10-02-2014 03:50 PM
79 1234
tools
    I'm little bit confused b/w android and windows phone? Because everytime i ask to someone for suggestion they always suggest me to choose android... Thats why suggest me better phone for me upto or below $300..... It can be from HP slate6 voice tab or samsung grand 2 or nokia L1320 or any other also if you know something better..?
    because most people own android, and ate familiar with it. the constant reviews showing a lack of applications, lack of developer interest, and lack of consumer interest support the fact that it isn't growing. if that were different, the people you asked would tell you differently
    06-22-2014 08:21 AM
    I still have love for Android... but I'm bored with it, and tired of it's general instability.

I found a real nice sweet spot with Gingerbread 2.3.4 and things were absolutely gravy. Of course I'd have a FC every blue moon, but there was very little to complain about otherwise. Then 4.0 comes out and breaks compatibility with Eternal Legacy, Sacred Odyssey and many of the other GL games I loved... I sucked it up and accepted that because 4.0.x/4.1.x had a lot to offer, but then the transition from 4.2.x to 4.3.x came with drastic new API changes that broke well over half the apps on the Google Play Store and sent the entire Android dev community into hiatus... and that's not even getting into how the *timely updates* for their "Google Play Edition" devices usually results in us being unpaid beta testers (and anyone who watched the 2012 N7 go from 'the best 7in tab ever' to 'completely goddamn unusable' knows exactly what I'm talking about)... needless to say, I can deal without all that bull****.

...and that really is the gist of Android; it's always some form of bull****... Windows Phone has less apps, but at the same time it's hard to find missing core experiences... and it's stable, while having a method of giving us a "widgets" equivalent that doesn't rape our battery life.

Personal bias aside, it's the most recommended because it did the same thing to Apple that Apple did to Blackberry. It started off initially behind the curve... now Android leads the pack. Despite what Apple and their hipster-ish Starbucks-infecting sheeple desperately want you to believe, Android beat iPhone in security, the Google Play Store has significantly more content than Apple's AppStore... and more people download Android's apps than in any other mobile ecosystem.
    Last edited by TLRtheory; 06-22-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    06-22-2014 08:27 AM
    Here's to help you simply:
    If you're on a budget, grab a WP. Windows Phone doesn't demand as much, so even if you have sub-par specs, it still is fast and has very little lag.

However, if not on a budget, get an Android. The high-end Android phones have great specs, and some are just beautiful to look at. Contrary to the belief here, Android has actually improved a lot to become a great OS. Android offers a lot of functionality - apps wise and freedom wise (you can configure it to how you want it). It's not laggy anymore (note here that I talk about high-end phones, not the low-end Android ones).

Ok so if you're on a budget, and I see that you are, get a WP. I recommend personally the 925, but that's in the US and you live in India, so get the 920. That phone just looks beautiful, and is well built. The 1320 sure is great, but for me looks non-premium (as its plastic). The 920 has metal on it, just looks premium and professional.
    06-22-2014 12:47 PM
    press and hold the back button to bring up a view of the running apps. You can terminate apps by pressing the 'x' or swiping the card down
    I do see a miniature window of the current app but I don't see any 'x' anywhere neither can I swipe down that miniature window. Am I doing it right?
    06-22-2014 01:21 PM
    I do see a miniature window of the current app but I don't see any 'x' anywhere neither can I swipe down that miniature window. Am I doing it right?
    what version of WP are you using?

WP 8 gdr3 brought the 'x' to close apps, and the WP 8.1 developer preview allows swiping down to close apps.
    06-22-2014 01:25 PM
    You know shortcuts to various setting options like wifi bt 'cellular data' 'rotation lock' etc. And by snapshots, i mean a quick way to check which apps are running and thus can be quickly terminated.
    press and hold back button and did you know 8.1 has a notification centre with wifi,bt,rotation lock etc
    06-22-2014 02:52 PM
    you might be using a really old version of windows phone,update and see, the features are present
    06-22-2014 02:53 PM
    WP 8.1 just seems simpler and more modern. Android's sea of little icons kinda of looks like Munchkin Land. The only app I miss is Time Warner Cable. myTube makes up for it, being the best YT app by far.
    06-22-2014 04:21 PM
    Lumia 822 has 1gb of ram, removable battery, and a microSD slot all for under 300$. I've had mine for almost 2 years. Works great!
    DJCBS likes this.
    06-22-2014 04:38 PM
    Lumia 822 has 1gb of ram, removable battery, and a microSD slot all for under 300$. I've had mine for almost 2 years. Works great!
    The Nokia L820 is indeed a great choice and the price is now quite low.

Android has some advantages but Android is NOT an OS you want running on budget phones with the exception of the Moto G and Moto X, I'd say. I would tell you you could try an One+ One which is a cheap flagship but it's easier to get an audience with the Pope than to get that phone it seems.
    06-22-2014 08:55 PM
    I always used Droid Phone, except for my first real Smartphone ( witch was a windows mobile ).
    I own now a L1320, and this is my second WP device, also own a L520.
    But i wanted something bigger for better reading and as a mediaplayer and navi.
    So i whent for the L1320.

It does everything i want or wat i need.
    And the more i learn about the ecosystem the more i love it.
    Everything else is just a toy...just kidding
    Just look at wat you need, not wat somebody else has or need.
    Its your future Phone.
    Droid is okay, bud has limited updates and a hell more issues ( just bing or google it ).
    Guytronic likes this.
    06-22-2014 10:09 PM
    Below $300.. But i think 925 is around $400...
    For 20000 get android especially galaxy grand 2 which retails for 18500 only in flipkart.you will love it.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    06-22-2014 10:54 PM
    My observations...

Over the past few months there has been a sharp rise in the quality apps being submitted to the Windows Phone store. In fact, in some markets (i.e. India), it seems Windows Phone is getting apps before Android (or even iOS). Not only that, but a number of these apps work on both WP and Windows 8.x/RT, if not genuinely universal. The notion that Windows Phone 'doesn't have the apps' is quickly dying, it truly is a matter of "when" and not "if", at least in most cases (there are exceptions, sadly). I've visited a number of start-ups and incubators in the Middle East and South Asia, and I can assure you, Windows and Windows Phone are on the roadmap for every one of the places I visited...either Day 1 release, or following Android/iOS shortly after.

In regards to OS features, it seems Microsoft's finally serious about taking user preferences and recommendations into confidence. Just look at the release of the File Manager and File Picker APIs, or the sudden push to make Cortana available in more markets in time for WP 8.1's official release, or to make more of Bing available outside of the U.S. It's finally clicking with them that the U.S isn't their prime market, but rather it is South Asia, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East and Africa. There's a trend where people in these markets prefer control and native features in their devices, and it seems Windows Phone is beginning align with that user paradigm. I would say it is a matter of time before WP and Android intercept, but in some cases (such as apps on the SD Card), it's already happened.

To be honest, if outside of North America, I'd recommend Windows Phone provided the user can access his or her bank on the device, which in many cases is already the case.
    06-22-2014 11:33 PM
    just i find very robust windows phone even in a lumia 520 and just i got tired of android just is very unstable in budget phones, i can agree the lack of applications but from all them that used in android just i used 0.001 percent of them, also the lack of applications i think is mostly because developers are too lazy or probably are not interested in learn how to make apps for this platform, also people see to Samsung like the similar of apple for smartphones, just they do not invented the wheel, just pushed to Android to be popular but just people have to Samsung like if were the iphone of the people who do not like the iphones , just very biased,
    06-22-2014 11:34 PM
    I'd recommend a Windows Phone over Android if you are heavily invested in the Microsoft ecosystem. Just like I'd recommend an Android phone if you are a Google ecosystem user. Otherwise, it should just be personal preference.
    06-23-2014 12:45 AM
    For 20000 get android especially galaxy grand 2 which retails for 18500 only in flipkart.you will love it.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    grand 2 is a terrible phone,most androids for below 20000 are bad
    especially samsung , who doesnt even give proper service and stuff
    avoid samsung like the plague in India
    they seem to think we are fools by giving us outdated models with issues whereas their phone seem to be of better quality in the US and UK
    06-23-2014 12:53 AM
    grand 2 is a terrible phone,most androids for below 20000 are bad
    especially samsung , who doesnt even give proper service and stuff
    avoid samsung like the plague in India
    they seem to think we are fools by giving us outdated models with issues whereas their phone seem to be of better quality in the US and UK
    Samsung is a terrible company to work with (has bad work ethics) as per many acquaintances. Even glassdoor reviews for Sisc or sil are pathetic.

No wonder the value for money on samsung phones is going down over time.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-23-2014 01:05 AM
    There are over 150'000 apps in the app store, and only a few dozen of them don't run on 512MB devices. AFAIK they are all games. Decide for yourself how important that is. Lumia 525 and 1320 both have 1GB of RAM.

I'd also vote for a 925 (not sure if affordable).
    Correct me If i am wrong.. the app count has reached 250,000+ i think!
    a5cent and Karthik Naik like this.
    06-23-2014 03:11 AM
    and its increasing day by day
    hope bbm for wp is decent unlike ios and android versions
    06-23-2014 05:20 AM
    I think you are right. I just didn't want to be wrong so I low balled it. Thanks for the correction!
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-23-2014 10:11 AM
    and its increasing day by day
    hope bbm for wp is decent unlike ios and android versions
    Never used Android! (And i am proud of it!)
    But i've heard that BBM's Android version is pretty good!
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-23-2014 10:45 AM
    I think you are right. I just didn't want to be wrong so I low balled it. Thanks for the correction!
    Anytime! ;)
    06-23-2014 10:46 AM
    Never used Android! (And i am proud of it!)
    But i've heard that BBM's Android version is pretty good!
    nah ive got a nexus 5 and an ipad with my old BBM accounts running on it
    nothing beats BBM on a BB for real, its faster than other ims and is better coded etc
    the ios/android versions are massively buggy
    i wish i never touched android,looking to opt out of android completely soon
    getting a z10 in a few days to replace the nexus 5 as my second phone
    06-23-2014 04:25 PM
    nah ive got a nexus 5 and an ipad with my old BBM accounts running on it
    nothing beats BBM on a BB for real, its faster than other ims and is better coded etc
    the ios/android versions are massively buggy
    i wish i never touched android,looking to opt out of android completely soon
    getting a z10 in a few days to replace the nexus 5 as my second phone
    Good to hear that! Lol!
    But we can only expect BBM to come soon without any frustrating bugs!
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-24-2014 03:16 AM
    Good to hear that! Lol!
    But we can only expect BBM to come soon without any frustrating bugs!
    yeah, a mobile duo which ruled before 2009 and even made their services available on each others platforms in the past-nokia and blackberry(E61 had access to BES) and all symbians had BBM pin as a field in contacts
    looking forward to BBM on WP
    06-24-2014 04:40 AM
79 1234