Cortana UK

Steve Clews

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
MS have said that next week Cortana will be released in the UK for developer's I.e those on 8.1 dev preview and then later in the year it will be released to all using 8.1 presumably after the cyan update finally makes it's rounds. My question is if I get Cortina on my 8.1 dev preview does this mean I will loose it again when the cyan update comes out for my model and region and update from preview to cyan? Then have to wait again until Cortana officially released in the UK

Steve Clews

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, which sort of brings me back to the initial question, with a cyan update bundled with 8.1 does this mean that I would then loose Cortana. I think I may have answered my own question but not sure. I take it then that I can get Cortana next week fingers crossed in the UK using 8.1 dev preview. When cyan rolls out with 8.1 bundled it will update my OS as well meaning I am no longer in preview thus meaning I loose Cortana again. Or if I have got this wrong does it mean I will get cyan but no changes to my current 8.1 preview. Sorry to be a pain but the preview has been great and had no issues, but just want Cortana now. However if there are changes between preview and 8.1 then this is important to know and a balance needs to be looked at.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, which sort of brings me back to the initial question, with a cyan update bundled with 8.1 does this mean that I would then loose Cortana. I think I may have answered my own question but not sure. I take it then that I can get Cortana next week fingers crossed in the UK using 8.1 dev preview. When cyan rolls out with 8.1 bundled it will update my OS as well meaning I am no longer in preview thus meaning I loose Cortana again. Or if I have got this wrong does it mean I will get cyan but no changes to my current 8.1 preview. Sorry to be a pain but the preview has been great and had no issues, but just want Cortana now. However if there are changes between preview and 8.1 then this is important to know and a balance needs to be looked at.

Being pain not at all bud it's my pleasure that I am helping you over here on WPCentral forums. Ok let's recall what I posted ;) cortana is a part of OS(cyan has nothing to do with voice assistant ). If next week cyan is Available for your device you can still enable cortana by changing your region to US else if cortana is ready to be travel UK, you can get her by setting your phone to UK region. Cyan is just a firmware update for lumia hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it's easier to think of Cortana as being switched on. Next week she is switched on for anyone using the developer preview, if you then get updated to the cyan update you won't lose Cortana unless you opt out of the developer preview.

Later on this year Cortana will be switched on no matter whether you are on the developer preview or not, so you won't be able to get rid of her whatever you try at that point.

Steve Clews

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
No probs matey I think a tweet released by MS may have caused some confussion,,,well for me at least in that it said Cortana will be available for those using 8.1 preview in the UK and it seems if your not using preview you will get it later in the year. I understand about cyan as you explained but was just concerned that after updating to cyan with the bundled stable version of 8.1 that I would loose the ability to use her till later in the year. I am currently looking at developing an add on app for HealthVault and want to learn how to develops Cortana into this so obviously don't want to loose her soon after getting her but need to retain UK region for testing.
Really appreciate you help and comments.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm on a Lumia 930, and have switched regions to the US. Next week, I'll switch back to the UK and lose Cortana, until I opt into the dev preview.

By November, most of Europe will have 8.1 and therefore, Cortana.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
My experience based in London England. I had DP 8.1 with cortana (region,language and keyboard set to us) got cortana.

I rolled back to 8.0 all English settings

Officially got 8.1 and cyan through giffgaff

No cortana and lost some games I cant redownload

Hope that helps

Steve Clews

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
My experience based in London England. I had DP 8.1 with cortana (region,language and keyboard set to us) got cortana.

I rolled back to 8.0 all English settings

Officially got 8.1 and cyan through giffgaff

No cortana and lost some games I cant redownload

Hope that helps

You should be ok when Cortana comes to UK hopefully next week as you signed up for the dev preview, she is on your phone but hidden if you are set to UK at the moment. I was told that when the switch is flipped on the server for the UK that we only then need to reboot our phones to enable her. If you were to go to US settings though she would appear on your phone but you might as well wait till next week pal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes