Further Andromeda Speculation.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
Do you think it is likely that this foldable device may be released in more sizes than just a phone?

It strikes me that we are all looking at this as a "replacement" for Windows phone while MS is messaging that this is most definitely not a phone but a new category of computer. It would be easier to build a larger version and would also make it easier to position the device as "not a phone". In much the same way that moleskines come in different sizes depending on what you want them for do you think it is likely that we will see this device in sizes other than those that fold down to fit into a pocket?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Whenever they come with this category defining device (probably after Samsung does unfortunately), it will have to be a mobile replacement device imo. But one you'll also use for multiple type 'canvases' (PC-like/tablet-like/phone-like/fill-in-the-blank). If it can't do that initially (replace your current mobile) it will be hard to build the initial niche they need to get users to want/need one. However, if Microsoft really is building up the ecosystem around such a device the they themselves have confidence in it and therefore the device types/sizes could vary.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by Nate W
Whenever they come with this category defining device (probably after Samsung does unfortunately), it will have to be a mobile replacement device imo. But one you'll also use for multiple type 'canvases' (PC-like/tablet-like/phone-like/fill-in-the-blank). If it can't do that initially (replace your current mobile) it will be hard to build the initial niche they need to get users to want/need one. However, if Microsoft really is building up the ecosystem around such a device the they themselves have confidence in it and therefore the device types/sizes could vary.

Samsung doesn't make OS and the software will matter just as much. Look at their tablets, pretty good hardware, but I wouldn't buy an android tablet over a Surface Pro or iPad. I suspect if Surface team can make a compelling device and software (Andromeda is both hardware and software), oems like Samsung, LG etc will make them too and popularize the category.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
As a former marketing person I'm curious to see how they position this without having people make the obvious comparison to the ios and android. Already people are calling it the Surface Phone. It will take some fancy footwork to get away from people thinking of it as mainly a phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos