Will WP8 devices be updated to WP9??

hotraia

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Will WP8 devices be updated to WP9??
if yes would it be for all devices or the high end devices?
if they did would be updates like 8.2, 8.3, 8.X? And what is the difference between 8.2, 8.3, 8.X and 9, 9.1 ,9.2 9.X??

Last edited:

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Well also they've also allowed a bunch of phones with 512GB of RAM and budget CPUs to be released and they can't afford to lose their users which are mostly at the entry-level. These users preferably won't want to spend money just to get another new phone one year after buying a new one

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
No one knows because WP9 doesnt even exist, as far as we know. Even then, at some point WP8 devices launched over 2 years prior will stop getting updates, you cant expect Microsoft to provide updates forever. But knowing the entitlement mentality of people today it will be turned into a huge issue if MS doesnt provide an update so for that reason I hope they do.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What sometimes bothers me is that WP 8.1 IS pretty much WP9!
Heck, there was a review calling it the .1 update thats more like a 2.0 update!

As more devices come out, MS will have to juggle them all, there's going to be a breaking point or something sometime, I know it. They won't be able to win. I predict slower, but continued updates as more models are released.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
No one knows because WP9 doesnt even exist, as far as we know. Even then, at some point WP8 devices launched over 2 years prior will stop getting updates, you cant expect Microsoft to provide updates forever. But knowing the entitlement mentality of people today it will be turned into a huge issue if MS doesnt provide an update so for that reason I hope they do.
If my 1520 will not be able to upgrade to wp9... Sorry Microsoft but I will leave the platform. I had an iPhone before and I was able to upgrade the iPhone OS with not problem. Why is so difficult for Microsoft to do it?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If my 1520 will not be able to upgrade to wp9... Sorry Microsoft but I will leave the platform. I had an iPhone before and I was able to upgrade the iPhone OS with not problem. Why is so difficult for Microsoft to do it?

So you think the iphone you had would get updates forever? And Microsoft hasn't "done" anything yet so why the panic? Don't you enjoy the phone you have now, why the rush for an unknown update?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
So you think the iphone you had would get updates forever? And Microsoft hasn't "done" anything yet so why the panic? Don't you enjoy the phone you have now, why the rush for an unknown update?

I didn't said that the iPhone receive upgrades forever. However the iPhone 4s was able to get upgrades from IOS 4 to IOS 7... That's like 3 upgrades. I am a Microsoft fan but if they don't play fair with the OS upgrades on our high-end phones... I will leave the platform.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I didn't said that the iPhone receive upgrades forever. However the iPhone 4s was able to get upgrades from IOS 4 to IOS 7... That's like 3 upgrades. I am a Microsoft fan but if they don't play fair with the OS upgrades on our high-end phones... I will leave the platform.

while you're technically right, i don't think you can directly compare them. I recall iOS 6 not introducing many significant new features. (OK fine, small things and a new, less glossy look.) 0.1 number bumps over there hardly brought anything new, where in our case, its practically a whole 1.0 or 2.0 jump. Don't even think about the 0.0.1 updates. Where we got some minor .1 worthy upgrades, it sounds like a lot less than it is.
iPhone 4: iOS 4 - 7 (not considering features removed, etc.)
iPhone 4s is still current.

Heck, Android is still on 4.x, major updates getting a .1 bump like us.
OK fine, and then L came along.

Well, I expect the 1520 to still continue on as a 8/9 break would be a massive PR failure regardless of the actual support provided.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
while you're technically right, i don't think you can directly compare them. I recall iOS 6 not introducing many significant new features. (OK fine, small things and a new, less glossy look.) 0.1 number bumps over there hardly brought anything new, where in our case, its practically a whole 1.0 or 2.0 jump. Don't even think about the 0.0.1 updates. Where we got some minor .1 worthy upgrades, it sounds like a lot less than it is.
iPhone 4: iOS 4 - 7 (not considering features removed, etc.)
iPhone 4s is still current.

Heck, Android is still on 4.x, major updates getting a .1 bump like us.
OK fine, and then L came along.

Well, I expect the 1520 to still continue on as a 8/9 break would be a massive PR failure regardless of the actual support provided.

I am telling you if we don't receive another major OS upgrade in our 1520, I will say goodbye to Windows Phone.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Android might not get updates but they overcome that by releasing google play services which will allow you to install almost all new apps.but wp has rather low apps collection.MS has to make available great apps to WP 8 owners through app like ms services if wp 8 is not upgradable to WP 9.if they drop complete support for WP 8 devices they will loose their market share.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb