Windows Phone in the UK, should I switch?

W

WPCentral Question

I'm currently an iOS user and I have also used Android. My main concern with mobile devices is security/malware.

But I'm bored of iOS. I played about with Windows Phone about a year ago, quite liked the idea of live tiles the only reason I didn't choose WP 8 was teh App Gap.

But over the past few months I notice I mainly use my phone for .. well a phone, texting, Facebook, Twitter, Spotify and turnby turn navigation. Gaming is a secondary use but do enjoy it. I also like to take the odd photograph, I generally use a DSLR but I don't always carry it about and I do enjoy the odd candid photo from my phone.

Looking about I believe the Lumia 930 would suit me needs, its modern tech and good design. Also I have read that the camera is really good. My current concern is what are the Windows Phone services like in the UK, like maps and Cortana?

PabsTheGeek

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm the OP of this question, after much surfing about WP8.1 and L930 I will be getting this device ASAP, hopefully on Thursday depending on O2. Plus registered here :)

One more question, I have multiple Gmail boxes, can I have these sync to the phone at the same time?

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Didn't try multiple Gmail but I believe yes, the default mailbox app works well with my single gmail (and other emails) and when i click add email account, i can still select adding another gmail account.

Pilot_Lumia

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm the OP of this question, after much surfing about WP8.1 and L930 I will be getting this device ASAP, hopefully on Thursday depending on O2. Plus registered here :)

One more question, I have multiple Gmail boxes, can I have these sync to the phone at the same time?

Wp maps even here in New Zealand work perfectly fine. I use it as a GPS while driving. I also have multiple Gmail accounts synced into the default mail "app". You can set it up through system settings and it will separate out through different mail shortcuts. A friend of mine used to have an iPhone 4s but I got to convince her in getting a 920. She said the experience was no where near an iPhone. I, personally don't despise any iPhone because they are definitely made very well... I still consider buying an iPhone coming from WP but there's a small chance I will actually buy one because of its price. I'm only using the midrange 625 but it feels like I'm using a high end because of its OS. Even for the 520, the OS is very swift and fully featured. My point is, for a low price, you can have the same experience as any high end Lumia, except for the camera of course. Good luck!! Hope that helps :)

Pilot_Lumia

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently an iOS user and I have also used Android. My main concern with mobile devices is security/malware.

But I'm bored of iOS. I played about with Windows Phone about a year ago, quite liked the idea of live tiles the only reason I didn't choose WP 8 was teh App Gap.

But over the past few months I notice I mainly use my phone for .. well a phone, texting, Facebook, Twitter, Spotify and turnby turn navigation. Gaming is a secondary use but do enjoy it. I also like to take the odd photograph, I generally use a DSLR but I don't always carry it about and I do enjoy the odd candid photo from my phone.

Looking about I believe the Lumia 930 would suit me needs, its modern tech and good design. Also I have read that the camera is really good. My current concern is what are the Windows Phone services like in the UK, like maps and Cortana?

I got my 625 on boxing day and I must say... The apps have been developing rather quickly. Sometimes, you'll get frustrated with not having apps that people have on iPhones and androids but what I notice is, they always come out months later.. This could be a bad thing but is also a good thing because it shows that WP is definitely catching up with the apps. They make good ones too! Not all of them of course but you know what I mean... I must say, from WP 7.8 to wp8 there is a huge and worth it jump. I'd probably say the same with WP8 to wp8.1, maybe even more so.. My point this time is, MS is developing WP very well so far from what I've seen and its a great feeling to be a part of that development. In a couple of years time, you'll be looking at how MS did it so well..

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

i am not from UK, so cannot give opinion on those queries. but one thing is sure out of experience, Nokia Maps are really nice and works very well even in off line mode.

AwesomeLewis24

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks peeps! I'll be switching ;-)

Great to hear!

You'll love the WP 8.1 experience - it will be so refreshing from you when you come straight out of iOS. Have you got your device yet? My current mobile operator (Virgin Media) here in the UK offer some great deals. A Windows Phone 8.1 Lumia 630 (Brand new, may I add) for cheap.

Personally I prefer Virgin Media. They've been great this past 3 years with my Lumia 620 and my BB Curve 8520. I've currently got unlimited web data and that is perfect for when I use my phone as WiFi for long drives in the car (Tethering). I can phone signal basically everywhere and their customer support is great! Give Virgin a go - plus you can get discounts if you have Virgin Broadband / TV.. :winktongue:

Pilot_Lumia

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'll be getting the Lumia 930.... nothing short of Flagship for me :)

Great choice! Future proofing is important with smartphones these days. I always get the newest model even with the extra price from its release. But I usually find the best discounted price so I feel good about buying the right one. Let us know about your experience with your new 930! :D Is it the green colour?

PabsTheGeek

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Great choice! Future proofing is important with smartphones these days. I always get the newest model even with the extra price from its release. But I usually find the best discounted price so I feel good about buying the right one. Let us know about your experience with your new 930! :D Is it the green colour?

Not got it yet :) will hopefully be getting it on Thursday, not sure about the colour, I usually stick with black.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05