Why Windows Phone not Android?

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I always used Droid Phone, except for my first real Smartphone ( witch was a windows mobile ).
I own now a L1320, and this is my second WP device, also own a L520.
But i wanted something bigger for better reading and as a mediaplayer and navi.
So i whent for the L1320.

It does everything i want or wat i need.
And the more i learn about the ecosystem the more i love it.
Everything else is just a toy...just kidding
Just look at wat you need, not wat somebody else has or need.
Its your future Phone.
Droid is okay, bud has limited updates and a hell more issues ( just bing or google it ).

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
My observations...

Over the past few months there has been a sharp rise in the quality apps being submitted to the Windows Phone store. In fact, in some markets (i.e. India), it seems Windows Phone is getting apps before Android (or even iOS). Not only that, but a number of these apps work on both WP and Windows 8.x/RT, if not genuinely universal. The notion that Windows Phone 'doesn't have the apps' is quickly dying, it truly is a matter of "when" and not "if", at least in most cases (there are exceptions, sadly). I've visited a number of start-ups and incubators in the Middle East and South Asia, and I can assure you, Windows and Windows Phone are on the roadmap for every one of the places I visited...either Day 1 release, or following Android/iOS shortly after.

In regards to OS features, it seems Microsoft's finally serious about taking user preferences and recommendations into confidence. Just look at the release of the File Manager and File Picker APIs, or the sudden push to make Cortana available in more markets in time for WP 8.1's official release, or to make more of Bing available outside of the U.S. It's finally clicking with them that the U.S isn't their prime market, but rather it is South Asia, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East and Africa. There's a trend where people in these markets prefer control and native features in their devices, and it seems Windows Phone is beginning align with that user paradigm. I would say it is a matter of time before WP and Android intercept, but in some cases (such as apps on the SD Card), it's already happened.

To be honest, if outside of North America, I'd recommend Windows Phone provided the user can access his or her bank on the device, which in many cases is already the case.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
just i find very robust windows phone even in a lumia 520 and just i got tired of android just is very unstable in budget phones, i can agree the lack of applications but from all them that used in android just i used 0.001 percent of them, also the lack of applications i think is mostly because developers are too lazy or probably are not interested in learn how to make apps for this platform, also people see to Samsung like the similar of apple for smartphones, just they do not invented the wheel, just pushed to Android to be popular but just people have to Samsung like if were the iphone of the people who do not like the iphones , just very biased,

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'd recommend a Windows Phone over Android if you are heavily invested in the Microsoft ecosystem. Just like I'd recommend an Android phone if you are a Google ecosystem user. Otherwise, it should just be personal preference.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
For 20000 get android especially galaxy grand 2 which retails for 18500 only in flipkart.you will love it.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

grand 2 is a terrible phone,most androids for below 20000 are bad
especially samsung , who doesnt even give proper service and stuff
avoid samsung like the plague in India
they seem to think we are fools by giving us outdated models with issues whereas their phone seem to be of better quality in the US and UK

Ajju711

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
grand 2 is a terrible phone,most androids for below 20000 are bad
especially samsung , who doesnt even give proper service and stuff
avoid samsung like the plague in India
they seem to think we are fools by giving us outdated models with issues whereas their phone seem to be of better quality in the US and UK

Samsung is a terrible company to work with (has bad work ethics) as per many acquaintances. Even glassdoor reviews for Sisc or sil are pathetic.

No wonder the value for money on samsung phones is going down over time.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
There are over 150'000 apps in the app store, and only a few dozen of them don't run on 512MB devices. AFAIK they are all games. Decide for yourself how important that is. Lumia 525 and 1320 both have 1GB of RAM.

I'd also vote for a 925 (not sure if affordable).

Correct me If i am wrong.. the app count has reached 250,000+ i think! :confused:

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Never used Android! (And i am proud of it!)
But i've heard that BBM's Android version is pretty good!

nah ive got a nexus 5 and an ipad with my old BBM accounts running on it
nothing beats BBM on a BB for real, its faster than other ims and is better coded etc
the ios/android versions are massively buggy
i wish i never touched android,looking to opt out of android completely soon
getting a z10 in a few days to replace the nexus 5 as my second phone

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
nah ive got a nexus 5 and an ipad with my old BBM accounts running on it
nothing beats BBM on a BB for real, its faster than other ims and is better coded etc
the ios/android versions are massively buggy
i wish i never touched android,looking to opt out of android completely soon
getting a z10 in a few days to replace the nexus 5 as my second phone

Good to hear that! Lol!
But we can only expect BBM to come soon without any frustrating bugs!

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Good to hear that! Lol!
But we can only expect BBM to come soon without any frustrating bugs!

yeah, a mobile duo which ruled before 2009 and even made their services available on each others platforms in the past-nokia and blackberry(E61 had access to BES) and all symbians had BBM pin as a field in contacts
looking forward to BBM on WP

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd recommend a Windows Phone over Android if you are heavily invested in the Microsoft ecosystem. Just like I'd recommend an Android phone if you are a Google ecosystem user. Otherwise, it should just be personal preference.
This is the absolute biggest reason I went Windows Phone.

MacOS and Linux are worthless without Windows (Bootcamp, WINE) so I'd rather just cut out the middle man and use the OS that works with all my software.

Microsoft is the only one with a truly competent triple mode convertible (Surface Pro 3 is my laptop, tablet and desktop PC).

No other HTPC experience compares to seeing the beautiful start screen interface on the big screen. Being able to easily operate all those media apps on something that can easily turn into a Steam box with an air mouse or 360 controller just embarrasses your Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast and all others.

Then there's home gaming. I spent the longest time being bored to death with PS3 while being secretly jelly that we weren't getting key games like Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, and L4D before I made the switch.

... getting a Windows Phone was just the natural next step.

Last edited:

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an issue with Android specifically, although on low end hardware it is unresponsive enough to be annoying.

What I don't like is that Android (apart from AOSP) is an extension of the Google ecosystem, and it is that I don't like (or trust).

Google's business model is to use your Google account to track what you do, to profile you and then to target adverts at you. That's it. Try using an Android phone without a Google account, only the basics will work.

Added to that concern is that Google Play is not "curated" (apps are not checked before being published, there is just an automated malware check that is so easy to circumvent it's useless). You have not idea whether any apps you download are trustworthy or not.

Because of this, I don't trust Android and won't be getting any devices based on it any time soon...

Sent from my Lumia 630 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
This is the absolute biggest reason I went Windows Phone.

Mac and Linux are worthless without a Windows virtualization layer.

Microsoft is the only one with a truly competent triple mode convertible (Surface Pro 3 is my laptop, tablet and desktop PC).

No other HTPC experience compares to seeing the beautiful start screen interface on the big screen. Being able to easily operate all those media apps on something that can easily turn into a Steam box with an air mouse or 360 controller just embarrasses your Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast and all others.

Then there's home gaming. I spent the longest time being bored to death with PS3 while being secretly jelly that we weren't getting key games like Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, and L4D before I made the switch.

... getting a Windows Phone was just the natural next step.

virtualization layer, for, what ?

vlc , wireless mouse and keyboard - OK, its a htpc, without the clunky interface

segasaturn

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I just recently tried out Android and thought it was the ugliest most unimaginative piece of software I've used in a long time. I was literally bored to tears using it. I totally missed the beauty and ease of use of WP. Using android made me realize that apps aren't everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney