Is it bad that many people "hate" Microsoft, or is it OK because they still make money?

rodneyej

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I would say over 70% of readers here have a negative view (of some sort) about Microsoft. Is that an issue MS should be concerned with, or is it OK for people to "hate" Microsoft’s because they continue to profit?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is it bad that many people "hate" Microsoft, or is it OK because they still make money?

Something to consider is that most people aren't aware of any OS options beyond Windows and MacOS. Most people would probably be ok with either a Chromebook, or some kind of Linux distro, but if they don't know about it, they will stick with what they know.

Sometimes, there is just an OS conflict. My ex-girlfriend took an older laptop off my hands a while back. I installed Linux Mint on it, and for a while, it worked fine. She asked me to put Windows on it, because she needs to use a program that just doesn not play with Linux at all. She might represent a situation that a lot of people are in; they may want to leave MS, but can't due to <insert program here> doesn't work outside of Windows, and a Mac may be out of the question.

As to answer your question....I don't think MS is going to care about it. How many of that 70% figure is going to research an alternative, and go through with it?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Re: Is it bad that many people "hate" Microsoft, or is it OK because they still make money?

I would say over 70% of readers here have a negative view (of some sort) about Microsoft. Is that an issue MS should be concerned with, or is it OK for people to "hate" Microsoft’s because they continue to profit?
, probably to many trolls on this forum than xD .
On a more serious note, I think Microsoft is also company easy to bash because who hasn't had annoying issues with e.g. Excel or bluescreens or such? While not nearly everyone has had such a history with e.g. macbooks (because it is less used and because it is a closed platform / less potential problems with oems/devices etc).
So I personally think Microsoft gets some undeserved hate because of their history and mistakes in the past and because of how complex Windows is with all the legacy support, but on the bright side it did e.g. force them to add more privacy settings to Windows 10 so that is nice.

Also I think it is good to have a critical view to big companies like Microsoft, Apple and Google etc. If you don't keep those companies in check as a society, I think those companies get too much power and it will have bad consequences for users (walled gardens, privacy/data issues, bad service etc).

That all being said, I hope Windows on Arm will get enough love so UWP makes a chance again and Microsoft will find it interesting enough to improve tablet mode and release WoA for phones etc.

rodneyej

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site

OK.. Well, can MS survive in the future with a low consumer perception, and presence?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site

WOA for phones. That's interesting. What do you mean by that?
, well considering Windows 10 can somewhat run on e.g. a Lumia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYGL_FwAWtY), I figure it is also possible on Android phones (as long as the Snapdragon proc is compatible with WoA, like 835 or 845(?)). At the moment it probably does not run that well, probably missing drivers / buggy etc.
But if pc's will be released with qualcomm procs, I figure Microsoft will also release a WoA iso/rom so we can install it on other devices with those qualcomm procs (possible including Android phones).
Perhaps we will even see phones with WoA already on it in the stores (e.g. by some Chinese vendor or such).
Perhaps Microsoft will add telephone features to Windows 10 and improve tablet mode, or perhaps not. But whatever the case, stuff like GestureSign shows that the community could possible fill in that role. As long it is feasable to install Windows 10 on phones without to much effort, I think there will be people willing to try to improve the experience (myself included :) ). I also think it would be good for UWP and the Store (both need phone devices to make more sense).
My personal guess is that something like this will be possible within a few years (or perhaps earlier, considering qualcomm is developing desktop procs for WoA).

ps: iirc Microsoft also announced a while back that were working more with WhatsApp to bring an (updated) app to Windows 10. The caveat here is that this will require an android or ios phone linked to the windows device. Just like Your Phone. But what if you link something like a 2.45-4 inch android or 4 inch ios phone to it that basically just acts as a relay for your windows phone device? You should be able to take calls, send messages etc on your windows device while carrying an extra 2-4 inch device (which should not be that big of a problem since 2-4 inch is tiny anyway). Of course this is not something for the masses but might be an interesting solution for windows fans etc.

Last edited:

kwickone

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

Personally, I think much of the hate is legacy hate. I still (believe it or not) see people type out their name as Micro$osft with the dollar symbol. As if no other companies (Apple, Google, Amazon, etc) are not into making money. People hold grudges for a long time! Microsoft is a vastly different company than it was back in the day, when these haters formed their opinions. At least, that is my take.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

It was only 5 years ago that Microsoft was beating Apple in most trusted brands. And that was before reigniting the Xbox and Surface brand. I don't think it's so much the consumers fault that there's so much Microsoft hate. I think most of it is legacy hate from long time tech enthusiasts, IT professionals, and from blogger sites that have never forgiven Microsoft from one mishap or another. And every single mistake they make from here on out only adds to that person's previous hatred. I still see people hating on Internet Explorer back during the Bill Gates days, which was forever ago.

And there is a certain objectivity that is lost when 'Company X' can make several mistakes and not get the same level of hate that Microsoft does. A more recent a sample of this; everyone knows Google is trying to collect as much data on you as often as they can. And major tech sites seemingly never care. Yet when it was revealed that Windows 10 was collecting even the tiniest bit of data suddenly it became a 911 fire.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Microsoft is infallible, or that they won't make mistakes that are worth criticizing. But right now there is a massive FaceTime bug and tech sites are (rightfully) telling you to turn the feature off. And to make matters worse, news recently came out that Apple knew about this bug for almost a week and sat on it. But it's almost guaranteed that sites won't change how they cover Apple products. Even when iPad Pros are coming out of the box already bent, you can still expect glowing reviews and recommendations.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills