Viewing websites on Nokia 930 in desktop mode?

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I have just read a review of the Nokia 930 which states, if I have understood it correctly, that you can only use IE as a browser so presumably can't use any others, and that you can only view websites in their mobile versions, not the full desktop versions.

Is this correct? If so it's a serious deal breaker for me. Most mobile sites have vastly reduced functionality, not least eBay and as an eBay seller I want and need access to the full site when I am out and about. Accessing my full account details is a core function of my business.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Partially true. IE is the stock browser. Most others don't quite match it for simplistic usability. There are a few 3td party browsers, but nothing to the level of Android. You can view sites in 'full' desktop mode, but they are small and hard to navigate. You can select either Mobile or Desktop view in settings.

Said Ali

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
The bing version doesn't allow you to change mobile to desktop, but you have a seperate Internet explorer that is installed by default, from the settings there you can change from Mobile to Desktop. Look for the IE icon

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you both, very helpful. I'm not a huge fan of IE but if I can access Desktop versions of sites that's fine. I'm assuming you can zoom in? If so then it should not be any different from using Android in that respect.

I have always had Android phones in the past but I like the 930 a lot.

Said Ali

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Trust me, i know how you feel, I've hated IE + Bing on my PC/laptop for many years, but i finally gave in.. IE is so simple and easy to use, the drop down menu allows you to access its recent/favourties, pin to start which is handy and easy to use.

When i first got my Nokia Lumia 520, i kept switching the option to "Desktop version" then soon after i realised.... Mobile Version is actually easier and better to use for the phone :p and now i have my 930, i've kept it on Mobile version

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Never had an Android or iOS phone, so can't compare. You can zoom in on sites, but I find it a bit clumsy at best. The eBay mobile and app are ok, but for what you seem to need it for....I don't know. You can get to the desktop site from the mobile website.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Any eBay seller would tell you that using the site in mobile mode is a non-starter. You only get 3 tabs, items you are watching, buying or selling. You need to know what you have sold, who to, if you need to relist, amend quantities and so on. It's just a physical impossibility in the mobile version because none of those options exist, it's basically just an item browser.

Strange that zooming in should feel clumsy, it's a breeze on Android and on my touchscreen laptop which is also W8.1

I think I might need to take a look at a working model before I take the plunge but the only place I can buy near to where I live is only a small store with dummy models, and the nearest major store its miles away.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes I did but could not find anything relevant. I spend a lot of time researching almost everything I buy but it's tricky with phones in particular because most sites are simply trying to plug the products, and the rest seem to slate Windows phones just because they don't do things the same way as Android or iOS - my view is that they were never meant to, but should be viewed as a credible alternative.

Thanks for your help anyway everybody, I have ordered one anyway so we'll find out soon enough.

Last edited:

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Looking good so far, it arrived this afternoon and like the delivery, the phone is incredibly quick and smooth. I need to get used to the OS and there are a few things I haven't quite worked out yet, just posted a thread relating to a couple of them.

Very happy so far though, the only real disappointment is I really wanted the orange one and my carrier didn't sell it. Oh and the idiots sent me a micro sim instead of a nano one so I haven't used it for calls yet.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos