Why are so many Microsoft services limited feature-wise, outside the USA?

PushMe96

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
And why does it appear like Microsoft is unconcerned about it? I recently changed my Surface's region to the US, and the experience is so, so much better.

PushMe96

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
Fair enough. I think I can understand the idea of them not giving a damn since there isn't much revenue to be gained by carrying the rest of the world along.

But isn't that sorta short-sighted? Wouldn't it make more sense to put in the infrastructure and admin investment needed to carry emerging markets along, for potential future gain? I live in Nigeria, and I know for a fact how little mindshare Microsoft has. Conversely, Google is "everywhere" here, though to be fair, I don't think they're making much money from the mindshare they have. There's a large Google-friendly developer community, though.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
AMERICA!

If it makes fiscal sense to expand features/products outside the US then they do it, if it doesn't they don't. It's that easy.

Dont agree with the fiscal sense part, Google and Amazon are making big bets outside US and minting money. I would say MS doesnt have the hunger to strike in the consumer space and hence the lag.

anon(10458357)

May 11, 2018
Visit site
I live in the US, but I am also a developer of UWP apps on the store. So yes, it's bloody irritating that Microsoft doesn't expand their major services like Bing Search, Bing Maps, Cortana, MS Rewards into at a minimum the following MAJOR markets:

ALL of Europe
Canada
Brazil
Argentina
Japan
Russia
China
South Africa
Australia
India
Phillipines
Vietnam

I have users of my app in all these places, and I spent hundreds of hours of my life translating the app (using Azure services) into the major languages of these markets, and yet I know for a fact that I could have more customers if only bloody Microsoft would support their bloody ecosystem properly!

It's EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING that Microsoft built an ecosystem that they just let wither on the vine! And this is outside of the bloody fact that because they abandoned mobile devices that my app acquisitions are about 10% of what they were prior to Nadella's taking the bloody helm!

Grr!!!!!

vbraca

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
If Microsoft does not address this issue immediately, it will soon bring the company down. I do not understand, what ***** does the company set off with such a policy?

ulfvar

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
I am getting really tired of everything from Microsoft and having to set all my settings to the U.S. just so I can have a decent experience with any of their products.

Bing is terrible in my country, Xbox live is not available in my country, I can not buy digital games on Xbox, if I have my computer settings set on my country the store is even worse than it already is. The list goes on and on and I am honestly giving up on it, Google supports where I live much better and I am seriously thinking about switching everything to google.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm very frustrated. I want to be able to control Spotify from Cortana, and I want to have all the Cortana services they have in USA. I also want a Harman Kardon speaker that works for my region and in my language, which is supported by Windows.

Microsoft is making a mistake and losing users and money because of this.

Martin_Hofman

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
And why does it appear like Microsoft is unconcerned about it? I recently changed my Surface's region to the US, and the experience is so, so much better.

I'm a big fan of software and hardware from Microsoft but it heart's when I read that Android or iPhone apps are getting new features and my Lumia950 don't.
I tell you this, I've never used Cortana! Because it's not working or listening. I think Al is probably the same as Cortana. Working in the USA but in the rest of the world it's ****! Azure is a nice looking web based Administration tool for Enterprise and developers but when I read that Microsoft is working on a possibility to unlock your pc/laptop using Windows Hello and NOT(!) have plans to develop it for Windows Phones!? WTF!!! And as I said Azure is a nice looking tool for Admin and development in the cloud, when it's came to consumers throw the Store as a kind of Lego to build our one apps that can be shared with friends and family Why isn't MS doing anything, or let's say, the same, for Windows phone/Lumia owners as for Android and Apple owners on Mobile?! Also in the US only it's possible to buy the latest hardware from Surface and by the time it's out in Europe where I live, a Surface book as already on Book 2 or new Book. The development off new hardware from MS is way to slow! Needed a new phone in okt/nov2016 for the Lumia's on Windows 10 Mobile and again a new phone in 2017 and a next right now! Every year a little upgrade of the hardware and software by Windows 10 Mobile
And make Azure accessible and usable for consumers! I want to make my prived network with in it my 4 laptops, Lumia950 phone, HD500 continuum, LG 55" FHD tv, 3 pc wired wifi boxes, router, wireless wifi printer with own email-address and Teufel Bluetooth speaker and more Bluetooth speakers or hardware like Surface Arc Mouse, foldable keyboard ect. But maybe also my kids there devices just for protection and no restrictions using Office 365 Home

lumia_kiwi

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
In New Zealand I have to change my region to get Cortana which works great for what I do. So I always wonder why we can't just get an international version of Cortana? It is very frustrating to missing out on Microsoft services that are available in the US

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit... There are only two things that bother me. First is Bing. I'm Portuguese and most results I get with it are in Brazilian Portuguese or, if in the real Portuguese, lacking. Second ties with Bing somewhat. The localization of some services or even the MS site itself. For me (and a lot of other people), it aches my soul when I see something localized in Brazilian Portuguese and MS does that more often than not.

Darren Hynes

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site

I use Google's assistant in Australia. Miles in front of Cortana and Alexa, and it opens my locked phone when I want. Bing is quite good here though. I prefer that over google's search function.

Darren Hynes

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
I'm very frustrated. I want to be able to control Spotify from Cortana, and I want to have all the Cortana services they have in USA. I also want a Harman Kardon speaker that works for my region and in my language, which is supported by Windows.

Microsoft is making a mistake and losing users and money because of this.

Why is it a mistake exaclty? I mean, how many people are there in your position wanting this feature? Enough to make MSFT more money than they will most likely rake in with their enterprise plan? Don't get me wrong, if they had a Cortana speaker that did everything a competing device can in my region, I would buy it. But there is no incentive for them to do so.

sbwright

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately the US restriction thing is not just Microsoft, Amazon does the same, and thats for Canada which should be minimal differences. As a fan its tough to take. But Microsoft no longer cares about the consumer business at all, AT ALL.. As a Halo fan its disgusting that this loser company has taken the Halo AI' s name Cortana and used it on their neglected attempt at an assistant, oh yah now an assistants aide. Typical Microsoft neglect. Microsoft is turning into a crapware company including windows 10. It's a good thing the cloud came along or they would cease to exist. They will eventually walk away from the consumer version of windows, and as for XBox that division will be neglected till it's sold or shutdown. Microsoft is to slow to the game if they show up at all and then just throw in the towel, on everything.

PushMe96

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
I have to admit... There are only two things that bother me. First is Bing. I'm Portuguese and most results I get with it are in Brazilian Portuguese or, if in the real Portuguese, lacking. Second ties with Bing somewhat. The localization of some services or even the MS site itself. For me (and a lot of other people), it aches my soul when I see something localized in Brazilian Portuguese and MS does that more often than not.

I can sorta relate to this. I live in Nigeria, with three major local languages (though our official language is English. We all for the most part speak English). For some reason, Microsoft has decided that I'm a Hausa (local language) speaker, and I get 2FA messages and online notifications in Hausa, which I don't speak. I'm Yoruba, I speak English. And I've not seen any option to change this without changing my actual location. It's really annoying.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Yes. Why after all this time they still don't have support for Spanish people, like Puerto Rico after so much time? Heck of they decided to go after Spain it would be all good seeing as it has a bigger market but they only have gone after US. Google in that part is way ahead of them because they go after everybody to the point their AI is decades ahead of them. They have Bing so it's not like they don't get data. Not as much as Google but I'll bet it's still in the billions of GB per year.

Vestfold Norway

May 20, 2018
Visit site
No, Cortana, no Edge on Ios and more. They should at least make the programs availibel in the local store. Now you have to choose between national apps or Microsoft Integration. So I have to wait, and wait and then wait som more. I still pay for the ecosystem, but I don't get full value

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa