OS/Firmware updates, Microsoft and Partners

mindhere

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
No one is really pointing fingers leading to my deciding to lump them all together. I recall when Lumia Amber was announced by Microsoft (and Nokia was not defunct), the official releases didn't take so long to arrive. I was almost prepared to put it to the efficiency of the system; I actually did. Fast forward and it is 2014. First, it was the WP 8.1 release which was to arrive on eagle's wings in January. Cut very long story short, hopes were crushed when Microsoft decided to play Side B of the cassette to disgruntled enthusiasts. Well, I would forgive that delay having seen the grandeur of the 8.1 update. Great work, good stuff. That was 4 months ago, if I didn't lose my count. (And there are only 12 of such months in a year, if anyone needs to be reminded.) Lumia Cyan came much later than could be warranted, especially given the paucity of its content. But again, those who had their hands on the DP wouldn't complain that much. It's mid-August and still no Cyan even though Nokia and Microsoft are now married. Here is my fear: If now that only a sizable number of Lumia models are out there Microsoft is struggling with putting updates on our phones, what will happen three years down the line assuming the current rate of releases of Windows phones?
Perhaps, Satya has already seen this and so made the recent move to rejig the company. I want to believe Microsoft does not need anyone to tell them that the singular greatest thing that the smartphone era ushered in is the magic of OS and apps UPDATES.

InvisGhost

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
First off, writing huge posts like this is a great way to prevent ever getting a reply. No one wants to read a post with a bunch of meaningless stuff. Keep your posts short and straight to the point.

I'm not quite sure what your question is.

Are you asking what will happen for future updates?
You aren't going to get official answers about that from here. You'll get people speculating and saying what they hope. The answer to your question is that you'll need wait to find out,

Are you complaining about the time it's taking to get Cyan?
You should probably give us more information then. Like your phone make/model, your mobile operator, your region, etc. These things take time. The steps are:
  • Microsoft has to make the update (This has been done).
  • The OEM has to create the firmware update for the specific model and country variant and implement any mobile operator features/locks.
  • (Only Applicable to Branded Phones) The mobile operator has to update their apps and ensure the update doesn't break anything or chew through data for no reason on their network.
Step 2 and 3 go back and forth while the mobile operator requests more changes from the OEM and then testing is re-done.

Are you asking something else?
Next time write a post that doesn't go off on random tangents every other sentence.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
No one is really pointing fingers leading to my deciding to lump them all together. I recall when Lumia Amber was announced by Microsoft (and Nokia was not defunct), the official releases didn't take so long to arrive. I was almost prepared to put it to the efficiency of the system; I actually did. Fast forward and it is 2014. First, it was the WP 8.1 release which was to arrive on eagle's wings in January. Cut very long story short, hopes were crushed when Microsoft decided to play Side B of the cassette to disgruntled enthusiasts. Well, I would forgive that delay having seen the grandeur of the 8.1 update. Great work, good stuff. That was 4 months ago, if I didn't lose my count. (And there are only 12 of such months in a year, if anyone needs to be reminded.) Lumia Cyan came much later than could be warranted, especially given the paucity of its content. But again, those who had their hands on the DP wouldn't complain that much. It's mid-August and still no Cyan even though Nokia and Microsoft are now married. Here is my fear: If now that only a sizable number of Lumia models are out there Microsoft is struggling with putting updates on our phones, what will happen three years down the line assuming the current rate of releases of Windows phones?
Perhaps, Satya has already seen this and so made the recent move to rejig the company. I want to believe Microsoft does not need anyone to tell them that the singular greatest thing that the smartphone era ushered in is the magic of OS and apps UPDATES.

So what? Deal with it. It is what it is. Go have another cup of coffee. The world of big business doesn't care about you, or me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon