Flash Transfer needed for Windows Phone 8.1

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Take a look at this link -
Here

Wi-Fi Direct uses the same silicon

Manufacturers don't need to add extra radios to their kit: the idea is to have Wi-Fi Direct as part of the standard Wi-Fi radio. It's backwards compatible too, so you don't need to throw out your old Wi-Fi-enabled kit.

The Wi-Fi alliance currently claims that more than 1,100 devices have been certified since October 2010, including televisions, smartphones, printers, PCs and tablets.

If I didn't get this the wrong way, WiFi direct is backwards compatible. Which means, any phone which has the latest WiFi standard should automatically support WiFi direct.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Take a look at this link -
Here

If I didn't get this the wrong way, WiFi direct is backwards compatible. Which means, any phone which has the latest WiFi standard should automatically support WiFi direct.

I thought this too but, doing a search on the Wi-Fi Alliance website for WFD enabled phones, shows that its not all devices.

Say you do a search for Nokia. It list the 630, 635 and 930 as the only three WFD enabled...

http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-direct

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I was able to find all the phones in the list. I just had to search Nokia. Every single Lumia is listed there, including Nokia X, XL etc.

Certified Products Search Results | Wi-Fi Alliance

Awesome. Wonder why it only listed the 3 when I searched. Either way, that's good news and I do have the WFD Class saved so I can look at I some more and hopefully understand WTH it all means. Might be worthy of an app. :)

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Awesome. Wonder why it only listed the 3 when I searched. Either way, that's good news and I do have the WFD Class saved so I can look at I some more and hopefully understand WTH it all means. Might be worthy of an app. :)

Great! Looking forward to it. Good luck!

Aalok05

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Actually after reading quite a bit on this topic , I have known that for flash transfer or 'wifi direct' a chip is required inside the phone which micromax first put in its android phone and the feature was is called ' swipe n share ' ...and as i have witnessed in my android friend's phone ...the transfer is very fast even for large files

sagar_25

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Dear friends the flash transfer app no longer works in android with kitkat update! Or any other similar apps like that, and instead of asking a third party to develop a app, ask for the wifi direct feature in Windowsphoneuservoice.com

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Dear friends the flash transfer app no longer works in android with kitkat update! Or any other similar apps like that, and instead of asking a third party to develop a app, ask for the wifi direct feature in Windowsphoneuservoice.com

From what I've read, it appears that it will more than likely be included in the OS but, lets be honest, uservoice is great and all but you can't always expect the manufacturers to do everything for you. Third party is what makes ALL Operating Systems thrive.

imabhilash

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
thank you Everyone,

being a WP 8.1 user, I always want all stuff in my phone which will make my life easy nothing else and that's what I did....

Krishanu Khatri

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah...wp doesnt have it now...
But i have figured out a way to transfer large files at best speed thru wifi...
But for this u need to download http server and client app.

I m using this feature to view all HD videos stored in my HDD on PC which is running http server

If u want i can giv u the links fir server n client

imabhilash

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah...wp doesnt have it now...
But i have figured out a way to transfer large files at best speed thru wifi...
But for this u need to download http server and client app.

I m using this feature to view all HD videos stored in my HDD on PC which is running http server

If u want i can giv u the links fir server n client

it will be great if you share me the links; but i/we need app like "Flash" which will serve the purpose. it will be handy if we transfer things phone to phone :)

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

I've just tried the application, it works fine. 80mb in 15 seconds or so. android 4.4.3

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
i guess only the 630,930 and maybe some of the older flagships like the 1520 and the icon will support wifi direct properly going by the miracast enabled lumias
btw any idea if otg and wifi direct are present in the sdk?if so will it be supported by the 620,720,820 and 920 or only newer phones?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Don't know Flash Transfer!
:shocked:
You're the first person I've met that doesn't know Flash Transfer!
It is a wifi tranfer application created by micromax, for android.

Didn't they recently announce they were releasing WP8.1 handsets? What's the betting they have that as an exclusive app.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Didn't they recently announce they were releasing WP8.1 handsets? What's the betting they have that as an exclusive app.

micromax makes very half baked products worse than most other companies believe me
they are cheap but have poor build and after sales,worse than samsung in fact
i wouldnt expect them to make a decent app for WP

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
i guess only the 630,930 and maybe some of the older flagships like the 1520 and the icon will support wifi direct properly going by the miracast enabled lumias
btw any idea if otg and wifi direct are present in the sdk?if so will it be supported by the 620,720,820 and 920 or only newer phones?

I've looked at the SDK and no, its supported on all phones running WP8.1, at least so far that's what I've dug into.

-----------------

For those interested. I have gone through the SDK and actually found a sample from Microsoft for Windows 8.1 and copying it over to a WP8.1 project and so far no issues. Will have to wait for wife to come home tonight with her phone and see if I can get a working demo going. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs