ergonomics are always important to to me. So any long setting are always done on a desktop with a very large monitor.
    02-12-2018 10:56 PM
44 12