Andromeda? What happened to Andromeda?

rodneyej

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
No mention of Andromeda for quite some time now. I've been feeling like WC staff has either given up on Andromeda, or some internal news has made WC change direction on this subject. Is it canceled? As far as WC staff knows, is it still on course? What's the deal?

cloakandcipher

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
If you take a look at the latest Ask Dan video he mentions that we should be hearing more news in "the next few weeks and months." Sure doesn't seem like it has been canceled as of now, but we have to remember that it isn't even officially announced at the moment/we only have patents to go on for leaks, so big expectations about frequent updates will probably lead to disappointment.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If you take a look at the latest Ask Dan video he mentions that we should be hearing more news in "the next few weeks and months." Sure doesn't seem like it has been canceled as of now, but we have to remember that it isn't even officially announced at the moment/we only have patents to go on for leaks, so big expectations about frequent updates will probably lead to disappointment.

Yep. He also mentions that he's recently had a peak at some apps (probably Microsoft apps such as Whiteboard or Journal) running on dual screens.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
Probably going to be made public soon since the leaks and patents have gone all quiet. I suspect they may say something at Build. It would be logical to release a new platform to developers first.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Not that I am saying this will happen, however sometimes all you gets are leaks and whispers, like the Nokia Windows Smart Watch which made it to prototype.

18375-0685890fb320f9724978e9422809a24d.jpg

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
As others noted (thank you!) we've beent talking a lot about Andromeda on AskDan and even the podcast.

It's not cancelled. Program is still going forward, we are still getting bits of news around it. We often get a lot of new info and confirm it before writing an article, would rather not trickle out "news" stories on it.

Info about Andromeda is now being teased/seeded to other lower chains at Microsoft, so expect to start hearing more soon i.e. leaks. No idea though if that means Build.

Viipottaja

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Dan, sounds promising. By the way, would be be great if the Ask Dan videos had their publish date on the opening frame.

Any idea whether it will be a foldable display (which one might expect or at least hope at this point), or just two screens with minimal gap between?

Trix256

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Good news that Andromeda is still going. However it seems the longer Microsoft takes to release things the quicker the competition catches up. I see Motorola submitted a patent for a foldable smartphone recently. Microsoft are fantastic and innovative but seem to be too slow or poor in marketing to get their great features out there.

Inaam Ashraf

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
As others noted (thank you!) we've beent talking a lot about Andromeda on AskDan and even the podcast.

It's not cancelled. Program is still going forward, we are still getting bits of news around it. We often get a lot of new info and confirm it before writing an article, would rather not trickle out "news" stories on it.

Info about Andromeda is now being teased/seeded to other lower chains at Microsoft, so expect to start hearing more soon i.e. leaks. No idea though if that means Build.

MS is backing away from the Qualcomm powered always-on PCs...Plus Samsung S10 is rumoured to be a foldable device just like the Andromeda... So MS needs to release Andromeda before the start of next year, which does not seem possible! So I think you should also start believing that Andromeda is DEAD!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3