Will WP8 devices be updated to WP9??

hotraia

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Will WP8 devices be updated to WP9??
if yes would it be for all devices or the high end devices?
if they did would be updates like 8.2, 8.3, 8.X? And what is the difference between 8.2, 8.3, 8.X and 9, 9.1 ,9.2 9.X??

Last edited:

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
lets hope it will... but maybe not... point is, now that they starting launch new handsets with also new oem'S in a few months no one will buy because they will not be upgraded to WP9... my oppinion...

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, it depends on how "elitist" MS want to be - more recent models like the 930 and 1520 have better hardware and will probably offer a better "experience" on the new OS. That said, I do remember someone from MS saying that the only reason WP7 devices could not jump to WP8 was because of the complete OS overall + kernel change resulting in different hardware requirements. They won't be making such a big change in terms of the system itself again as the whole point was to move Windows to a universal kernel/core. Once again depends on if MS thinks Lumia 920 hardware can run the new OS with a good "experience" (I.e. no lag, no glitches etc.)

hotraia

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, it depends on how "elitist" MS want to be - more recent models like the 930 and 1520 have better hardware and will probably offer a better "experience" on the new OS. That said, I do remember someone from MS saying that the only reason WP7 devices could not jump to WP8 was because of the complete OS overall + kernel change resulting in different hardware requirements. They won't be making such a big change in terms of the system itself again as the whole point was to move Windows to a universal kernel/core. Once again depends on if MS thinks Lumia 920 hardware can run the new OS with a good "experience" (I.e. no lag, no glitches etc.)

Thanks.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
It will more than likely be available through Developer Preview but sometimes Carriers decide not to send out over the air updates cause your phone may be old. I'm gonna go with a firm Yes it will be available.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Alright folks listen to your pal here as I will tell you a story.

TL:DR, Architectural Difference between WP7 and WP8 plus the weak hardware from WP7 prevented the upgrade possibility to WP8, however WP8 to WP9 is a possibility at least since it's the same architecture, however the "weak" hardware may prevent it from working.

You see a long time ago (3 years around) when Windows Phone 7 was still a thing. Microsoft decided to use a different type of Windows for Windows Phone 7 called Windows CE (or Windows Embedded if you prefer) now Windows CE is a kernel level program that Microsoft create for low-profile devices like smartphones, Point of Sales, lottery machines, basically anything with an embedded computer. The Windows we know is called Windows NT or New Technology (although it's been around since 2000) which is what powers Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and Windows Phone 8. Because of an architectural difference in the kernels it was technically impossible for Windows Phone 7 devices to upgrade to 8 because of the kernel level programming was completely different.

Of course you could simply say: Why not just remove everything from the phone including the kernel and slap Windows Phone 8 on it? Well let's be honest here, every WP8 device has at least a dual core CPU while every WP7.x device was a single core CPU, the performance issues would of been monstrous and to be frankly honest, would of made Windows Phone in an even worst position then it is now. Windows Phone is known for it's smoothness and fluid like operating system, it is not like an Android phone where it lags like a ******* when you put to much junk in it, because your hardware was too slow.

Now Windows Phone 9 I imagine will still run on the Windows NT kernel, which means technically yes it's possible, however the hardware difference from WP8 release and WP9 release may make a difference between it being possible to impossible. Of course since I said you can technically install it, some hacker would probably try it.

Piyush Jain3

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Well lumia 520 525 720 620 625 covers a very large amount of wp8 database and I anyone think that Lumia 820 and 920 are not going to get wp9 update all the above phone will also not get update... And that will doom the Microsoft windows phone division... And it wil be closed... So I am pretty much sure that Microsoft cant afford to do that... So I think even Lumia 520 525 and 620 will get windows phone 9 update

Piyush Jain3

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Moreover according to some 1520 1320 635 only are goind to get wp9 update... And 85% of windows phone will not get wp9 update because they have dual core processor... And if that true and after some time 1% share also impossible for msft to achieve in world's smartphone OS share....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa