10-02-2014 03:50 PM
79 ... 234
tools
    I'd recommend a Windows Phone over Android if you are heavily invested in the Microsoft ecosystem. Just like I'd recommend an Android phone if you are a Google ecosystem user. Otherwise, it should just be personal preference.
    This is the absolute biggest reason I went Windows Phone.

MacOS and Linux are worthless without Windows (Bootcamp, WINE) so I'd rather just cut out the middle man and use the OS that works with all my software.

Microsoft is the only one with a truly competent triple mode convertible (Surface Pro 3 is my laptop, tablet and desktop PC).

No other HTPC experience compares to seeing the beautiful start screen interface on the big screen. Being able to easily operate all those media apps on something that can easily turn into a Steam box with an air mouse or 360 controller just embarrasses your Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast and all others.

Then there's home gaming. I spent the longest time being bored to death with PS3 while being secretly jelly that we weren't getting key games like Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, and L4D before I made the switch.

... getting a Windows Phone was just the natural next step.
    Last edited by TLRtheory; 06-25-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    Karthik Naik and BobLobIaw like this.
    06-24-2014 07:29 AM
    I don't have an issue with Android specifically, although on low end hardware it is unresponsive enough to be annoying.

What I don't like is that Android (apart from AOSP) is an extension of the Google ecosystem, and it is that I don't like (or trust).

Google's business model is to use your Google account to track what you do, to profile you and then to target adverts at you. That's it. Try using an Android phone without a Google account, only the basics will work.

Added to that concern is that Google Play is not "curated" (apps are not checked before being published, there is just an automated malware check that is so easy to circumvent it's useless). You have not idea whether any apps you download are trustworthy or not.

Because of this, I don't trust Android and won't be getting any devices based on it any time soon...

Sent from my Lumia 630 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AndyM72; 06-24-2014 at 09:19 AM.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-24-2014 08:47 AM
    This is the absolute biggest reason I went Windows Phone.

Mac and Linux are worthless without a Windows virtualization layer.

Microsoft is the only one with a truly competent triple mode convertible (Surface Pro 3 is my laptop, tablet and desktop PC).

No other HTPC experience compares to seeing the beautiful start screen interface on the big screen. Being able to easily operate all those media apps on something that can easily turn into a Steam box with an air mouse or 360 controller just embarrasses your Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast and all others.

Then there's home gaming. I spent the longest time being bored to death with PS3 while being secretly jelly that we weren't getting key games like Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, and L4D before I made the switch.

... getting a Windows Phone was just the natural next step.
    virtualization layer, for, what ?

vlc , wireless mouse and keyboard - OK, its a htpc, without the clunky interface
    06-25-2014 12:31 AM
    I just recently tried out Android and thought it was the ugliest most unimaginative piece of software I've used in a long time. I was literally bored to tears using it. I totally missed the beauty and ease of use of WP. Using android made me realize that apps aren't everything.
    10-02-2014 03:50 PM
79 ... 234