Surface Pro 4 dead

turbo022

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I just had my surface pro 4 completely die on me yesterday after only 18 months. It locked up on me so I hard power cycled it, but now only the keyboard backlight comes on when you power it up. No "Surface" boot screen, no nothing (the screen backlight doesn't even come on). I have tried every button holding reset combo I could find. I even have let it sit all night and completely drained the battery. The external monitor output shows no signal as well. Pretty sure this thing is dead. Since it is out of warranty it is $450 for a refurbished replacement. What are your thoughts on going through the replacement process vs buying a new Surface Pro (or other device).

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
You can't access the BIOS? Interestingly (or maybe not since the unit CAN be operated without a keyboard), the way to enter the BIOS which they call the UEFI, you use the following procedure (hint it's the volume UP button!).....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023531/surface-how-to-use-surface-uefi

PS IF it's a screen issue itself, you should connect to that external monitor while you try to enter the UEFI.

turbo022

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Tried getting into the BIOS but unfortunately that doesn't work either. There is no output on the display port when hooked to an external monitor either.

I swung by a local MS store today. They confirmed it as well. This thing is dead, with my only option to pay $599 for a refurbished one. I thought it was interesting if I went through the MS store it was higher than if I request it through the support site online.

Given that is now the state of my SP4 should I pay for a refurb? Personally I don't think it is worth it at this point.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Not as powerful, BUT a bit more affordable would be a new Surface Go. Perhaps THAT is the solution, OR a hybrid from another company? HP, Asus, Acer, all make much more affordable models.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05