Why Windows Phone not Android?

IrelandCeltic

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I second (or third?) the Lumia 920.

I was looking for a new phone in January, and went for the Lumia 920; got it for €260.
It can be got for around €300 on Amazon now as far as I know; and to me, its a better phone to the 925. Thats, to me anyway, just because it looks nicer :)

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Atul you can get a mint condition unlocked 8X for about $135. Get a mint 810 or 822 which have removable battery and SD card support for about $110 . These can be found unlocked on eBay or the marketplace. Unlocked 928 run about $200 and 925 run about $170 or so.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about price over there. But last time I visit my retailer. 920 it's about 3.500.000 IDR (1US$ about 12.000 IDR) retail price unlocked the phone all yours and abou 1 years warranty from nokia

Well all my phone are retail one here so all unlocked. Maybe it's good idea to visit jakarta to brought retail phone if you can get cheap plane ticket. (just condiser you take a trip lol)

cuek80

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
One thing I hated most about Android is the fact that you need to root your phone and flash different roms to make it optimized.

and here I thought to be able to root it to optimize it, is a good thing, since other phones cant be rooted, and we are forced to do it their way.
i have 625.. it has 512mb.. no problem with running apps, but take note that you will have to wait a bit longer for some app to load. once launched though, it run smooth. this also happen when switching apps. I suggest to buy higher display resolution though.

Ajju711

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Putting my two cents of what I like about wp that was not available in android jelly bean last time i used it are:
1. A real native dark background which is totally integrated
2. A really smooth experience unlike Android which at times had a few hiccups

On the other hand android had a lot of shortcuts and it was multitasking so one could see a snapshot of the running apps.
Nonetheless its again up to you to see what you want.

Last edited:

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Putting my two cents of what I like about wp that was not available in android jelly bean last time i used it are:
1. A real native dark background which is totally integrated
2. A really smooth experience unlike Android which at times had a few hiccups

On the other hand android had a lot of shortcuts and it was multitasking so one could see a snapshot of the running apps.
Nonetheless its again up to you to see what you want.

you know there is a start screen for shorcuts and multitasking as well with snapshots

Ajju711

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
you know there is a start screen for shorcuts and multitasking as well with snapshots

You know shortcuts to various setting options like wifi bt 'cellular data' 'rotation lock' etc. And by snapshots, i mean a quick way to check which apps are running and thus can be quickly terminated.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
You know shortcuts to various setting options like wifi bt 'cellular data' 'rotation lock' etc. And by snapshots, i mean a quick way to check which apps are running and thus can be quickly terminated.

press and hold the back button to bring up a view of the running apps. You can terminate apps by pressing the 'x' or swiping the card down

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
go for 1320 unless camera doesn't matter too much to you, I'll recommend 820 for that purpose but again it'll be costly and you wont get that big HD screen. So yeah 1320!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm little bit confused b/w android and windows phone? Because everytime i ask to someone for suggestion they always suggest me to choose android... Thats why suggest me better phone for me upto or below $300..... It can be from HP slate6 voice tab or samsung grand 2 or nokia L1320 or any other also if you know something better..?

because most people own android, and ate familiar with it. the constant reviews showing a lack of applications, lack of developer interest, and lack of consumer interest support the fact that it isn't growing. if that were different, the people you asked would tell you differently

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I still have love for Android... but I'm bored with it, and tired of it's general instability.

I found a real nice sweet spot with Gingerbread 2.3.4 and things were absolutely gravy. Of course I'd have a FC every blue moon, but there was very little to complain about otherwise. Then 4.0 comes out and breaks compatibility with Eternal Legacy, Sacred Odyssey and many of the other GL games I loved... I sucked it up and accepted that because 4.0.x/4.1.x had a lot to offer, but then the transition from 4.2.x to 4.3.x came with drastic new API changes that broke well over half the apps on the Google Play Store and sent the entire Android dev community into hiatus... and that's not even getting into how the *timely updates* for their "Google Play Edition" devices usually results in us being unpaid beta testers (and anyone who watched the 2012 N7 go from 'the best 7in tab ever' to 'completely goddamn unusable' knows exactly what I'm talking about)... needless to say, I can deal without all that bull****.

...and that really is the gist of Android; it's always some form of bull****... Windows Phone has less apps, but at the same time it's hard to find missing core experiences... and it's stable, while having a method of giving us a "widgets" equivalent that doesn't rape our battery life.

Personal bias aside, it's the most recommended because it did the same thing to Apple that Apple did to Blackberry. It started off initially behind the curve... now Android leads the pack. Despite what Apple and their hipster-ish Starbucks-infecting sheeple desperately want you to believe, Android beat iPhone in security, the Google Play Store has significantly more content than Apple's AppStore... and more people download Android's apps than in any other mobile ecosystem.

Last edited:

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Here's to help you simply:
If you're on a budget, grab a WP. Windows Phone doesn't demand as much, so even if you have sub-par specs, it still is fast and has very little lag.

However, if not on a budget, get an Android. The high-end Android phones have great specs, and some are just beautiful to look at. Contrary to the belief here, Android has actually improved a lot to become a great OS. Android offers a lot of functionality - apps wise and freedom wise (you can configure it to how you want it). It's not laggy anymore (note here that I talk about high-end phones, not the low-end Android ones).

Ok so if you're on a budget, and I see that you are, get a WP. I recommend personally the 925, but that's in the US and you live in India, so get the 920. That phone just looks beautiful, and is well built. The 1320 sure is great, but for me looks non-premium (as its plastic). The 920 has metal on it, just looks premium and professional.

Ajju711

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
press and hold the back button to bring up a view of the running apps. You can terminate apps by pressing the 'x' or swiping the card down

I do see a miniature window of the current app but I don't see any 'x' anywhere neither can I swipe down that miniature window. Am I doing it right?

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I do see a miniature window of the current app but I don't see any 'x' anywhere neither can I swipe down that miniature window. Am I doing it right?

what version of WP are you using?

WP 8 gdr3 brought the 'x' to close apps, and the WP 8.1 developer preview allows swiping down to close apps.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

press and hold back button and did you know 8.1 has a notification centre with wifi,bt,rotation lock etc

Rad Matic

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
WP 8.1 just seems simpler and more modern. Android's sea of little icons kinda of looks like Munchkin Land. The only app I miss is Time Warner Cable. myTube makes up for it, being the best YT app by far.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 822 has 1gb of ram, removable battery, and a microSD slot all for under 300$. I've had mine for almost 2 years. Works great!

The Nokia L820 is indeed a great choice and the price is now quite low.

Android has some advantages but Android is NOT an OS you want running on budget phones with the exception of the Moto G and Moto X, I'd say. I would tell you you could try an One+ One which is a cheap flagship but it's easier to get an audience with the Pope than to get that phone it seems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss