01-08-2019 03:29 PM
34 12
tools
    I am using windows phone since 20013 and I got use to with it. But unfortunately I lost my Lumia 550 phone few days back. I awaited till now with a hope that I might find the phone through "Find my phone" option. But nothing happened till now and I gave up and decided to purchase a new phone. Its about six years I was on Windows phone and I am not interested to try a phone with new OS. Still there are some stocks of some windows phone in my country, but question here is about the best option. Now
    1) Should I buy a new windows phone? or,
    2) If answer of Q 1 is "no" then is there any other options available? or,
    3) If Q 2 is still "no" then should I wait a little bit with a hope that Microsoft will release a new mobile device or a device similar to it? or,
    4) If again no - then which Android phone will be the best option for me? (My budget is below USD 150, and is little bit concern about privacy as Android is an open source platform)
    5) If the answer of Q 1 is yes then please inform me which phone will be the best option in the stock of windows phone at this moment based on my budget stated above.
    Waiting for an honest answer...
    12-10-2018 02:01 PM
    Dan will probably tell you to jump ship ASAP! the rumors of MS releasing another mobile device are well... just that. Rumors.

At this point I would say if you're still looking for a windows phone, get the 950 (XL)/Elite x3/Idol/550/640XL.

Anything else probably doesn't have support. Keep in mind that official support will end somewhere in 2019. Don't buy any of these phones as new (this is probably not even applicable since they're not being manufactured anymore, but I wanted to specifically mention it). Try to find a deal somewhere/a decent second-hand unit.
    12-10-2018 05:38 PM
    Acknowledged. Thanks ven07.
    12-11-2018 02:37 AM
    Did MS ever officially say they were killing WP? And announce when the actually EOS is?

Thanks,

Mr. V
    12-11-2018 10:14 AM
    Did MS ever officially say they were killing WP? And announce when the actually EOS is?

Thanks,

Mr. V
    The Product Lifecycle page has the dates. T-minus 365 days for 1709...

To the OP, if you are interested in buying a still-supported phone (950, 950XL, x3, etc.), I respectfully disagree with Ven. New phones can still be easily found on eBay and they're not much more than used. I'm not a fan of buying used sight unseen, in general. Who knows what shape it's really in, especially the battery. The 950's batteries are replaceable and they can still be found online so if you go used, I suggest one with a replaceable battery as any phone 2+ years old is probably in need of a new one.
    ven07 and anthonyng like this.
    12-11-2018 04:26 PM
    The Product Lifecycle page has the dates. T-minus 365 days for 1709...

To the OP, if you are interested in buying a still-supported phone (950, 950XL, x3, etc.), I respectfully disagree with Ven. New phones can still be easily found on eBay and they're not much more than used. I'm not a fan of buying used sight unseen, in general. Who knows what shape it's really in, especially the battery. The 950's batteries are replaceable and they can still be found online so if you go used, I suggest one with a replaceable battery as any phone 2+ years old is probably in need of a new one.
    Ven is outraged by this! Kidding :D I honestly didn't know 'new' phones were still floating around, but I guess it would make sense since there were a lot of BOGO sales back in the day.

I thought I read somewhere that one company would still make new phones? or at the very least slap their logo on existing phones?
    ochhanz likes this.
    12-11-2018 09:05 PM
    May be purchasing a new WP would not be a good option but waiting for a discount can be preferable.

By the way, if the mainstream support once stopped, then what exactly will happen with the phone? Maybe I will not be able to use the Store but what about installed apps? or the updates? and about privacy as well???
    12-12-2018 01:48 AM
    I would suggest spend as little as possible and only buy the following:

L950 XL
    L950
    Elite X3

The other phones such as HTC W8 are not widely available and not widely supported.

The above three in the list still get updates and still useable but the resale value is down the toilet. You can get the L950 for £50 if you know where to look.

So I would suggest to keep the following in mind:

L950: Max £100

L950XL: Max £130

Elite X3: Max £200

These three also represent the best value for money at this price range in terms of specs. As an example, you can still get the L930 for £50 but it's worth in reality no more than £30 due to age and inability to go beyond the anniversary update.

Therefore Ebay is your best bet currently.

Of course you can root the phones using WP Internals but you do so at your own risk.
    ven07 likes this.
    12-12-2018 07:06 AM
    Thanks TechFreak1. Can you elaborate the last line please.
    12-12-2018 08:13 AM
    You can root it and install a compatible rom that can be updated to the creators update. But you need to be weary of the issue with radio firmware and plus there is a high risk of bricking the phone.
    12-12-2018 08:30 AM
    Acknowledged
    12-12-2018 09:07 AM
    To be safe, just go with either the 950XL or Elite X3 as they are. As said, they will be cheap now to buy.
    TechFreak1 and aximtreo like this.
    12-12-2018 09:07 AM
    To be safe, just go with either the 950XL or Elite X3 as they are. As said, they will be cheap now to buy.
    I Agree.

I mentioned the possibility of rooting the phones for those who are not in a position to buy another phone but want to update their phone to the latest version of W10M.
    ven07 likes this.
    12-12-2018 09:18 AM
    I bought a L950 this october to replace my L930. I hope when the moment to change that phone come, the Andrómeda device will be aviable.
    12-12-2018 09:21 AM
    I Agree.

I mentioned the possibility of rooting the phones for those who are not in a position to buy another phone but want to update their phone to the latest version of W10M.
    I really liked my Elite X3 when I had it. I was sad to be forced to move

I bought a L950 this october to replace my L930. I hope when the moment to change that phone come, the Andrómeda device will be aviable.
    It may be available, it may not be. The main question would be, are people buying it if they can? Or is it just another product rushed out the door half-baked and later to be quietly killed off?
    ven07 likes this.
    12-12-2018 09:56 AM
    It may be available, it may not be. The main question would be, are people buying it if they can? Or is it just another product rushed out the door half-baked and later to be quietly killed off?
    , I think this really depends on whether it is a full Windows 10 or a limited version (RT, WP etc).
    If it is full than Microsoft can really only kill it if they remove critical/telephone native features and such (I mean if they have been implemented and Andromeda is released) or somehow UWP etc dies and translation is very buggy on the proc/system. I don't see both really happen, but you never know of course.
    If it will be a limited or other version of Windows, than I would be very wary in buying it.

@RiasadAlvi, if you can buy a Lumia 950 XL for e.g. 100 bucks or less and you don't need good battery life, than it is a good deal.
    12-12-2018 10:49 AM
    Waiting for that good deal but not available so far....
    12-12-2018 12:32 PM
    12-12-2018 12:36 PM
    I actually don't have any interest in Androids because of its privacy, sometimes pretty annoying as it is indeed a open platform and indeed using WP since 2013 so I got use to with it. Iphone is expensive but WP has a unique sense and if Microsoft could handle the project nicely then I think it could gain some market share, keeping in mind about the budget, like there should be expensive as well as cheap phones in the market so that everyone could effort it.

If there is no viable option, then maybe I will start using Android, now using a Nokia 1700!!!!!!!!!!
    12-12-2018 12:43 PM
    But so far I could realize that purchasing L950XL or X3 is taking a risk in your hand. I don't know whether Andromeda project exists or not but that device might be expensive if released.
    12-12-2018 12:47 PM
    I'm still buying... Lost my 950xl, would like to replace it, using an X3. It's not like things will suddenly just stop working and you can't even make calls anymore.

It'll be more like, I need to so something and I can't.
    12-12-2018 05:49 PM
    Unfortunately HP is not available in my country and purchasing it from a foreign will lead me to give a huge custom before receiving it from the customs office. And my budget is not that much
    12-13-2018 04:55 AM
    , I think this really depends on whether it is a full Windows 10 or a limited version (RT, WP etc).
    If it is full than Microsoft can really only kill it if they remove critical/telephone native features and such (I mean if they have been implemented and Andromeda is released) or somehow UWP etc dies and translation is very buggy on the proc/system. I don't see both really happen, but you never know of course.
    If it will be a limited or other version of Windows, than I would be very wary in buying it.

@RiasadAlvi, if you can buy a Lumia 950 XL for e.g. 100 bucks or less and you don't need good battery life, than it is a good deal.
    I don't think it will succeed, even if running full Windows, sadly. The reason being that people still separate their computer from their phone. Meaning that that if they want a laptop device that runs everything, they will also expect it to run the same Snapchat, Facebook, Pokemon Go apps too. They won't care that it has full Windows because full Windows doesn't power the phone apps they are used to using every day.
    12-14-2018 09:10 AM
    After thinking a lot, and reviewing your opinions and other telecasted news on WP, I decided not to go for Windows phone (though it was indeed hard for me to retreat my decision of not handling such a unique device like WP). So I want to know your preferences of getting a new device. Iphone is simply untouchable, so android is the only option. My budget is below USD 150. However, I do prefer Motorola E4 Plus which is like around USD 144 in my country.

Give your opinion if you have any. Earnestly waiting for that.
    12-22-2018 04:48 AM
    After thinking a lot, and reviewing your opinions and other telecasted news on WP, I decided not to go for Windows phone (though it was indeed hard for me to retreat my decision of not handling such a unique device like WP). So I want to know your preferences of getting a new device. Iphone is simply untouchable, so android is the only option. My budget is below USD 150. However, I do prefer Motorola E4 Plus which is like around USD 144 in my country.

Give your opinion if you have any. Earnestly waiting for that.
    , keep in mind though that motorola is now owned by Lenovo (chinese), so do not expect many updates. That being said, there are quite cheap spec wise. Personally I think Nokia has some nice options since they are more balanced with fast updates (e.g. try a midrange Nokia from a half year old).

I don't think it will succeed, even if running full Windows, sadly. The reason being that people still separate their computer from their phone. Meaning that that if they want a laptop device that runs everything, they will also expect it to run the same Snapchat, Facebook, Pokemon Go apps too. They won't care that it has full Windows because full Windows doesn't power the phone apps they are used to using every day.
    , I think they should release it as a premium device only so only powerusers would buy it. Than devs get the time to develop apps for it and than if there are more apps they can release cheaper versions of Andromeda as well.
    12-22-2018 06:29 AM
34 12