Lumia 525 1080p Video Recording

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

Hello
Lumia 525 sports a MSM8227 as SOC and 1GB ram. Over the paper it should be truly capable of recording 1080p videos.
My question is that what prevents it to be a 1080p snapper?

Typhy

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm not an expert on this specific topic and for more in-depth look into this you would have to ask a camera engineer or something.

However camera sensors have limits, if the theory you guys are applying is true it would mean every 8.4MP or above camera sensor can support 4K capture.

It's not that simple and it has something to do with a smooth frame rate and bitrate(Google it).

There are "hidden potentials" of some camera sensors on devices for example people say the Sony sensor used on the iPhone 4S is capable of 4K capture but only in 4:3 and the processor doesn't support it.
O god, are you joking? just check the specification of Snapdragon s4 plus.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The 800 MHz iPhone 4S processor is capable of 1080p capture, because the processor used is of very high quality.
Actually it's just Extremely optimised due to how Apple only made one phone every year. Now they make two phones but the 5c is really just a 5 in plastic. Put that chip in an android Phone and you'll see the lag.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
O god, are you joking? just check the specification of Snapdragon s4 plus.
If you are talking about the specifications you should read that it says "up to 1080p", why does it say 1080p? The reason is that Snapdragon S4 had many many variants.

Just for reference I'll say this:

The Lumia 520 came with a low-end Snapdragon S4 that was capable of 1080p playback but not of 1080p capture.

Whereas the Nexus 4 and Xperia Z came with a high end Snapdragon S4 processor capable of 1080p capture and playback.

In short 1080p capture is not possible on the 520 and 525.
Actually it's just Extremely optimised due to how Apple only made one phone every year. Now they make two phones but the 5c is really just a 5 in plastic. Put that chip in an android Phone and you'll see the lag.
Yeah, I agree.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Typhy

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
If you are talking about the specifications you should read that it says "up to 1080p", why does it say 1080p? The reason is that Snapdragon S4 had many many variants.

Just for reference I'll say this:

The Lumia 520 came with a low-end Snapdragon S4 that was capable of 1080p playback but not of 1080p capture.

Whereas the Nexus 4 and Xperia Z came with a high end Snapdragon S4 processor capable of 1080p capture and playback.

In short 1080p capture is not possible on the 520 and 525.

Yeah, I agree.

You may know or not, video actually is handled by GPU and this portion is the same in all different S4 plus SOCs, there is so many devices with this GPU that can record 1080P. Adreno 305 is actually a really good GPU and its processing power is about 20Gflops, which is more than enough to handle 1080P (encode or decode).

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I think both cam sensor and SOC can handle FullHD recording, but Nokia limited it to 720P to urge customers to go with lumia 820 and up.
Just to confirm what you've said, video encoding/capture is much more of a CPU intensive task, while the GPU can handle certain parts of it, it is still mostly work done by CPU. In this case the CPU of the 520 is weak.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
But what some of you seem to overlook is the fact that having 720p capture on a 5 Megapixel sensors allows you to even zoom in and lose very little detail in the process.

And the 720p capture on the 520 is quite good.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
To clear up confusion for both of you, Wikipedia lists it as S4 Plus however it is not a high-end variant.

The GPU is capable of only 720p, but surprisingly can playback 1080p as well. But as far as 1080p capture goes, not possible.

uneje6uv.jpg

Typhy

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
To clear up confusion for both of you, Wikipedia lists it as S4 Plus however it is not a high-end variant.

The GPU is capable of only 720p, but surprisingly can playback 1080p as well. But as far as 1080p capture goes, not possible.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/uneje6uv.jpg

Second sentence make your first sentence invalid! How could you rely on this reference?
Wikipedia is filled up by people like me and you, if it has not any reliable reference it is not credible. Please speak based upon a reliable reference.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Second sentence make your first sentence invalid! How could you rely on this reference?
Wikipedia is filled up by people like me and you, if it has not any reliable reference it is not credible. Please speak based upon a reliable reference.
Wikipedia may not be perfect however no better source of such huge information exists, you should argue if any of the information provided is wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo