Windows Phone calendars

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused about something on my Lumia 925. I only ever added birthdays to my phone by importing my existing contacts from Google to my Live account which then synced with my phone. But when I look online at live-dot-com, my calendar months show two entries for EVERY birthday. When I click the first one it says, source: "Outlook-dot-com" and the other just takes me to a popup editing window to edit that event. Why are there two? It's sort of messy keeping superfluous things in a calendar and not knowing which is tied to the phone, etc.

UPDATE: I've now noticed that I have two calendars. A 'birthday calendar' that can not have anything but birthdays added to it and another one with my name. But it gets more confusing because people I entered myself into my calendar DONT show up on my birthday calendar the way Outlook's help pages suggest but rather only on my other calendar. More confused than ever.

Last edited:

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
When I set up my 920, I added my Outlook account as a separate email account, only to find out is was already syncing everything in Outlook because that is the MS ID I used to set up the phone... I had dupes everywhere. By deleting my manually-added Outlook account, I was able to eliminate the duplicates.

If only calendar items are duplicated, go to the calendar and tap the ... in the lower right corner to select settings. You'll be able to see which calendars are displaying information. You can clear the checkboxes to hide the content associated with that calendar.

One thing that might be exacerbating your calendar problem: if you have Google linked to your Outlook Online account (viewable in your web browser on your PC), much of the data in Google is linked to your Outlook account. The one that is 'display only' is probably sourced from Google while the one you can edit is sourced from the imported information that is now part of Outlook.

BTW, in Outlook Online, if you go to People... if you see duplicate records for a single contact, you can link them here (which you may have already done with some records on your phone). Click on a person's name for which you have multiple records, then look up at the menu bar at the top. Click the Link command to link other records from other sources (google, facebook, Skype, etc.). Easier to do here than on the small screen.

godse573

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Ive had that problem, thing was my Facebook account was linked to the calendar app, and it wanted to force duplicates because my Hotmail and live accounts were linked to it. Easy fix for Google as well, just go into settings and there will be options to show what goes where:

If only calendar items are duplicated, go to the calendar and tap the ... in the lower right corner to select settings. You'll be able to see which calendars are displaying information. You can clear the checkboxes to hide the content associated with that calendar.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
When I set up my 920...
Ive had that problem...
Let me try explaining again. I think I've not described what I did properly. In very short point form. ;)
- New Windows Phone, contacts on Google from Android phone. (Only used gmail for contact management on Android, so no connection exists to Google)
- Import Google contacts to Live account to get them synced to Windows Phone
- Calendar I created called 'my calendar' has all my birthdays. Calendar called "Birthday Calendar" got created on its own.
- I want to delete one, probably the 'my calendar' since the other one seems to be a default for any contacts with birthdays entered.
- Bizarrely, some of the birthdays, even when I go into the contact to edit them, still remain on the "my calendar" and won't ever save themselves in the "Birthdays Calendar". But I hate the idea of them both sitting there. Yeah, even if I can hide one. I know, picky.

Thanks.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Let me try explaining again. I think I've not described what I did properly. In very short point form. ;)
- New Windows Phone, contacts on Google from Android phone. (Only used gmail for contact management on Android, so no connection exists to Google)
- Import Google contacts to Live account to get them synced to Windows Phone
- Calendar I created called 'my calendar' has all my birthdays. Calendar called "Birthday Calendar" got created on its own.
- I want to delete one, probably the 'my calendar' since the other one seems to be a default for any contacts with birthdays entered.
- Bizarrely, some of the birthdays, even when I go into the contact to edit them, still remain on the "my calendar" and won't ever save themselves in the "Birthdays Calendar". But I hate the idea of them both sitting there. Yeah, even if I can hide one. I know, picky.

Thanks.

Outlook/People will pull birthday information from profiles your contacts have set up, facebook, and whatever other sources are connected to Outlook. If you add birthday info to a calendar (because you sooo don't dare forget some birthdays), then it will show up twice. I've hidden the birthday calendar (calendar settings) because there are so many other things I track in my calendar and frankly, I don't need birthday reminders for all my FB friends... OR you can temporarily hide the birthday calendar and then delete the editable birthday info. Display birthday calendar again, and voila! birthdays display once and you have your personal calendar visible for other events.

Am I understanding correctly?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99