03-16-2018 03:04 PM
81 1234
tools
    Who's screen looks like that?
    Originally posted by axone ten
    I don't understand how can people like this single coloured ugly square box UI
    screenshot-21-.png
    Jochen Trump likes this.
    02-28-2018 06:07 PM
    Live tiles are one of the things that attracted me to Windows phones in the first place. Would hate to see them go.
    02-28-2018 06:10 PM
    Ok people MWC 2018 is here and I’m still seeing titles headers saying “rumored” where is the announcement?
    02-28-2018 06:56 PM
    Live - iles are pure genius and if Apple had been the 1 to use them, they would have been credited for saving the world. Live Tiles are a must and if it doesn't have them, I won't purchase it or any other device that runs a version of Windows without them. I would rather have Live Tiles than a huge selection of apps. However I am a little concerned that the Microsoft launcher for Android might be a hint at where they are heading with their Mobile OS in the future and I find that unacceptable for a Windows device.
    Jochen Trump and BanditoTR like this.
    02-28-2018 07:38 PM
    Dear God yes. Live tiles brought me to windows mobile and are the best of windows 8 and 10.
    02-28-2018 07:48 PM
    Yes of course... I miss live tiles on my new android phone... Windows mobile is greater than Android. But mostly the reason wp lost is the appgap
    02-28-2018 07:50 PM
    Live Tiles my have a little age on them, but they are still the cleanest looking UI out there. I think MSFT should definitely incorporate them with Andromeda in some way. In reality though if they don't make a push to market this device like they did the Surface when it first came out, Andromeda will be just another great idea that another company will expand upon.
    02-28-2018 08:24 PM
    Absolutely!
    02-28-2018 08:28 PM
    Maybe. They really need more personality, though. The new store tile introduced in the second creator's update was a step in the right direction, but most of the stock app icons are boring and hard to differentiate at a glance. The plain white icons just don't do it for me anymore.

Honestly, MS has clever UI people, and I bet they could come up with something cooler.
    02-28-2018 08:32 PM
    Who knows!

Tiles are still central to Windows 10 so it would be odd to totally change the experience, especially if it supports any Continuum mode.

My guess is it will be similar to the mobile menu or desktop tablet mode menu.

edit: I see this is in Ask Dan!! My answer remains but perhaps he'll let you know his thoughts too!
    To be frank, I want live tiles to be evolved so that they can be interactive as much as possible. Just glancing the data is nice but a bit interactive is also perhaps the next evolution for live tiles.
    02-28-2018 09:06 PM
    I could not imagine any other UI no matter how many times it folds, but without titles . . . well there may be other options - ☎.
    02-28-2018 09:23 PM
    its because of lack of apps not live tiles....***** @bleached
    02-28-2018 09:48 PM
    No. Live tiles are ugly and no one except the most ardent windows phone fans want it.

I'll even go a step further and call it mostly useless. It's nice having it on some apps (photos app) but 99% of apps do not need it. Meaning that 99% of your icons will be static squares that dont do anything besides make the home screen look busy as hell.

Let's not even get into the fact that when i had a Windows Phone, i had to arrange the tiles in the order to make them look aesthetically nice instead of which ones i used more often. Also when i was looking to open an app, it would always take me a while to search for it because live tile home screen is a busy mess.

I'll keep repeating this forever. Live tiles only work on big screens. They never worked on small screens because of the busyness.
    02-28-2018 10:23 PM
    Yes and with more functionality. Square home 2 launcher has some interesting twists to live tiles, such as the cube tile. It's also cool mixing widgets with live tiles. Unfortunately, SH2 slows done when using too many cubes and widgets. I'm sure MS can take tiles to the next level.
    02-28-2018 10:24 PM
    yes, very much. and more interaction
    02-28-2018 11:32 PM
    Yes - Live Tiles make Windows phones look unique! Android and iOS app icons look the same as my old old iPhone 3 way back when...nothing has changed with them. I've currently got my S8+ set up using Launcher 10, to look like my 950 XL start screen...most of the live tiles are working (albeit not as well as the 'real thing'....)
    Jochen Trump likes this.
    02-28-2018 11:58 PM
    I don't understand how can people like this single coloured ugly square box UI
    Attachment 138791
    Well, it may also look like this:startmenue-win-10.png
    03-01-2018 01:49 AM
    I dont care anymore. I will not buy any MS devices anymore. MS is an unrelaible company that likes to fxxk its customers.
    03-01-2018 02:55 AM
    Microsoft should make live tiles optional. app grid option instead of app list & ability to choose app grid or app list as home screen.
    03-01-2018 03:41 AM
    I love live tiles, BUT what a lot of complaints here are real complaints. Things is, it's not the idea of the live tile that is the problem. It's the lack of customization. Logos are to bland custom they are mostly white! Yes, so the app developer should be able to upload any app logo. Tile colors are almost all the same and it's bland. Sure, so allow custom colors for each tile and let developers decide what default color their tile should be. Hats to see the app name? Custom size of font and color of the font. It's not a problem of tiles themselves, it's the lack of options. There are apps though that can set a tulle for an app to change the role for that app but you do lose the ability to have the file live then though.
    03-01-2018 07:36 AM
    Hmmm, let me comment this:
    - For me, my home screen is the screen where I place those apps I frequently use. Not all of them. So it's not a busy mess for me.
    - I agree, most of the apps do not need it. But, as I said, this won't cause my home screen look busy as hell, as there are only my favourite apps.
    - I do not need to place my tiles so that they look nice. I place them in a way so I can reach them with my thumb. I'm right handed, so my frequently used apps are on the right side of my home Screen. Try this on an iPhone ... won't work.
    - If you need to search for the app you want to open, you probably put to many of them on your home screen. Clean up your mess :-)
    - And yes, live tiles work on smaller screens. My parents, my parents in law (all of them over 70 years) and me use them. And we love them. I can stick a single contact to my home screen, and it's live tile will show me missed calls, mails ...
    - Even a live tile in a subfolder works no matter how big it is

For me, the current version of the start menu in Windows 10 and also on my Windows Mobile Phone are the best I ever used (and I'd be an owner of an iPad and also an iPhone!).
    03-01-2018 07:54 AM
    Provide an option to turn them off.
    Well, you CAN turn them off
    03-01-2018 08:01 AM
    who knows!

Tiles are still central to windows 10 so it would be odd to totally change the experience, especially if it supports any continuum mode.

My guess is it will be similar to the mobile menu or desktop tablet mode menu.

Edit: I see this is in ask dan!! My answer remains but perhaps he'll let you know his thoughts too!

yassssssssss!
    03-01-2018 10:05 AM
    Yes. But they do need a big update like having pics with text and being able to go to where the information is displayed. Currently you can't do that in Win10
    Jochen Trump likes this.
    03-01-2018 10:49 PM
    They have to be careful. If they ****ed up with an incomplete OS like they did with Win10 Mobile they won't have a third chance at it.
    03-01-2018 10:50 PM
81 1234