Is Andromeda likely cancelled as the rumours say?

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Hey Dan, looks like several websites are reporting today that Andromeda has been cancelled as part of the recent Windows division shake up. How accurate do you think those reports are? Is Andromeda’s form factor only likely to live on if Third Parties take up the mantle?

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey Dan, looks like several websites are reporting today that Andromeda has been cancelled as part of the recent Windows division shake up. How accurate do you think those reports are? Is Andromeda’s form factor only likely to live on if Third Parties take up the mantle?

If they cancel it, they're mad. Absolutely stark raving mad. All of the major mobile players are driving dual-screen mobile technology.

It won't be the last wave in mobile technology advancement, but it's certainly a significant wave, and this time round Microsoft should try to be a part of it.

Even delaying it is risky.

trevorchadwick

May 18, 2017
Visit site
I think that with the PWA situation improving on a daily basis, and in a way that doesn't require extra development work, as well as Microsoft's plan to auto-index them and add them to the store, it will significantly cut down on the app-gap. (some people will still complain that it's not the same, but they will be there nonetheless) On top of that, if they were to either add ARM to Win32 emulation, or use a low power intel with Qualcomm radio (maybe even AMD's V1000 with a Qualcomm radio) and suddenly the app-gap is non-existent. Then the platform has a real chance...

jrealtor1

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't think Microsoft would cancel this particular project because it actually is the one device that could change the personal and enterprise computer paradigm going forward. Do I think they would delay it? Yes. The reason is that there is too much riding on not being in this space by having a product that was not completely ready. For those who think that this is a "Niche" device, I beg to differ. I have prepared personal interviews with consumer and enterprise users alike by using a scenario based and questions that covered personal use as well as professional. Out of every person I interviewed not one person said that they could not use a device like Andromeda! I repeat, not ONE. I used specs that are speculative of course, being that we don't really know the form factor or specs. Even with that being said everyone that I have interviewed stated that they would consider purchasing and using a device like this as their main driver or in conjunction to what ever computing device they currently use. Another reason why I post this because I know that there will be those who reply to this post by stating this device is "DOA" or "****** this ****** that" which I would reply, "Where is your boots on the ground facts?" After personally conducting my own survey, I am convinced that the "Andromeda" device is worth releasing.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
who knows. I think it's still hard to say at this point in time. For me the focus on business over consumers, the still desktoppy thinking with the first windows on ARM devices, and the deadslow improvments of the tablet exprience in windows 10, and windows 10 mobile in maintenace mode makes me think microsoft can't think beyond a desktop mouse and keyboard, even in the mobility space.

dsharp75

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Let's assume its a niche product. So are the Surface Studio and Surface Hub. For that matter so are the iPhone X and Galaxy Note. Niche has its place. But Andromeda has the potential to be bigger than a niche.
By refining the tablet experience but runs full Windows 10, coupled with always on connectivity and day long battery life with x86, x64, PWA and yes UWP apps, the app gap nearly disappears. MS's biggest issue now is the timing with the latest and greatest tech.
1. 5G isn't ready yet, but will be soon(ish). Qualcomm is ready, Intel not so much, MS has superior engineering regarding antennas to get the best signals to the device. Some carriers aren't playing nice with e-Sims
2. ARM vs Intel. The tradeoffs continue. Lets see if SnapDragon 950 gets us closer to an i3/i5 performance with the great battery life and better internet modem that Qualcomm delivers. OR, Intel U/Y series with a better modem and better power management.
3. Windows 10 and cShell. Honestly, cShell should have been done in 2016, yet its still not done, Go figure.
4. First class UWP MS apps. Finally adding ink support to Mail is the closest confirmation we've ever had the Andromeda was real. Why else add that? Devs have see the multi tabbed/paged code samples and its not from the delayed "Sets".
Courier was a niche product. It was never released, yet nearly a decade later, many people still wish for it as a modern product. Why? It was better than the clock radios everyone else put out but it would have further fragmented Windows and it did not directly fit in the MS world.
Fast forward to Andromeda - runs full Windows 10, runs Office, can access the cloud and make the pc personal again. Coupled with OEM support so you can choose what device you want but still run Excel anywhere with your data is a huge win.
People read the concept of Andromeda and think artist tablet or smartphone with a bigger screen.
But Andromeda is so much more than that. It really it.
See the future from your pocket; watch it blur the lines on mobile/desktop use. Smart phones will go back to being entertainment devices - have you really ever tried to edit anything on a phone? It's a terrible experience....

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Depends on what the reason of delay is. If it's about OS not being ready as Windows Central reports than yes it may get released. If it's about app gap, then things get a little tricky. Is Microsoft really trying to court app developers again after rebooting their previous mobile platform three times before eventually killing it? And why kill it if to bring it back 2-3 years later. Could have done with new flow of apps during those years as well as existing apps may still have support instead of being left. Truly a terrible decision by Microsoft or at least poor communication with developer community regarding their mobile ambitions. And for this reason alone I think Microsoft wouldn't release this device unless they are targeting a niche market like Surface Hub and Studio where app gap has least effect.

tmoore71

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
It would not surprise me in the least if Andromeda has been cancelled. I stuck with Windows Mobile through thick and thin. While my 950 is gone, I still have a 930 which, to me, is one of the best phones ever made. All of us have gone through numerous Microsoft cancellations over the years. Why should Andromeda be any different?

dmm96452

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I hope it still happens. I really want off of the Google ecosystem no matter the cost. (With the exception of going to Apple. I'll pay through the nose but I will not sell my soul.)

Jeffery L

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
I do not believe Microsoft will cancel Andromeda. Andromeda, and all the Windows software that has to support the dual screen device, will be the most important thing Microsoft has done in a long time. The day has arrived where something that fits in your pocket is powerful enough to be a desktop computer. The Windows 10 on ARM devices running on a phone chip (Qualcomm 835) is proof of that. Andromeda will run on even a faster chip, so can serve as a desktop running through Continuum. The true revolutionary thing about Andromeda is that it will be a 3-in-1 (phone, tablet, and desktop). This is something that will take time, but eventually, we are all going to move to just having a single device. It just makes sense. The exception will be extremely powerful desktops used for supercomputing needs and high performance gaming. I work on software for oncologists to make radiosurgery plans carried out by robotic linacs. This software uses massively parallel computing on very expensive and LARGE graphics cards to compute the simulation of exposing tissue to radiation (e.g. dose calculations). This type of computing will never go pocketable because we will always need the Lamborghini of computers to carry out these calculations. Most computing work can be handled by a Honda Civic (to push this metaphor). And now a Honda Civic can fit in your pocket. This is a defining moment in computing history that a Honda Civic can fit in your pocket. Operating systems need to be ready for this. That is, they need to be ready for the 3-in-1 device. Andromeda is this play for this future of operating systems. A future were operating systems are form factor agnostic. When people start to see the simplicity of a 3-in-1 device, they will start to realize how dumb it is to pay for a flagship phone and laptop that run two different app eco systems.

Andromeda is also revolutionary because it has dual screens. I remember when I got my first dual monitor desktop setup. The productivity gain was amazing. Once you get use to two monitors, you can never go back to just one. It will also be that way in mobile. To be able to see two apps at the same time will be awesome, and once you get used to it, you will not want to go back.

But Andromeda is more than just having two screens. The OS is being fitted to allow a single application to utilize two monitors. This, in the history of computing, is something completely new and revolutionary. For all of time, windowing OS such as Mac, Linux, and Windows, allow a process to map to a single main window. Generally that single main window is used maximized to a single monitor. On multiple monitor setup, a single main window can be enlarged to span monitors, but generally that doesn't work to well. I've worked on Radiology reading web applications that could run on four super high resolution monitors. This was done by opening four browser process (one for each monitor). Some window z-order magic was needed to make these four process main windows act like they were one applications. That is why there are very few Windows applications that truly know how to utilize multiple monitors. Visual Studio is one that comes to mind. Other application utilize child windows tied to the main window that can be dragged to the other monitor, but by in large these child windows are temporary. The dual screen API coming in Windows 10 to support Andromeda will allow a single app to easily use two panels that can be situated on separate monitors. This will be liberating for app developers and super cool for users when an app can make a really nice two panel layout for optimal productivity without having to make the user drag windows around. Duel panel apps will be super cool. They will still work on a single screen, but once you are used to the dual panel layout, you won't want to go back.

Windows 10 is a great operating system, but it has a ton of legacy baggage dating back several decades. The time is now for Windows 10 to evolve for the future. It cannot stay the same due to the reality of computer miniaturization happening today. Core OS is the right move for this new future and Microsoft has to get versions of Core OS out there so they can iterate it. Andromeda needs to be that first iteration.

If Microsoft waits too long to release Andromeda, it will be really bad for them. When 3-in-1s are more and more common place, people will not solely choose a platform due to app availability. The operating system will play a role in the platform choice. If your single device was using Android, would you be happy when it stops getting updates in a year and half? Microsoft needs to position itself to be the operating system of choice for 3-in-1 devices. They cannot wait for this because Google is working on Fuchsia and it will probably also be a 3-in-1 operating system. Fuchsia will also run Android apps. Billions are already familiar with the Android app eco system. Fuchsia could do serious damage to Microsoft's dominance in desktop computing, especially in the future when desktop and mobile are one in the same. Microsoft cannot cancel Andromeda.

GeorgeOnArm

May 20, 2017
Visit site
@Jeffrey L.. U nail it... the truth power of Amdromeda... It is not just some 2 panels Android device can mimic...

Push for Andromeda Emulator... and unleash your creativity....

Andromeda will be the device for developers or designers like u As what Mac used to do for artists...

Garry Terry

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
If reports that Microsoft sold a staggering number of their phone patents are true (2016 online business insider magazine), I think it's over.
I hope I'm wrong and I hope they launch a really cool device, that you can talk on and carry in your pocket.
But, it seems they're content to play nice with their competition in the hopes of getting their programs on their devices.
What a mistake it was to drop out of the smartphone market.
And, really tick off a lot of their most dependable customers.

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
"But in the last month, my phone has started rebooting when I try to take a picture. Last week, it started doing that when I clicked a link and it tried to open edge. So I've lost the web and picture taking functions."

Have you tried a new battery? That fixed similar problems for me on my 950.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6