Storage problem on my Lumia 920 with windows 8.1

gevo99g

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello, today I was going to through my phone just checking stuff out and I noticed in the storage sense had 2 categories called "temporary files" and "other"

wp_ss_20140706_0001.png

When I select it it tells me that I should use my computer to manage the files but when i connect it I can't find the files.
I was wondering if there is anything I can do about it.
I don't really care about the "temporary files" because its isn't taken up that much space, however "other" is taking up way more then I would like it to.

So if there is anything that I am not understanding please tell me and if there was another post I couldn't find it.

Thanks again.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Is that number still the same after it is done updating? I'm asking because on my 920, I went to storage sense after reading your post to see if, by chance, the numbers were identical (which might indicate some sort of system storage not identified as system). When I opened it, Other was at 49+ mb, but after it finished updating, it went to 0 mb.

I hooked up to my computer also but couldn't see anything that shouldn't be recognizable. What was also missing though were docs and PDFs I've downloaded to my computer through the Office app and some other PDFs I've downloaded from OneDrive for viewing. Everything viewable on my desktop was viewable in the new Files app on the phone itself, including an XML file that contains the phone's ID.

As for using too much space? Perspective here? You have 29,818.88 mb available to you and it's using 13.83... That's like .00005 %. Whatever that data might be, it would fit on 10 floppy disks (remember those?).

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I can say that whatever it is, it is probably dynamic as it is on my phone.

Rolyat Toust

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Like you mention your Other category is less than the "temporary files".

But maybe have a look there: "Other" phone storage FAQ for Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

On the other hand, I am more than surprised: on my Lumia 925 my system files take up to 6.84 GB (yes, no typo), and I have really no idea why: not that many apps installed, and I am still using Windows Phone 8. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
After reading your post, Rolyat, I checked storage sense... my 8.1 OS takes 3.24 GB (L920). Looking at gevo's screenshot above, his is taking up 2.57 GB.

Is it possible that different phones add/omit APIs and other files according to functionality/specs of the phone itself? I know there isn't that much difference between the 925 and the 920. Yours is a little thinner and lighter than mine and perhaps they use software to emulate hardware functions. I chose the 920 because it has the 32 GB of storage. If I were limited to 16 GB and the OS was hogging 6+ GB, I'd be livid.

When you get 8.1, I'm curious to hear whether the storage for OS drops. I've never paid too much attention because, even after a year, way more apps than I really need, 10 hours of music, and 3 workout videos... I'm only using 15.75 GB.

gevo99g

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I know its a small portion but I really wanted to know what it was because I thought it could be something potentially harmful.

I was using the 8.1 preview when I took the photo.

I did managed to fix the issue. I downloaded the file explore app from Microsoft and found that I had 5 pictures that were over 10 mb when other pictures were just 2-3 mb max. When I checked my camera roll I couldn't find those photos then I realized I deleted them months ago. So i deleted them using the files app and now other storage is 0 mb. I have no idea why that happened but it worked.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)