Cracked my Lumia 1520 screen -- how to tell if I just need glass replacement or full LCD?

W

WPCentral Question

Well, I dropped my Nokia Luma 1520 and it got a nice crack on the upper left corner with a couple hairline cracks going further down the phone. I would rather attempt to replace it myself than pay to send it in somewhere for repairs.

I've had this phone for only 1.5 weeks so I'm really not looking to pay $200 or so for repairs. The thing is, I don't know how to tell what screen parts need replacing, so if anyone could help I'd appreciate it. The screen is still working, have had no glitches of any kind on it yet, just the big ol' crack in the corner.

So my question is can I just get the glass replacement part?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Well, I dropped my Nokia Luma 1520 and it got a nice crack on the upper left corner with a couple hairline cracks going further down the phone. I would rather attempt to replace it myself than pay to send it in somewhere for repairs.

I've had this phone for only 1.5 weeks so I'm really not looking to pay $200 or so for repairs. The thing is, I don't know how to tell what screen parts need replacing, so if anyone could help I'd appreciate it. The screen is still working, have had no glitches of any kind on it yet, just the big ol' crack in the corner.

So my question is can I just get the glass replacement part?

use hardware tests (app) and select the tests for the screen(all tests including colour etc)
they will charge you for both unless you do it yourself with parts off the internet or have a third party do it for you

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Place some good clear tape on the screen. Now power the device on and try running through the functionality of the phone including swiping in every corner and edge of the phone. If it works then you need a digitizer, if it does not then you need a full LCD.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Tested the screen with the hardware tests app and all is in working order there, so I'm assuming that means I don't need a full LCD replacement at least.

That is correct. Find a local shop that might be able to do just the digitizer replacement. It is quite difficult on devices like the 1520 by itself and sometime you end up having to replace the whole LCD assembly which does run about $200. Any chance you have a Square Trade Warranty or Insurance through your mobile carrier?

Jane Scearce

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
My carrier is AT&T, and from what I understand the do not cover physical damage, but I don't know if that's the policy regardless of insurance or if they have insurance plans that do cover physical damage and it's only if you DON'T have one of those that they won't cover physical damage. I will have to check my account to see what exactly I have in my plan.

Do repair shops charge much for just a digitizer replacement?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My carrier is AT&T, and from what I understand the do not cover physical damage, but I don't know if that's the policy regardless of insurance or if they have insurance plans that do cover physical damage and it's only if you DON'T have one of those that they won't cover physical damage. I will have to check my account to see what exactly I have in my plan.

Do repair shops charge much for just a digitizer replacement?
Don't know about repair shops. I am a do it yourself type. If I come across a good shop I'll recommend it to you. Where are you located? I am in CA, near Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa