These days, I keep wondering what the hell is going on over at Microsoft? They really seem to be totally ignoring the typical consumers (of which millions are running Windows). The only consumer product over there, other than windows, that seems to be semi-successful is Xbox. They seem to be so focused on Azure, they are almost completely ignoring the consumer market. (I'm ok with a focus on Azure, I'm a developer and the company I work for has gone all in on Azure).

First it was windows on phones, they were making great progress in my opinion, but then they bought Nokia and killed everything. Then went the music subscription service. Then the Microsoft Band bit the dust (I loved my Band 2). I enjoy renting movies through the micorosoft store (I use my rewards points usually), but I can't watch them on my Android phone. Cortana was making progress with the HK Invoke and the GLAS thermostat, but now the multi-user feature of the HK Invoke has been removed and Cortana development seems to have ground to a halt. Even development of the Office suite seems to be practically dead.

Now we hear that the Windows 10 releases this year are really just changing things up under the hood, and there will be no significant features. In fact, I used to run insider releases on my laptop, but with the 19H1 releases they could NOT be installed on my HP Spectre x360 - every install freezes at some point, and rebooting causes a rollback. I hear reports that this also happens to a number of Dell laptops. Despite much feedback sent, and some direct communication with Microsoft about the problem, there has never been a resolution.

The biggest nail in the coffin to me was the latest update to Outlook on Android - I used it to get my personal email and my corporate email (via Office 365). It notifies me when I get new email from work, but refuses to display any new emails. Removing the account and re-adding it gets new messages then, but after that no more syncing.

For a company with a huge group of developers, progress on anything but Azure just seems to have come to a complete halt this year. And I'm guessing I'm not the only consumer that is getting entirely annoyed by this. I know Azure is brining in a lot of money, but good consumer products with a little marketing and better availability should be a big priority. So why the seeming complete drop the consumer product market?
    03-01-2019 08:44 AM
    So why the seeming complete drop the consumer product market?
    My guess is they are resting on their laurels. How many people realize there are options to OS other than MacOS and Windows? Probably 5% of the entire population? MS still has a big marketshare, and they are just betting that people won't switch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's right; just that is probably the way things are. I am a gamer, and I would probably be running a different OS if more games on Steam played well with Linux or SteamOS (most of mine don't).
    aximtreo and ven07 like this.
    03-01-2019 09:04 AM
    I believe there is a BIG transition of technology going on and the people with bigger brains than mine are working diligently behind the scenes getting ready for the inevitable - like going from fosile fuel to electric, manually driving to full automation. I would applaud any company that would: direct through manipulation; imply through lack of choice; or say, "don't invest alot of money on that fossil powered vehcile, but wait, and make due with what you have the best you can... and next year you can buy a fully automated, fully supported, fully economical, fully electical/solor/pedal/whatever flying pod. As opposed to them saying "buy this soon-to-be-obsolete-product now, and wind up regretting the purchase the following year. Just my humble (and optimistic) opinion.
    03-01-2019 09:27 PM
    I'll use my employer as an example and how the lack of consumer products is impacting IT decisions. First, iPhone is the only choice for company provided phones. In fact most of my coworkers carry two iphones one for work and one for personal. 10 to 15 years ago my company provided Palm, Blackberry, Windows and flip phones. Second, all company issued tablets are now iPads and IT has stopped issuing Windows tablets, including Surface, because of deployment difficulties and other issues. ipad deployment at our company is significant. Each plant has dozens that are used by operators, QC technicians, shipping, etc. Most of our sales agents carry an iphone and ipad. Lastly, I've seen a few Macs deployed at the corporate level for content creators. I'm seeing more and more ipads being used by retailers and restaurants. It's rate to see a windows based device. I think Apples strength in consumer markets is helping Apple gain traction with small businesses and corporations.
    ven07 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-01-2019 11:53 PM