Lumia 525 1080p Video Recording

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

Hello
Lumia 525 sports a MSM8227 as SOC and 1GB ram. Over the paper it should be truly capable of recording 1080p videos.
My question is that what prevents it to be a 1080p snapper?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
you're kidding
Not really, folks here on the forums have that certain 520s have a 1080p option in Nokia camera, I'm not whether it works though..I can atleast confirm that I've seen multiple screenshots and confirmations from different folks on multiple threads...go figure :)

Edit: Okay i take my words back :\

It was a discussion about the 625 where some had 1080 while some did not. So as it stands, the 520 does support only 720P recording....apologize for the confusion

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I own 525, and it is ridicules to not to have FullHD recording while it is more than capable for this option. How can we ask Nokia for this option?

and how do you know for sure it's capable? there's some potential evidence but no smoking gun.
Did you have a hand in making the phone?

Its a low end phone, surely you can't expect everything? Now a flagship without 1080p... (Personally 1080p isn't very important to me)

now I don't know for sure it isn't capable either, just playing devil's advocate.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello
Lumia 525 sports a MSM8227 as SOC and 1GB ram. Over the paper it should be truly capable of recording 1080p videos.
My question is that what prevents it to be a 1080p snapper?
You should go check Qualcomm's website on this issue, or go check Snapdragon's Wikipedia page and check the processor used in the Lumia 520.

To simply put this both the camera sensor nor the processor support 1080p capture, RAM has barely anything to do with this.
It's 1ghz processor isn't cable of handling that recording it requires 1.2ghz minimum
Nope. While most people think more cores or higher clock speed always means better performance or more features, this is wrong.

The 800 MHz iPhone 4S processor is capable of 1080p capture, because the processor used is of very high quality.
I own 525, and it is ridicules to not to have FullHD recording while it is more than capable for this option. How can we ask Nokia for this option?
Ridiculous to not have 1080p? Is there any other device in this price range that records 720p?

You guys should actually be grateful because in my experience the 720p capture on the Lumia 520 is actually pretty good compared to say the Moto G.

Plus photo/video capture is a mixture of the capability of both the processor and the camera sensor.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
How is a 5MP sensor not capable of 1080p? A 3MP camera is capable of 1080p.
I'm not an expert on this specific topic and for more in-depth look into this you would have to ask a camera engineer or something.

However camera sensors have limits, if the theory you guys are applying is true it would mean every 8.4MP or above camera sensor can support 4K capture.

It's not that simple and it has something to do with a smooth frame rate and bitrate(Google it).

There are "hidden potentials" of some camera sensors on devices for example people say the Sony sensor used on the iPhone 4S is capable of 4K capture but only in 4:3 and the processor doesn't support it.

The LG G2 was a device with a processor that could handle 4K and a very good camera sensor and someone in the Android community actually managed to get 4k @ 30 FPS on it and 720p @ 120fps, so there are hidden potentials of some camera sensors that OEMs do not use.

But in the 520's case the camera sensor is at best 'okay' and even if the camera sensor supported 1080p it would have a terrible bitrate and it would be in 4:3(16:9 is preferred in video) but leaving all that aside the simple answer is that even if the camera supported it, the processor wouldn't.

RAM has barely anything to do with this and someone asked a Sony representative why the Xperia Z2 had 4K recording and the Xperia Z1 with almost identical and 4k capable hardware did not get 4k and he replied by saying that 3GB RAM is required for 4k, which is a big lie considering that Galaxy S5, OnePlus One and LG G2 have only 2GB.

However I am deviating from the topic here, 512 MB RAM is probably the minimum required for 1080p capture but a more powerful processor and camera sensor is required which the Lumia 520 and 525 do not have, sadly.

But if it is any consolation during my time of owning the Lumia 520 the 720p capture was nothing short of spectacular considering the price of the device and as long as you are not in lowlight conditions it managed to get some pretty worthy footage.

Sorry for such a long answer but I like educating people on this forum.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not an expert on this specific topic and for more in-depth look into this you would have to ask a camera engineer or something.

However camera sensors have limits, if the theory you guys are applying is true it would mean every 8.4MP or above camera sensor can support 4K capture.

It's not that simple and it has something to do with a smooth frame rate and bitrate(Google it).

There are "hidden potentials" of some camera sensors on devices for example people say the Sony sensor used on the iPhone 4S is capable of 4K capture but only in 4:3 and the processor doesn't support it.

The LG G2 was a device with a processor that could handle 4K and a very good camera sensor and someone in the Android community actually managed to get 4k @ 30 FPS on it and 720p @ 120fps, so there are hidden potentials of some camera sensors that OEMs do not use.

But in the 520's case the camera sensor is at best 'okay' and even if the camera sensor supported 1080p it would have a terrible bitrate and it would be in 4:3(16:9 is preferred in video) but leaving all that aside the simple answer is that even if the camera supported it, the processor wouldn't.

RAM has barely anything to do with this and someone asked a Sony representative why the Xperia Z2 had 4K recording and the Xperia Z1 with almost identical and 4k capable hardware did not get 4k and he replied by saying that 3GB RAM is required for 4k, which is a big lie considering that Galaxy S5, OnePlus One and LG G2 have only 2GB.

However I am deviating from the topic here, 512 MB RAM is probably the minimum required for 1080p capture but a more powerful processor and camera sensor is required which the Lumia 520 and 525 do not have, sadly.

But if it is any consolation during my time of owning the Lumia 520 the 720p capture was nothing short of spectacular considering the price of the device and as long as you are not in lowlight conditions it managed to get some pretty worthy footage.

Thanks for your generosity in sharing your knowledge! Very helpful! Thanks :grin:

To OP: Lumia 530 can only capture video in 480p... Speaking about successors ==

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

It does mean a ~8.4MP (ill take your word for it, although there is a difference between total resolution and usable resolution in a sensor) can record 4k. It need a processor capable of supporting the bandwidth necessary, as 4k bandwidth is quite high. That is all processing related.

That is probably the issue here, with the 52X. Camera is capable, processor is not

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your generosity in sharing your knowledge! Very helpful! Thanks :grin:

To OP: Lumia 530 can only capture video in 480p... Speaking about successors ==

I think they're just shifting the Lumia line down to give the 7 and 800's room to breath. The successor is probably the 630, think of it that way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss