Microsoft Android Phone?

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Dan tried to argue that you could effectively turn an Android phone into a Windows phone. This just angers me every time I see someone make this claim. You simply can't get there. NONE of the true integration is possible on Android. EVERY aspect of a Windows phone you try to implement requires a collection of separate apps, etc., and rarely do they actually work as advertised. Even Microsoft's own Launcher is a joke. Cortana is just as bad. It is impossible to get the same Cortana experience--something we depend on in our household--on an Android device. None of the Tile launchers out there are anything more than a façade---they don't actually transform the device. Everything within Android is designed to take you OUT of a Windows phone experience, and is at least as disruptive as being taken out of VR when you have to do things like type on a keyboard. I agree with Dan that Microsoft will not likely create their own Android phone and that it wouldn't make sense for them to do so. It would take a dramatic conversion in order for them to integrate Cortana and other features on a level that even comes close to Windows phone. And that's something they won't do.

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
do you think google will release a device running windows? c'mon! on with the real questions :p

It wouldn't be running Windows. That was the POINT of the question. It would be running Android. The assumption is that it would be skinned to mimic some aspects of Windows and have more integrated aspects much like the Galaxy does (like Bixby).

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Oh, hell no. MS is a software company. They didn't build any phones, they built an OS to run on phones that others built. When that wasn't working out that well, they bought a phone company. See how that worked out. Why would they build a phone to run some other company's OS? To run their own apps, skins, launchers? Plenty of options for that out there already, without MS sinking more $$ into a hardware money pit. P.S. I miss Windows Phone, but it existed for the OS, not the hardware. Without the OS the hardware side is pointless.

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely, every tech press writer states about Microsoft's lack of presence in the mobile market, MS cannot rely on Android continuing to allow Microsoft apps in the store, by forking a windows android/device they solve both these issues even if its a short term solution.
If MS made a device free from the google services, I would definitely be interested.

Glen Barrington

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
I've never used a Windows phone, so I have no nostalgia for it. Android (& before, Palm) is all I've ever known. But I've really started to like Win 10, and how it interacts with OneDrive, and as a result, I've found myself exploring the Microsoft Android apps and have discovered that I like them very much and am using them pretty much exclusively except for Cortana. Cortana is fine on my desktop as a driver for Bing search. But as an assistant, it can't hold a candle to Google.

What would the point be for a Microsoft Windows phone? What would it offer Microsoft that me loading all those MS apps on my Motorola doesn't provide them? I just can't see what MS would get out of such a move.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
No, because it's pointless. The Android phone market is already overcrowded. If they thought sales of Windows Phones were too low, sales of an Android phone would make Windows phone sales look massive in comparison.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Do you think Microsoft will release an Android phone?

sorry I'm not trying to be rude, but this has got to be THE dumbest question... like... think about your question... would apple do it? would google put windows? I mean C'MOOON

also I can't believe you guys are answering his question let alone entertaining ideas on stuff :confused:

ps I can't believe theres no rolley eyes emoticon... I think you need to remove some and put a rolley eyes

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Hell no. Why should they? What is going to be so different from any other Android phone available? It'll be easier and cheaper to just pay phone manufacturers to pre install their apps as default on their phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6