How to know if you go onto a fake WiFi hotspot

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I was at a doctors office and while I was in the waiting room I decided to check to see if there was free WiFi. There was but as soon as I tapped to connect it said something about the certificate being insecure or something like that. I decided to proceed and then accepted to the terms and conditions and went on. But now I am wondering if I went to a fake one since the whole certificate thing. It did bring me to their website after I accepted and went to history and went to it at home and such and it was the legit website but however I don't remember seeing any advertisement for the free service. What do you think?

anon(5379091)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh, that sounds bad. Never use Wi-Fi you don't know/trust, specially when you were warned about something being wrong with some certificate.
Scam is not the only thing you should be aware of, there are others attacks that you could have been the victim of, such as man in the middle, etc.
Did you log in to any site or submitted sensitive information while using that wireless connection?
Don't be surprised if they tell you that Wi-Fi is not theirs. There are access points that could be kept inside a cup of Starbucks.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786