Is "Andromeda" happening?

Prometheus2021

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
What's the latest news regarding the "Andromeda" device? Should we hold off on buying new phones (Those of us still on W10P) Or should we make the jump to a new device?

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It should come out this year. There are some rumours that it may even be showcased at the Build conference in May so that Microsoft can show off cshell.

However, other rumours are saying it'll be announced and showcased in October at the next big Windows Update event (Redstone 5).

Either way, it probably won't be available for purchase until the end of the year...or possibly early 2019.

But there are 3 things you should keep in mind:

1. It's going to be expensive. Several rumours suggest this will be a $1000+ device

2. It's not going to be widely available. Because this is not going to be positioned as a "phone" there is a very good chance that traditional mobile providors won't carry it in store. It may have to be bought from Microsoft directly and will use esim technology for a voice/data signal. No one is any the wiser on this yet. MS have been burned in mobile before and won't be making millions of these devices available from day one. In reality, it could be as hard to get hold of one as it is getting a hololens.

3. It's a first generation, highly experimental device and might be very buggy and susceptible to faults and damage. Just about every first generation device experiences major problems. Early adopters may not have the best end -user experience.

So, if you need a cheap/reasonable priced, widely available, tried and tested mobile device you might want to consider getting something else and waiting a year or two to see how this Andromeda thing plays out.

But yeah, just like you I cannot wait for it to arrive :)

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
It should come out this year. There are some rumours that it may even be showcased at the Build conference in May so that Microsoft can show off cshell.

However, other rumours are saying it'll be announced and showcased in October at the next big Windows Update event (Redstone 5).

Either way, it probably won't be available for purchase until the end of the year...or possibly early 2019.

But there are 3 things you should keep in mind:

1. It's going to be expensive. Several rumours suggest this will be a $1000+ device

2. It's not going to be widely available. Because this is not going to be positioned as a "phone" there is a very good chance that traditional mobile providors won't carry it in store. It may have to be bought from Microsoft directly and will use esim technology for a voice/data signal. No one is any the wiser on this yet. MS have been burned in mobile before and won't be making millions of these devices available from day one. In reality, it could be as hard to get hold of one as it is getting a hololens.

3. It's a first generation, highly experimental device and might be very buggy and susceptible to faults and damage. Just about every first generation device experiences major problems. Early adopters may not have the best end -user experience.

So, if you need a cheap/reasonable priced, widely available, tried and tested mobile device you might want to consider getting something else and waiting a year or two to see how this Andromeda thing plays out.

But yeah, just like you I cannot wait for it to arrive :)

Very glad to read this. ;D

But... do you really think it will be so expensive? If Microsoft want to fight a place in the market, has to put a competitive prize.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Very glad to read this. ;D

But... do you really think it will be so expensive? If Microsoft want to fight a place in the market, has to put a competitive prize.

I think Microsoft will charge a lot for this device. Remember, they want to position this as a "new catagory." They don't want people making similarities between this device and other mobile phones.

And because it's a new catagory they'll set the entry price high. Think about surface hub or Hololens. Because these devices are built to create and define a new market sector they're very expensive and actually quite difficult to get hold.of.

And let's face it, there's no such thing as a "cheap" Microsoft device anymore. Even a basic entry level surface pro with a low spec processor will hit you back £750. A decent surface book is £2000 and a rocking surface studio starts at £3000

Andromeda will come with a big price tag and MS won't really care if they sell 10 or a million

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
Looking at the patents I think it might be better to think about this as the next Surface Tablet (that can make phone calls) rather than as the "Surface Phone" pricing is likely to reflect that positioning.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
I think Microsoft will charge a lot for this device. Remember, they want to position this as a "new catagory." They don't want people making similarities between this device and other mobile phones.

And because it's a new catagory they'll set the entry price high. Think about surface hub or Hololens. Because these devices are built to create and define a new market sector they're very expensive and actually quite difficult to get hold.of.

And let's face it, there's no such thing as a "cheap" Microsoft device anymore. Even a basic entry level surface pro with a low spec processor will hit you back £750. A decent surface book is £2000 and a rocking surface studio starts at £3000

Andromeda will come with a big price tag and MS won't really care if they sell 10 or a million

That's true, it's the same that Apple did when introduced the market of smartphones and tablets. But in any case, it has to be a competitive price, above 1.000£ is a huge cost.

I think it's not true at all that they don't want to make similarities with phone devices, because they need to introduce themselves in this market, get back the lost terrain. The most important is to win users, not too much money, Microsoft know it as we could see with the free Windows 8 to 10 update (in PCs and mobile phones), so I think Microsoft will be care about the numbers. It's my opinion.

Looking at the patents I think it might be better to think about this as the next Surface Tablet (that can make phone calls) rather than as the "Surface Phone" pricing is likely to reflect that positioning.

As I have said, I think this is not true at all. Why they would reléase a new "tablet" really expensive. If people want a tablet, they will buy a standar tablet (Surface, iPad, Android, etc.), and if people want a Smartphone, they will buy one, not a mini-tablet (Surface Phone) which is too much expensive.

Microsoft is in the hard situation of give to this device the image of something new and innovative, but at the same time, the image of a smartphone.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
If they price this as a phone or for comparison to phones then they go head to head with Android/IOS. Which is a fight that they won't win. There hasn't been any official messaging on this yet but the rumours seem to be talking about a "not phone" that is a "whole new category". Which to me suggests pricing somewhere above the phone realm, but below that of a high end tablet (so cheaper than a Surface Pro).

I do agree with you though that this will have all the failings of a first gen. device and Microsoft if they are smart will deliberately keep expectations low.

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I saw an interesting app posted, Ink to Code. It list "mobile" as a platform, but uses a version of 10 not coming to mobile, cites compatibility with ink, and is a good "on the go" app. I wonder if this is a hint Andromeda will be coopting the "Mobile" label in the store.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I saw an interesting app posted, Ink to Code. It list "mobile" as a platform, but uses a version of 10 not coming to mobile, cites compatibility with ink, and is a good "on the go" app. I wonder if this is a hint Andromeda will be coopting the "Mobile" label in the store.

I have no clue so my opinion has no evidence to back it up, but, I think MS will stay away from any reference to "phone" and mobile is pretty close. Maybe something like, "On the Go Surface" lol. Or Maybe Pocket Surface. Some other name or term that means mobile/phone. Even though I've never seen any surface sold numbers I do believe the surface brand has been successful so they will marry the device to the surface brand before anything mobile. <shrug>

Twitter: @PhotographyET

covfefe

Banned
Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
The primary device will not be phone sized, ie. will not fit in pocket. The other one... we'll have to wait and see if it gets cancelled or not. Inking is kind of useless on a device with a crevice.

Rowdy Bedsaul

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, but a lot of us can only afford to buy a new device every few years. I'm waiting until my device quite on me before I buy a new one. And i'm actually having to use an old phone as a Ring doorbell work around because the quite support windows Mobile.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte