Nokia Lumia 820 or 920?

Master Chaos5

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi!
I've been a Windows Phone user for a long time, and I love it.
So now I want my gf to switch to Windows Phone! So that's why I have decided that I'll give her a Windows Phone on her birthday.
The thing is I can't decide between Nokia Lumia 820 and 920. While 930 is also a decent option I decided not to go overboard, as she is new to WP.
So what do you guys suggest? While Lumia 920 has better camera it does not have SD Card slot, which is a bummer. My gf downloads lots of movies/music (She filled up iPhone 4s 64 GB... Don't ask me how). On the other hand she loves to takes pic so defiantly she would love a better camera.
What do you guys suggest? Is 32 GB enough? I personally own a 1520 so no storage issues for me.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
if she has no problem switching media in and out occasionally using the sync program 32 GB should be fine.
The 920 is way better than the 820 in terms of battery life, screen quality, camera quality, and potentially support (I think it'll be supported better than 820)

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Geez. I've got a 920 and after a year, only up to about 17 GB used. But then, I figure a 1,000 songs or so is enough.

Is it possible that she's got a ton of pics and videos she's created filling up her storage? Setting to auto upload to OneDrive could alleviate that, although it won't auto-delete them from the phone.

There is another thread similar to this, but I can't link to it in this forum (URLs not allowed thanks to spammers).

The gist of the issue is a husband who is trying to convince his wife to replace her iPhone with a WP. Dangerous. Truthfully, it would be better to have her whining that she wants a phone like yours than have her pissed because you didn't get her a new iPhone (which will be announced at the end of September).

You need to go through her apps, one by one, and make sure that any that she uses are available or have an equivalent. We don't have Candy Crush or Kim Kardashian around here... Of bigger concern, of course, is her bank, restaurant ordering apps she actually uses, Google tools, etc. Also of concern is interactivity with her car. You don't mention where you live, but since the 930 isn't available in the US, I'm assuming elsewhere. Here in the US, none of the carmakers fully support WP with their phone interface, particularly for audio and navigation options.

There are good step-by-step instructions on windowsphone.com how-to (yeah, I know, who reads the manual?) about transferring music from iTunes, etc.

And if you're gonna do it, I'd go Red 920 with a wireless charger (iPhones don't have that) and some NFC tags so she can create her own tags. Fashion designer Halston once said, "when it doubt, wear red." :D

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless she cares about AMOLED, expansion, swappable, smaller battery, and a slightly more compact device, I'd go for the 920.

The camera is great, especially the OIS.
Built in Qi is a boon for me, but doesn't matter to most, probably.
However, 32 could be a problem, get her input.
Nicer display too, but could be a kinda big device. (compare to size of GSIII)

Master Chaos5

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Ok. So I looked through her apps and found out that most of the apps are present on WP.
However there are are few apps that aren't available and she said she can't live without them.
Here are the apps that she has in her iPhone. So please suggest me some alternative to the apps that are not present on WP.

Facebook
Foursquare
Spotify
Snap Chat
Candy Crush Saga
Twitter
WhatsApp
Shazam
Instagram
YouTube
Dictionary
Google Translator
Waze
Eye (The Game)
Yelp!
Retrica
SoundCloud
Google Chrome
IMDB
Piano Tiles
Password Manager
Facetime
Viber
Music Player
And about 10 other photography apps.

Now most of the apps are present on WP. But she said she needed these apps no matter what.
Retrica
Candy Crush Saga
Sound Cloud
WhatsApp
Shazam
Music Player (That allows you to rate your own music).
Now we have WhatsApp which is decent, we also have some decent 3rd party SoundCloud clients.
But idk about Shazam, Retrica & Music Player.
Shazam sucks so much & there is no Candy Crush & Retrica for WP. And I also don't know any app that allows you to rate your own music.
So please suggest me some alternatives for,
Shazam
Music Player (that allows you to rate your own music)
Retrica
SoundCloud
Candy Crush.
Thanks!
Oh btw she said she can live with 32 GB lol

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
for shazam you can use soundhound (or even the bing/Cortana music search)
sadly no candy crush or retrica.
are you absolutely sure she wants a WP? iPhone users are often very close-minded and if they switch OS and that OS doesn't behave exactly like iOS they get either very bored or very frustrated.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
There are quite a few camera/photo apps that will do what retrica does, but if she's been using retrica for awhile, there will be some learning curve and you can be certain to hear about that (we like what we know and we're all adverse to change). D/L some of these to your 1520 and let her play a bit...

All of these allow you to customize the pic before you take it and can also be used to edit existing pics in your library:
SophieLens for Nokia
OneLens
Camera360
ProShot (all the features of a DSLR camera)

Edit from your saved pics:
Black
Pictures Lab
Nokia Refocus

There are several SoundCloud clients with thousands of good ratings. Some only allow downloading, some allow uploads/sharing. Do a search for soundcloud in the WP store and you'll find:
Audiocloud
SoundCloud+
SoundClouda
MusicCloud

I'm afraid Candy Crush is the dealbreaker here. There are lots of match 3 candy games, but if she's on Candy Crush, she's probably playing/gifting with friends (although as she levels up, there are fewer and fewer friends playing at the same level). I was a huge CC fan on FB, but I've noticed that very few friends actually play it any more. There are lots of XBox Live games that let you rack up brownie points (good for bragging rights only) and certainly a huge gaming community, but Candy Crush's dev, King, has either made a bargain with the fruit company or they just don't deem us worthy. In the case of your GFs CC addiction, you know what you're up against.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo