Hey all

My sons windows 7 netbook has given up and I'm in need of some help to get it running. Normally I can get them up and running but this time its completely past me as to what I need to do to get it working as my knowledge is ok but I'm no computer wiz.

Now problem is when it is turned on it shows the bios then changes to a black screen with just a flashing cursor and nothing else. I cant get to hit f8 as it seems windows has gone. Obviously I don't have a windows 7 disc and there is no cd tray anyways so what are my options please.
    Any help would be great
    07-14-2014 02:41 AM
    What Netbook are you using? Did it have a recovery partition?
    07-14-2014 04:04 AM
    I'm guessing that there's ever a problem with the hard drive, the boot partition is corrupted or (unlikely), your son has been messing around with system32 (I doubt, but there's quite a lot of pranks going on recently so this could be a case).

Like previously said, try and find a recovery partition. If that fails, try and burn a Windows 7 iso to a USB flash drive and enter your product key on the bottom of the laptop during installation. This is legal, and should test if the Hard Drive is fine. If the installation encounters problems problems or the OS messes up, then it's probably a problem with the hard drive.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-14-2014 07:43 AM
    I'm guessing that there's ever a problem with the hard drive, the boot partition is corrupted or (unlikely), your son has been messing around with system32 (I doubt, but there's quite a lot of pranks going on recently so this could be a case).

Like previously said, try and find a recovery partition. If that fails, try and burn a Windows 7 iso to a USB flash drive and enter your product key on the bottom of the laptop during installation. This is legal, and should test if the Hard Drive is fine. If the installation encounters problems problems or the OS messes up, then it's probably a problem with the hard drive.
    Where can I find an iso from? Its win 7 basic and the model is a Acer aspire one.i have tried the recovery but I cant get to it or its not there anymore
    07-14-2014 02:01 PM
    Where can I find an iso from? Its win 7 basic and the model is a Acer aspire one.i have tried the recovery but I cant get to it or its not there anymore
    This may help: When can I download the Windows 7 Home Basic ISO? - Microsoft Community

but I fear the hard drive has gone south as others have said
    07-14-2014 02:37 PM
    use a linux live cd and first backup all data then proceed to install linux (just to test the hdd) etc and see if linux crashes on you
    if yes, its hardware related if not its safe to reinstall windows using the product key found on your netbooks base
    i had a similiar issue with my old vaio,linux worked perfect but windows 7 and xp werent for some reason,i reinstalled windows 7 and it works perfect now
    07-14-2014 02:45 PM
    use a linux live cd and first backup all data then proceed to install linux (just to test the hdd) etc and see if linux crashes on you
    if yes, its hardware related if not its safe to reinstall windows using the product key found on your netbooks base
    i had a similiar issue with my old vaio,linux worked perfect but windows 7 and xp werent for some reason,i reinstalled windows 7 and it works perfect now
    Where can I find this?
    07-14-2014 03:02 PM
    Where can I find this?
    There are a brazilion different flavors and such under the umbrella term "Linux"

One of the most famous is Ubuntu, so you might want to start there. (just a quick Google/Duck/Bing/Ask search away)
    07-14-2014 05:29 PM
    yeah ubuntu is a user friendly flavour try testing it and backup your data
    07-14-2014 11:29 PM
    Or turn it into a Steambox! ;)
    07-14-2014 11:39 PM
    Or turn it into a Steambox! ;)
    I don't think that will go very far
    07-15-2014 08:00 PM
    I don't think that will go very far
    yeah especially since its still in beta and unstable
    07-16-2014 05:16 AM