Lag on home screen after GDR1.

renatobirth

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys, I searched here in the forum but found nothing about my problem. I wonder if anyone here got lag on the home screen after upgrading to GDR1? Do not know if it's because I have created 10 folders with apps and my device only have 512 RAM (Lumia 620), but the worst is that even after a reset the problem continues ...

renatobirth

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it lags. It happens when you choose a picture background for your Start Screen. It becomes smooth if you remove the picture background and keep the phone accent.

Exactly, the problem only happens when the home screen is in the picture background. I think it is a hardware issue because on my brother's phone (Lumia 820) does not have this problem after updating to GDR1.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, the problem only happens when the home screen is in the picture background. I think it is a hardware issue because on my brother's phone (Lumia 820) does not have this problem after updating to GDR1.
Did you mean RAM? IF yes, I disagree here. My phone has 1 gigs of RAM and it should not lag in that case, but it did.
MS has not optimized Live Folders with Picture Background. That appears a reason.

renatobirth

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Did you mean RAM? IF yes, I disagree here. My phone has 1 gigs of RAM and it should not lag in that case, but it did.
MS has not optimized Live Folders with Picture Background. That appears a reason.

Maybe it's the processor? Comparing the models, the Lumia 820 quoted above has 1.5 GHz Dual Core and 620/525 have 1.0GHz. The 820 dont lag even with the background image.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Maybe it's the processor? Comparing the models, the Lumia 820 quoted above has 1.5 GHz Dual Core and 620/525 have 1.0GHz.

Dual Core processor is more than enough to multitask. If its the processor, then again MS should have optimized it. There is no excuse of not doing so. There are many models that lack Quad-Core processor and they should have tested this bug on all models.

renatobirth

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Dual Core processor is more than enough to multitask. If its the processor, then again MS should have optimized it. There is no excuse of not doing so. There are many models that lack Quad-Core processor and they should have tested this bug on all models.

True, I hope that MS soon launch a small update, if possible, correcting this problem and other bugs that have occurred in this update.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
My 520 does show a lag everytime I go to start(that's because of the picture background), but after adding 5 folders, it freezes for a second everytime I try to move a tile. Overall it's painful.
Update: It only happens when I'm installing an app, otherwise its fine.

PipoDj

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I thought it is just me. My Lumia 820's start screen was smooth and lag free before updating to update 1. now it's lagging and indeed even after reset and yes i am using a background not accent color. what's also weird is it's as if the live tiles became placeholders for the apps instead of the app shortcuts themselves. you see, when i scroll very fast in the start screen, im only seeing my background and the squares but i don't see the apps. only after the scrolling does the app icons/colors/live reappear with noticeable lag too. it's as if a webpage is loading with photos. I am beginning to think WindowsPhone's reputation of blazingly-fast-lag-free experience is on the rocks-about to keel over and fall.

MARKjotep

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
^ so you think thats it? It wont be fixed anymore?? expect to experience some kind of lags since you are enrolled to dev preview and since you signed up for it, you agreed to become a beta tester..

lags can be fixed. Keep calm and wait for update. lol.

renatobirth

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I thought it is just me. My Lumia 820's start screen was smooth and lag free before updating to update 1. now it's lagging and indeed even after reset and yes i am using a background not accent color. what's also weird is it's as if the live tiles became placeholders for the apps instead of the app shortcuts themselves. you see, when i scroll very fast in the start screen, im only seeing my background and the squares but i don't see the apps. only after the scrolling does the app icons/colors/live reappear with noticeable lag too. it's as if a webpage is loading with photos. I am beginning to think WindowsPhone's reputation of blazingly-fast-lag-free experience is on the rocks-about to keel over and fall.

Your apps are on the SD card? I believe, if not wrong, that passing all apps to SD card and releasing more space on the phone memory will help to make it faster. Another tip is to disable background applications and the notifications (in the central) of some apps.

PipoDj

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
^ so you think thats it? It wont be fixed anymore?? expect to experience some kind of lags since you are enrolled to dev preview and since you signed up for it, you agreed to become a beta tester..

lags can be fixed. Keep calm and wait for update. lol.

oh please don't get the impression that i regret using the developer preview i love it actually. i am merely stating the observations that i have. here's to hoping our beloved MS is aware of this and a fix is underway but it seems that's not the case yet. so yeah the lag free experience is on the precipice for now. anyway the observation are there in the hopes they become aware - i remember WPcentral mentioning that the people behind windows phone are actively reading the comments/forums - so who knows they will read this :)

PipoDj

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Your apps are on the SD card? I believe, if not wrong, that passing all apps to SD card and releasing more space on the phone memory will help to make it faster. Another tip is to disable background applications and the notifications (in the central) of some apps.
i have moved all games to the SD card. and i have been policing the apps running in the background so i think it's not those. oh well i guess these are the pains for getting into the DP - not that i regret it, it's just that these are annoyances i have to live with.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Nope, that will not help. Moving apps to the SD card will not free the kind of memory you need for performance. Where the apps are stored doesn't affect RAM.

renatobirth

May 29, 2014
Visit site
i have moved all games to the SD card. and i have been policing the apps running in the background so i think it's not those. oh well i guess these are the pains for getting into the DP - not that i regret it, it's just that these are annoyances i have to live with.

It's strange this lag on your device because it has good hardware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo