E-mail on Windows Phone

W

WPCentral Question

Hi,

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 with WP 8.0. I have e-mail from BT which I get on my computer using outlook. I also get my e-mail on my 920 but when I delete e-mails they don't delete on my computer. If I have not been on the computer in a while I have loads on new e-mails which I have already read.

When I had an iPhone it would delete the e-mails so I didn't have loads on my computer. Also when I load outlook on the computer all the e-mails in my inbox on my 920 are gone.

Anyone know if this can be sorted? You would think WP would have this option as Microsoft make Outlook.

Cheers.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed this as well. Apparently if you open an email and close it, then it forces the mail client to update the server that messages have been deleted. Something along those lines anyway. Don't ask why, but that's what I've read.

I agree though, it's not the best email client and some form of Outlook would be much better since it has other parts of MS Office.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like email is set up as a POP account instead of an IMAP one

If it worked on an iPhone no reason why it cant on Windows Phone
Not sure what the settings are off hand, but do BT still use Yahoo for mail?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hmm. POP3 the emails would stay on the server until they are downloaded by a client with the option "delete from server after download", so any clients could connect and still get the emails, until the POP server receives the delete command. Generally, web based emails would support both options, just depends what you set when you added the account.

That's my understanding of POP3 anyway - gave up on that many moons ago when I discovered IMAP.

Lord Andy

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. Looks like it was a problem caused by me being on POP instead of IMAP. Must of happened when I changed my laptop and phone.

This has been doing my head in for over a year.

Thank you so much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire