Does MS need "fans" anymore?

rodneyej

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Does MS need "fans" anymore? Do technology fans need to be fans of MS? Has MS become just another tool that is necessary for technology to work in the background? I mean, screwdrivers are necessary for maintaining computer hardware, but I don't see anyone claiming to be a Stanley Tools fan. At what point can we remove MS out of the consumer facing electronics side, and place them with the likes of Cisco, IBM, and Siemens?

rodneyej

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Of course there's still Windows, and Surface, but Windows is rarely used for pleasure, and Surface is most likely the last product MS has keeping consumers reminded that MS still exist. I'm not sure 10 year olds even know what MS is.
Could my questioning stop if MS released Andromeda? Possibly

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I think it can depend on the use case for each individual. Say gamers and content creators, I think MS is almost a necessary evil. For one who just surfs the web, watches YouTube, checks email, almost any OS will be just fine.

But that doesn't really answer your question....MS has gotten to the point where I guess they don't need them, but at the same time, they shouldn't turn a deaf ear to what people criticize them for, either.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Well, Sears in 2018 is basically dead and waiting for its final liquidation. Microsoft isn't there yet, but repeated the mistakes of Sears' management as they rested on their laurels, failed to correctly diagnose where the market was headed and ended up in a position that was not future proofed and was fundamentally noncompetitive.

Unless Google is broken up by antitrust action in the next couple if years, they will be the demise of Microsoft.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Every business needs fans to thrive. No fans = no sales and revenue to keep afloat.

You're confusing "fans" with "customers", pretty sure very few in enterprise use Microsoft software because they are "fans" of Microsoft but their tools mostly run on that platform so they have no choice but to be customers of Microsoft. Huge difference.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, Sears in 2018 is basically dead and waiting for its final liquidation. Microsoft isn't there yet, but repeated the mistakes of Sears' management as they rested on their laurels, failed to correctly diagnose where the market was headed and ended up in a position that was not future proofed and was fundamentally noncompetitive.

Unless Google is broken up by antitrust action in the next couple if years, they will be the demise of Microsoft.
Have you seen Microsoft's valuation? They're in a neck-and-neck race with that giant-slayer Google (Alphabet) to be the 3rd company to reach the trillion club.

anon(10531858)

Oct 6, 2018
Visit site
While I don't think "fan" is quite the right word, it's not the wrong one either. All makers of products and services have a need to build a loyalty base. These are repeat customers because they believe in the product, and offer invaluable free "word of mouth" advertising to their friends and family.

We still see this strategy in cars/trucks today, even though sure a car is really just a "utility" that gets us from point A to point B. But when guys say things like "I'm a Chevy man" or "I'm a Ford man" they're really saying their "fans", loyal repeat customers, of the company and their products.

That said, MS has screwed the pooch in the last excruciating painful 3 years under Nadella. That guy doesn't understand even the remote concept of building a loyal customer base. He never would have canceled Windows Mobile without first having Andromeda (running Core OS) sitting proudly on store shelves as Windows Mobile proud successor. If or no other reason than by doing so you royally tick off developers and fans who invested heavily in your platform. That anger only boils over and ends up with them spurning MS to all their friends and family.

Where does that leave Nadella and Microsoft? It leaves them with users who are FORCED to use their products during working hours. It leaves them with an entire generation of young people who see them as an old stodgy has-been. And when they grow up, and are the decision makers in the Enterprise they will one day replace all the Microsoft servers, desktops, and laptops with Google based products, just as surely as our generation replaced our IBM mainframes and dumb terminals with PCs.

rodneyej

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Holy Moly!! Exactly! What happens when they are replaced im enterprise? Then what??? And, that could happen in the future.
Originally posted by jp144
While I don't think "fan" is quite the right word, it's not the wrong one either. All makers of products and services have a need to build a loyalty base. These are repeat customers because they believe in the product, and offer invaluable free "word of mouth" advertising to their friends and family.

We still see this strategy in cars/trucks today, even though sure a car is really just a "utility" that gets us from point A to point B. But when guys say things like "I'm a Chevy man" or "I'm a Ford man" they're really saying their "fans", loyal repeat customers, of the company and their products.

That said, MS has screwed the pooch in the last excruciating painful 3 years under Nadella. That guy doesn't understand even the remote concept of building a loyal customer base. He never would have canceled Windows Mobile without first having Andromeda (running Core OS) sitting proudly on store shelves as Windows Mobile proud successor. If or no other reason than by doing so you royally tick off developers and fans who invested heavily in your platform. That anger only boils over and ends up with them spurning MS to all their friends and family.

Where does that leave Nadella and Microsoft? It leaves them with users who are FORCED to use their products during working hours. It leaves them with an entire generation of young people who see them as an old stodgy has-been. And when they grow up, and are the decision makers in the Enterprise they will one day replace all the Microsoft servers, desktops, and laptops with Google based products, just as surely as our generation replaced our IBM mainframes and dumb terminals with PCs.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm still a bit confused/troubled/worried about someone being a fan. Supporting a company or a brand, not necessarily for what it is, but maybe for what those persons believe it should be?
Are fans the preachers when things look good to them? Do fans swear in public to move away from fully X to fully Y when X does not play with them the way it should, and try to take as many as possible with them? Can fans mock bosses and call them with (racist) names, in public, when product line Z comes to the end of it's technological or evonomical life?

Life is nicer, when phones, cars and other personal stuff are selected based on need, not based on image in your head what you want it to be or present. You don't get part of big boss' soul (and even if you did, it would be very, very, very small part without veto right).

😉

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm still a bit confused/troubled/worried about someone being a fan. Supporting a company or a brand, not necessarily for what it is, but maybe for what those persons believe it should be?
Are fans the preachers when things look good to them? Do fans swear in public to move away from fully X to fully Y when X does not play with them the way it should, and try to take as many as possible with them? Can fans mock bosses and call them with (racist) names, in public, when product line Z comes to the end of it's technological or evonomical life?

Life is nicer, when phones, cars and other personal stuff are selected based on need, not based on image in your head what you want it to be or present. You don't get part of big boss' soul (and even if you did, it would be very, very, very small part without veto right).

������

Nice post.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

??????

Are you me? My thoughts exactly.

Nice post.

Yup.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers