Need help for an RSS reader that meets several requirements

Luminara

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Some recent threads on the forum about RSS reader remind me that I may also get help from the WPC forum :)
I've been heavily using RSS readers for years but am yet to find one that fully address my personal needs.
Below is what I want from an RSS reader:
1) Keeps articles for at least three months without automatically marking them as "read" (the longer the better);
2) Keeps at least 1000 articles from each source (the more the better);
3) Ability to sync between my WP8.1 and the Windows 7 desktop in my workplace;
Among the RSS readers I've tried so far, Nextgen Reader only keeps the latest 2000 articles from all sources combined; Feedly, the web service, doesn't seem to have a limit on the amount of articles but only keeps articles no more than one month old; FeedDemon is a desktop program that keeps unlimited articles for unlimited time, but doesn't have cross-platform support; Netvibes Reader is the closest thing to my ideal option but only keeps 500 articles for each source (so as Netvibes, the web service).
Any suggestion? Thanks :love:!

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
three months....!
u r asking too much. why u need RSS reader, when u r not gonna read articles for 3 months?
basically RSS is for daily reading.
at least 1000 articles, that mean a heap of data. u really need to control ur requirements. r u going to go out of ur country for a long time, and keep ur phone at home?

anyway, ur search of apps is really nice from ur listed results. but i will still suggest u not to go for such huge data on ur phone.
another suggestion is, if it's possible to have subscription emails rather than RSS feeds from ur specific source, open an independent mail account, and use email system. it shall give u what u want.

Luminara

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
First I would like to thank you @ShreyansShah for the suggestions.
I use RSS reader for both academic purposes and casual reading. I receive ~300 academic articles every day, and I must browse every single one of them before marking them as "read". This is time consuming and when I am busy with projects I don't get to clear them in time. Thus the need to store quite some articles for a relatively long time.
Actually I'm by far not the only who find the one-month limitation of Feedly/Google Reader too short. I began to adopt Netvibes as my main RSS reader after I read someone talking about its support for articles older than one month.
Email subscription is not a good option since many of the sources don't offer the subscription option, and even for those who do, getting thousands of articles from dozens of sources is really the opposite of RSS (Really Simple and Stupid), isn't it:smile:

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
so much reading....!!!!
i thought i am a good reader, reading all those books and ebooks and articles and everything.
i feel so lost. i am very far from ur level of reading.
is reading ur job, or u get paid for that? i mean, out of my professional life and daily work, i cannot spare time for reading so much.

Luminara

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry the bad feeling :p I actually just browse every TITLE of everyone of the articles and the abstract of a small portion of them, and the ones really interesting will be saved for later but serious reading. It is the necessity to browse EVERY article that makes it not a casual work. I'm the opposite of a good reader :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes