Lumia 1320 jerky scrolling

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Honestly from your video I can't see if there really is any scrolling problems, it seems pretty smooth from the video at least.

I looked at it and it seemed very jerky to me. Scrolling does follow his finger, so lag might not be the correct term. To me it looks like it's dropping a frame every so often. As if scrolling regularly pauses for a fraction of a second at regular intervals. I think you can see this best by looking at the bottom/top screen edges in the video.

Would you agree with that description Sean?

I wonder if this could be vsync related for some reason?

Despite Adreno 305 not being a high end GPU it does power a lot of 720p displays pretty smoothly.

Take for example Galaxy Grand 2 or HTC Desire 816, these phones are run by Adreno 305 at 720p resolution.

Thanks for that info salmanahmad! I wasn't aware of those devices.

anon5658834

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I guess I agree it's as almost as if when you scroll the screen is shaking,wobbling. I have 4.11gb internal memory left,only two downloaded apps running on the background What's App and 6Tag. I don't want to block What's App as I won't get messages come through. Any apps I am using I don't have tons running at the same time I make sure I close them. As I say all else is fast and smooth but I want to know why it jerks when in Games menu which is Microsoft's own software and also when tilting from portrait to landscape in gallery it jerks again. So is it app related or not?? Cos the phones own internal software and apps kike Games and Gallery lag is not right

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I guess I agree it's as almost as if when you scroll the screen is shaking,wobbling. I have 4.11gb internal memory left,only two downloaded apps running on the background What's App and 6Tag. I don't want to block What's App as I won't get messages come through. Any apps I am using I don't have tons running at the same time I make sure I close them. As I say all else is fast and smooth but I want to know why it jerks when in Games menu which is Microsoft's own software and also when tilting from portrait to landscape in gallery it jerks again. So is it app related or not?? Cos the phones own internal software and apps kike Games and Gallery lag is not right

Both of those background tasks run for a few seconds every half hour, so they aren't really "running" in the background at all. Deactivating them makes no difference. Internal storage space is also completely irrelevant.

Why do you think my explanation doesn't equally apply to the games app and to the screen reorientation animation? I think it explains both of those just as it explains everything else you are seeing.

My guess right now would be that the GPU can't scroll those images across the 720p screen at 30 frames per second, causing it to occasionally drop a frame, which leads to the stuttering you are seeing. Without source code however, none of us can really be sure. All we can really do is guess.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Both of those background tasks run for a few seconds every half hour, so they aren't really "running" in the background at all. Deactivating them makes no difference. Internal storage space is also completely irrelevant.

Why do you think my explanation doesn't equally apply to the games app and to the screen reorientation animation? I think it explains both of those just as it explains everything else you are seeing.

My guess right now would be that the GPU can't scroll those images across the 720p screen at 30 frames per second, causing it to occasionally drop a frame, which leads to the stuttering you are seeing. Without source code however, none of us can really be sure. All we can really do is guess.

Actually background tasks and memory do matter.

On Windows Phone 8.1 apps like Whatsapp refresh every minute, instead of the old 30 minute refresh time however Windows Phone handles app in memory pretty well, so this isn't an issue.

Phone memory also contributes to performance but only when you have a tiny fraction of memory left, so this isn't an issue as well.

I wonder if you can debug apps on your PC to see what is causing the issues.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Just worked out what the problem is 😊 it's the app itself. If you press the 3 dots in the bottom right hand corner then select "open in browser" it will display this page in a different format and scrolls perfectly 😊

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Just worked out what the problem is 😊 it's the app itself. If you press the 3 dots in the bottom right hand corner then select "open in browser" it will display this page in a different format and scrolls perfectly 😊

Opening in Browser takes you to the Web version of the site your trying to access, sure it becomes smoother but you lose out on a lot of functionality and optimization.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I believe Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 should offer some performance improvements, which may fix this.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

anon5658834

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed today another stuttery issue. When I turn the device off and slide down the wallpaper that stutters too only slightly though. I have no stuttering in the browser

Abhishek Yadav1

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
well well my Lumia 1020 has same issues!!its like dropping a frame!it happens when I open settings>touch>change touch sensitivity.it happens when u try to log into instagram beta!it happens when u read articles in wpcentral app.it happens when in whatsapp I see the medias sent by a contact!!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720