Windows Phone printing any time soon?

ahalowell

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

So will we be able to print from our Windows phone any time soon? (sorta like the iPhone already does...?)

Thanx,
Al

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Technically, there are some apps that can do that, I believe, but there is no rumors regarding native printing support, so any speculation at this point is just semi-educated-at-best-guesses.

The way iPhone does printing is through the special AirPrint stuff which required a specific compatible printer, but its something. So its sorta printing.

My guess is that it'll be a while. couple years?
Needless to say, outside of the supposed merge between Windows and WP, I dont think we can expect full-on USB, Wi-Fi everything printing.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Technically, there are some apps that can do that, I believe, but there is no rumors regarding native printing support, so any speculation at this point is just semi-educated-at-best-guesses.

The way iPhone does printing is through the special AirPrint stuff which required a specific compatible printer, but its something. So its sorta printing.

My guess is that it'll be a while. couple years?
Needless to say, outside of the supposed merge between Windows and WP, I dont think we can expect full-on USB, Wi-Fi everything printing.

so no usb otg anytime soon as well?
btw are there any apps from companies like canon and HP to print to their respective printers?or even any third party ones

ahalowell

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, that pretty much ends my interest in the Windowsphone as an ongoing platform. I guess I'll go back to the iPhone when the bigger device arrives.

Al

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
so no usb otg anytime soon as well?
btw are there any apps from companies like canon and HP to print to their respective printers?or even any third party ones
Last time I looked, a lot of HP's printers had an email-to-print function. The printer needs an always-on internet connection, you register it and then email it any docs you want printing. Your file goes through the HP cloud (may be a privacy concern?) and is then sent as a print job to the printer.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Last time I looked, a lot of HP's printers had an email-to-print function. The printer needs an always-on internet connection, you register it and then email it any docs you want printing. Your file goes through the HP cloud (may be a privacy concern?) and is then sent as a print job to the printer.

ohh thats also nice i have a canon MG3100 at home and an HP Officejet in my office
wish canon had something like that,itd be nifty

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
or get an ipad to supplement your windows phone
thats what i did-lumia 720 and ipad as my daily devices

Point is you shouldn't need anything to "supplement" your phone in order to print. Who wants to carry around an extra piece of hardware (especially something as large as a tablet) just to be able to print? For an enterprise focused company this seems a pretty essential thing to omit. One would think there would be at least a basic service similar to Cloud Print which allows me to print any of my documents from Google Docs or Google Drive available for Office. I find it a bit maddening that I can print to any printer in my house from all my Android devices but not my Windows Phone.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
And in all fairness, it also kind of makes me scratch my head when people ask these kind of questions when they've already purchased a Windows Phone. If folks did their research ahead of time they'd know what they're getting into rather than coming in here all angry and indignant when they find out that "Feature X" isn't available a few weeks or months after the fact.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Point is you shouldn't need anything to "supplement" your phone in order to print. Who wants to carry around an extra piece of hardware (especially something as large as a tablet) just to be able to print? For an enterprise focused company this seems a pretty essential thing to omit. One would think there would be at least a basic service similar to Cloud Print which allows me to print any of my documents from Google Docs or Google Drive available for Office. I find it a bit maddening that I can print to any printer in my house from all my Android devices but not my Windows Phone.

thats true,i carry my ipad everywhere for work and studies etc so it doesnt affect me at the moment but id love a iprint like feature in WP as well

ahalowell

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I was stupid. I ASSUMED that printing was built-in just like the iPhone I used previously. I never imagined not being able to print. it is a basic function and it is available on the other two operating systems in the marketplace.

I have to email my docs to my Windows tablet to print it. Amazing that the Windows tablet can print but the Windows phone cannot!!!

Al

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I was stupid. I ASSUMED that printing was built-in just like the iPhone I used previously. I never imagined not being able to print. it is a basic function and it is available on the other two operating systems in the marketplace.

I have to email my docs to my Windows tablet to print it. Amazing that the Windows tablet can print but the Windows phone cannot!!!

Al

A basic function that was just introduced natively last year, yet still proprietary and would be useless for me since nowhere at home, school, or work is there a printer that supports AirPrint, for the iPhone you seem to love so much?

ahalowell

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
A basic function that was just introduced natively last year, yet still proprietary and would be useless for me since nowhere at home, school, or work is there a printer that supports AirPrint, for the iPhone you seem to love so much?

interesting since I printed from my iPhone 3, 4, & 5 from the time I got the 3.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo