Should I renew with Windows Phone?

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
From Australia and I have been offered by Optus to upgrade my phone. Been using 920 for quite a while. Was a Samsung Galaxy S and am currently a Asus TF201 Transformer Prime user. My wife has an Ipad and Iphone.

Been reading the WPCentral news for a while. Over the past 1.5 years or so, it looks like microsoft is heading the right direction in many ways but lately I have been reading so many complaints about the platform (xbox live on WP, lack of apps even after so long, lack of updates to official apps).

Should I continue to stick with WP? I like the OneNote, OneDrive, Here Maps and Drive. I can always outdo my wife in terms of getting the GPS to lock in and set me on the right direction while driving even though she has an iphone 5. I like the speed of the OS and the good camera function (at that time). I like the fact that if you leave wifi on and bluetooth on, your battery will still last the whole day whereas the iphone seems to be unable to match that. I like the fact that if you leave wifi on and mobile data on, when you leave wifi zone only then will the mobile data be activated......BUT will the platform progress in terms of apps quantity & app quality? I know the arguments about you don't need multiple flashlight apps and those, but overall we still lack and lag in getting good apps over. And it does make a difference and I can quote some examples if needed.

Should I renew now with a 930 (coming to Optus soon) or should I wait for McLaren? Will that be really groundbreaking??

Also, how's Android doing now? I know my TF201, first tablet to have quad core bla bla supposed tobe super good was a real letdown. But with SGS5, One M8 and others, are they now really smooth and good compared to say 930? Will they get updated with official OS instead of needing to hack it? I really liked the developer preview option in Windows.

Really need some unbiased opinion here.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
If you want to enjoy windows phone and it's services like onedrive , here maps, go for an upgrade. But yes the new 3D touch technology in upcoming devices is groundbreaking in my opinion. If you can wait , it's better since you will get a newer device (you might miss glance screen on lumia 930 , McLaren should support glance ) :smile: oh and the app is closing slowly

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
My opinion isn't unbiased, but I have a 920 and am waiting to see both the McLaren and the 1525. I almost upgraded to the 1520 last spring but am still happy with my 920 so don't feel any particular pressure. Every day I use it I am saving money. Good luck with your decision!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It does not look like the 930 is going to be released in the US for AT&T, but I'd skip it even if it were available. I'm happy with my 920 with 8.1 Preview, so I'll wait for McLaren this fall even though I'm eligible for an upgrade now.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Think I will most likely wait for November/December period then. Problem is, they might announce it then but sell it 6 months after that >.<

But thanks for the opinions guys...

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Should I renew now with a 930 (coming to Optus soon) or should I wait for McLaren? Will that be really groundbreaking??

People talk about McLaren as if it were some new phone due to hit stores soon. It's not. Its a codenamed device we know nothing about. We don't even know what it would be called, let alone it's features or price.
I realise people can get excited about new hardware, but I wish people would stop making plans on unannounced devices.

Also, how's Android doing now?

Pretty good actually, although that's not the answer you'd get from the loyal WP fanbase here. I reckon a lot of people converted to WP back when android was still maturing, and the problem is we still think Android is the buggy, laggy mess it was a couple of years ago.
To be completely unbiased, you should really give the M8 a try - it's a pretty good phone really and unlike anything we have on WP for the foreseeable future.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Should I continue to stick with WP? I like the OneNote, OneDrive, Here Maps and Drive. I can always outdo my wife in terms of getting the GPS to lock in and set me on the right direction while driving even though she has an iphone 5. I like the speed of the OS and the good camera function (at that time).

Depends on what you need really.
Two areas where WP / Lumia devices consistently outperform the competition are:
1) Photography (especially with a PureView device)
2) Turn-by-turn navigation.

On the whole question on "missing apps", this has been discussed to death, but it doesn't change the fact that app selection on WP is pretty miserable, particularly when you compare it to the Appstore.

I know the community is going to jump on me for saying that, so don't take my word for it, this article from WPCentral's own Sam Sabri last week confirms this:
iOS App Store vs Windows Phone Store in 2014 – How do they compare?
(Can't put the link here - post getting marked as spam)

(To be unbiased, you should also read the follow-up consolatory article on apps available on WP exclusively; its a hilarious list:
These are some great apps you'll only find on Windows Phone)

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it is precisely because of those two articles that made me think hard about my commitment to windows phone.

Navigation and camera are two big things I use a lot of the time. IPhone camera is good, but how does l930 compare to it? From my knowledge, I don't know think there's an equivalent for android camera, although android navigation is good and comparable to here drive.

Thanks for your sound advice in regards to waiting for something that hasn't been confirmed, I might end up waiting a year lol...

I guess seeing how lumia 930 just launched officially worldwide, it is quite unlikely another flagship will come out in 1year worldwide. I wonder if I could gamble and wait for l1020 successor. No idea when or whether there will be one... Really admire the camera prowess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett