Will Google advertise it's pixel book running Windows10 with google apps ?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
At first I didn't know why they would do this, but then it occurred to me why they are. They want chrome OS 2 in 1 hybrids to run on the same hardware as Windows on ARM.

In other words, they are not doing this to sell Windows devices at all, but in order to try and piggy back on OEMs making windows on Arm devices. They don't want to sell Windows, they want to write ChromeOS to a standard that matches windows licensing and encourage other OEMs of windows and chromebook to create devices that can run either OS.

Of course this also coincides with them announcing Linux emulation, making them vaguely comparable products. If you look at the HP ChromeOS x2, and the HP Envy x2, you can see where the whole computer market is going - lightweight ultramobile 3 in 1 computing devices that can replace tablet, laptop, and desktop - and that market is ripe for both windows on arm, and chromeOS.

I can see a device like this in the future, meeting the needs of 80 percent of users.

The thing is though, the snapdragon variants are created to be windows oriented. Things like the AI chipset. It's possible one could just run ChromeOS and ignore that - you'd still get the benefit of other features.

So IDK, about the apps. I'm not sure how the licensing works, but it's possible they might make the apps as an act of goodwill, given the desire for MSFT licenses, and wanting in on the snapdragons.

If they intend all the chromebook manufacturers to make windows compatible devices it would make sense - they have something to gain in users, but also they are essentially offering to share. It's an underdog move and a smart one, so I think google apps would make sense, for those users who then choose windows instead.

Taking the risk of losing ecosystem users, in order to gain ecosystem users, when search is their primary income source, is something I'd personally definately want to mitigate with apps. They really shouldn't care if people don't use chrome or android, only if they don't use google search or google services.

Gmail is already a PWA, and could go in the store today.

Tyson Wright

Dec 16, 2017
Visit site
Not likely, Google is disrespectful when it comes to the Microsoft ecosystem and refuses to use Microsoft based code in any of their programs. The only thing that they put on the Microsoft store was a download link for chrome, which has since been removed. I do not think that Microsoft will let them use Windows unless they put their apps on the store. I wonder if they will put apps on the store or if they will just put download links on their device.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Not likely, Google is disrespectful when it comes to the Microsoft ecosystem and refuses to use Microsoft based code in any of their programs. The only thing that they put on the Microsoft store was a download link for chrome, which has since been removed. I do not think that Microsoft will let them use Windows unless they put their apps on the store. I wonder if they will put apps on the store or if they will just put download links on their device.

Seems though, like they'd just lose google user loyalty if they don't though. If they are licensing the pixel and other chromebooks for windows, and people buy the windows version, with no store apps, they'll be google devices, without google apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes